PDA

View Full Version : Making a Color Shell

KentuckyPyro
06-19-2016, 05:21 AM
Nobody freak out, I'm not going to do it. (Waiting to here back on ATF 54 application) But if someone were to make their own color shells, are there any chemicals that would have to be purchased with an atf 54 license or could it all be ordered from a distributor? Just curious about which chemicals are being regulated.. If im not mistaken the BP is the only thing, right?

PyroJoeNEPA
06-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Building shells requires knowledge, experience, and, if you are new at it as you suggest--mentoring by someone than can show you the safe and proper way to do things. I would parallel it to building a house. You can't just go out & buy lumber, nails, shingles, windows & doors, etc. & think you could simply "assemble it.
The short answer to your question is that no, the chems are not regulated by BATF, but there are regulations & restrictions on what you can order & have shipped. Also, some of the chemicals used are very toxic & others can not be mixed with certain compounds...lots of "stuff" involved here!!!
If you are interested in pursuing building, I would suggest looking into a pyro club in your state and talk to them about "manufacture". Some clubs only shoot product, other clubs are greatly involved in building shells, rockets, etc. For example--I belong to two pyro clubs in PA--one is a "drop it & shoot it" club, the other is "yeah!! let's build some of those!!".
I would also suggest you seek out Ned Gorsky's site fireworking.com. Ned is a past PGI Grand Master and has a site dedicated strictly to builders from novice to Grand Master level. He is a walking data base of knowledge and has pyro builders from around the world on his site sharing their successes & failures alike.
Also, on your question of the black powder--you are allowed to have up to 50 pounds in your possession. But, most pyros make their own--BP can cost from $7.00 to $23.00 a pound depending where you are buying it & in what quantities---but it can be made for a couple dollars a pound.
I hope this is helpful to you. And, by the way, a type 54 is NOT required to make shells for yourself as a hobby--BUT--once they are assembled, they must be stored in an approved magazine.

KentuckyPyro
06-20-2016, 06:59 AM
Building shells requires knowledge, experience, and, if you are new at it as you suggest--mentoring by someone than can show you the safe and proper way to do things. I would parallel it to building a house. You can't just go out & buy lumber, nails, shingles, windows & doors, etc. & think you could simply "assemble it.
The short answer to your question is that no, the chems are not regulated by BATF, but there are regulations & restrictions on what you can order & have shipped. Also, some of the chemicals used are very toxic & others can not be mixed with certain compounds...lots of "stuff" involved here!!!
If you are interested in pursuing building, I would suggest looking into a pyro club in your state and talk to them about "manufacture". Some clubs only shoot product, other clubs are greatly involved in building shells, rockets, etc. For example--I belong to two pyro clubs in PA--one is a "drop it & shoot it" club, the other is "yeah!! let's build some of those!!".
I would also suggest you seek out Ned Gorsky's site fireworking.com. Ned is a past PGI Grand Master and has a site dedicated strictly to builders from novice to Grand Master level. He is a walking data base of knowledge and has pyro builders from around the world on his site sharing their successes & failures alike.
Also, on your question of the black powder--you are allowed to have up to 50 pounds in your possession. But, most pyros make their own--BP can cost from $7.00 to $23.00 a pound depending where you are buying it & in what quantities---but it can be made for a couple dollars a pound.
I hope this is helpful to you. And, by the way, a type 54 is NOT required to make shells for yourself as a hobby--BUT--once they are assembled, they must be stored in an approved magazine.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. I dont plan on trying to build a shell anytime soon. I was just curious about restrictions that may or may not come with the ingredients.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-23-2016, 03:58 AM
Nobody freak out, I'm not going to do it. (Waiting to here back on ATF 54 application) But if someone were to make their own color shells, are there any chemicals that would have to be purchased with an atf 54 license or could it all be ordered from a distributor? Just curious about which chemicals are being regulated.. If im not mistaken the BP is the only thing, right?

My pyro buddy and I joined a pyro club last week. We spent 6 hours making something called "fly-a-ways" (I think). These things are about the size of an M-80 and they go inside a shell (about 40-60 per shell I'm told). We were making them for a charity shoot next month at the Boggy Creek Children's Camp here in Florida. As the FNG's, we were making the tubes and plugs while the other guys were mixing the chemicals and testing the colors. I swear.... I didn't realize you needed a degree in chemical engineering in order to make fireworks. These guys were talking about magnesium-this and calcium-something or another that, and other nonsense I can't even remember. It was all dry chemicals that they screened (3 times!) and mixed with acetone into a jelly that they squeezed into the tubes using a restaurant style catsup bottle. Quite an involved and time consuming process. These guys have been doing it for years I guess. The one guy I talked to has been in this guild for 22 years! If I last that long hopefully I'll understand how to make a 12" mortar without killing myself. I was going to ask if there were any ATF rules about doing what we were doing, but I didn't want to ask any questions where I didn't like the answer. At least not on my first visit to the club!