PDA

View Full Version : Safety Items Question

Bobby821
06-20-2016, 12:56 PM
I will be doing a small hand fired show with fountains and 200 Gram cakes and 500 Gram cakes as well as Artillery shells. I am planning on wearing gloves and jeans, but should I also get a hard hat or will a ball cap work? basically is a hard hat overkill for these items? My 12 yo son will be lighting things with me in an alternating fashion. I am planning on setting up 2 shooting stands made out of old metal square milk bottle crates like the square plastic ones are today but made from metal with a big flat patio paver set on top for a flat surface to set the items on. I am planning on getting 2 cinder blocks the kind with 2 holes to set on each stand and putting 2 Excalibur mortar tubes in each hole to support the mortars with and that way we can alternate and him light 1 and then me and then we can load the second mortar up with a new shell while waiting on the first one to cool down to dump and reuse in alternating fashion. Does this sound like it will work ok? My son is 12 he will be 13 in July and has helped me in years past with a smaller scale show than what I am planning this year and I want him protected as much as possible. I work with him for weeks prior on training so he knows what to do. We will be using punks to light with, I thought about using flares but didn't know if that was overkill for this type of show or not?

Thanks for taking time to read this and for any advice you guys and gals have to offer.

Bobby

nayslayer
06-20-2016, 02:22 PM
I'm new at this backyard show stuff as well, but i know they will have issue with throwing a shell in a hot tube.

CafreakinBOOM
06-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Hi Bobby821

Well I would not use the crates. Fireworks are designed to be placed on a flat hard surface Ideally the ground. Making yourself a little table could be dangerous as the cakes or mortar tubes bounce a bit at times. I don't know how you would be able to place anything to help avoid them being tipped over. Yes if your son will wear a hard hat then that would be cool. A long sleeve thick cotton shirt or a jacket. I would not even think about doing this show with punks, I would use a torch. Also have a water hose near by you with a sprayer and make sure you turn on the faucet before you start the show. If you do need the water it will be available a couple of yards from you. Also the hose would NOT be used to turn off any firework that has already lit. I did not hear you say or mention anything about lighting, you will each need your own flashlight. Don't forget about your ear protection, and some goggles. If you don't protect your eyes then how will you be able to enjoy watching fireworks in the future? Make sure your viewers are at a safe distance, fireworks look better at a safe distance anyway. You can also watch some of Dave's videos, they are packed with useful information and safety. Have a Great 4TH.

CafreakinBOOM:cool:

apellet
06-20-2016, 07:04 PM
Why don't you invest in a mortar rack? A small one (i.e. holds 8-10 tubes) will not only allow you faster shots but safer ones as well. Or, if you're the handy type, build one yourself. There's some great videos on here that demonstrate the process. Good luck!

ras1986
06-20-2016, 08:06 PM
Yall leave this guy alone. He's way over killing everything. @bobby821 looks l8ke you got everything planned out. If you wanna wear a hard hat, then do so. Safer the better. A cotton based hat would work just fine and safety glasses wouldn't hurt. U planned out the tubes well, one hot one cool, smart! I'm glad your worried about safety, most including myself aren't. I will tell you, I have reloaded hundreds back to back in hot tubes and never had a problem. The most at once back to back was around 30, drop, light, boom, drop, light, boom. Never any issues. Have fun buddy!!!

Bobby821
06-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Why don't you invest in a mortar rack? A small one (i.e. holds 8-10 tubes) will not only allow you faster shots but safer ones as well. Or, if you're the handy type, build one yourself. There's some great videos on here that demonstrate the process. Good luck!

I plan on buying racks and tubes in the off season or next year and I am also thinking about purchasing a small to medium electronic firing system . This was basically a spur of the moment decision and I had to choose between better fireworks or investing in racks this year so I chose to put the money in fireworks I have spent close to 300.00 so far. This is for a gathering of people at my church, we have a member who lives out in the country and that's where we will be having it at. Basically anyone is open to bring the fireworks they want and I am going to have 2 shooting stands set up for people to fire there stuff from and I will do my show last. I have used this stand setup for a few years now as it is not easy for me to bend down that far to the ground anymore and it gets it so people aren't hovering over the top of the item they are lighting. And yes I am somewhat of a safety freak because I do not want to be responsible for anyone getting injured or setting anyone's house or property on fire that does no good in trying to get the bans on fireworks lifted as they are fairly safe if everyone would just follow safety procedures and not get all stupid with them.

ras1986
06-20-2016, 10:35 PM
I plan on buying racks and tubes in the off season or next year and I am also thinking about purchasing a small to medium electronic firing system . This was basically a spur of the moment decision and I had to choose between better fireworks or investing in racks this year so I chose to put the money in fireworks I have spent close to 300.00 so far. This is for a gathering of people at my church, we have a member who lives out in the country and that's where we will be having it at. Basically anyone is open to bring the fireworks they want and I am going to have 2 shooting stands set up for people to fire there stuff from and I will do my show last. I have used this stand setup for a few years now as it is not easy for me to bend down that far to the ground anymore and it gets it so people aren't hovering over the top of the item they are lighting. And yes I am somewhat of a safety freak because I do not want to be responsible for anyone getting injured or setting anyone's house or property on fire that does no good in trying to get the bans on fireworks lifted as they are fairly safe if everyone would just follow safety procedures and not get all stupid with them.

We'll said friend!!! Good job!

apellet
06-21-2016, 11:23 AM

I completely understand! I was also thinking it may be a great bonding activity for you and your son to do together, since you mentioned he was involved. Either way, I hope you have a great show!

Bobby821
06-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Yep, he is all in. We did some smoke balls and snakes yesterday evening he is raring to go.

fatcat
06-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Since you are playing with something that can potentially really hurt/kill you, You can't be too safe. I like your thinking. Also as you progress and increase the size of your shows and if you still handlight you may want to purchase some torches (bernz o matic)

Bobby821
06-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Would you recommend torches over road flares?

ras1986
06-21-2016, 07:54 PM

For sure a 45 dollar push button 1500 degree torch is the best thing for fireworks Imo. It's on when u need it and off when u don't. It also light anything that touchest it in about .001 seconds. Good buy from a hardware store.. on the welding and tool aisle

Bobby821
06-21-2016, 11:11 PM
For sure a 45 dollar push button 1500 degree torch is the best thing for fireworks Imo. It's on when u need it and off when u don't. It also light anything that touchest it in about .001 seconds. Good buy from a hardware store.. on the welding and tool aisle

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

ilovecrackle
06-21-2016, 11:51 PM

I use the TS4000. Best $43 I ever spent. :)

Rocketshooter
06-22-2016, 10:14 AM
+1 They are the best!!

I use the TS4000. Best $43 I ever spent. :)