PDA

View Full Version : A year of several firsts for me....

JmFnG
06-03-2016, 12:08 PM
After several years of FW enthusiasm, I'm psyched that this year will be my first opportunity to:

- Build/use mortar racks (5x10 50-shot fanned, and a pair of 12 or 15 shot 'W' racks; Reloading sucks)

- Use a firing system (24-cue/6-module Chinese; woohoo)

- Set up multiple stations to fire simultaneously (like a *real* show)

- Poke cakes (to trigger subsequent cakes)

- Pull apart cakes to reassemble (starting simple with a trio of Red Razzle to make three 5x5 fans)

I've planned out my lumber needs, miscellaneous supplies, station layout, safety measures, and fusing type/lengths. We shoot out of state, so I can't physically prep anything at home...but I am busying myself with the minutia of cake order/pairing and the timing of my racks.

Oh yeah, and reading just about EVERY-SINGLE-THING on this forum. :)

Bazerk
06-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Congrats man! Keep it up but dont go broke doing it, lol. Your moving along great.

JmFnG
06-03-2016, 01:34 PM
Congrats man! Keep it up but dont go broke doing it, lol. Your moving along great.

Hey, I like skipping meals now and then. ;)

Bazerk
06-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Hey, I like skipping meals now and then. ;)

I dont, but I also dont like skimping on my pyro so I just work harder. I am fortunate enough to be able to make money whenever I want/need to because of what I do so when I want another Cobra 18M, Ill do another side job and buy it, lol.

JmFnG
06-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Nice. I'm in a similar boat; self-employed and fortunate enough to turn down work on a regular basis thanks to a full schedule (after many years of scrambling to stay busy). Instead of building the pyro stash with household funds, I put away proceeds from *extra* gigs.

Looking forward to going wholesale next year and really making the most of my budget.

Bazerk
06-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Nice. I'm in a similar boat; self-employed and fortunate enough to turn down work on a regular basis thanks to a full schedule (after many years of scrambling to stay busy). Instead of building the pyro stash with household funds, I put away proceeds from *extra* gigs.

Looking forward to going wholesale next year and really making the most of my budget.

Thats awesome! Your story is going exactly like mine did. I am doing thw wholesale thing for the first time this year and my money goes A LOT further now than it did before. Where abouts in Florida are you again?

JmFnG
06-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Thats awesome! Your story is going exactly like mine did. I am doing thw wholesale thing for the first time this year and my money goes A LOT further now than it did before. Where abouts in Florida are you again?

Not too far from Downtown St. Pete.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-07-2016, 01:21 AM
After several years of FW enthusiasm, I'm psyched that this year will be my first opportunity to:

- Build/use mortar racks (5x10 50-shot fanned, and a pair of 12 or 15 shot 'W' racks; Reloading sucks)

- Use a firing system (24-cue/6-module Chinese; woohoo)

- Set up multiple stations to fire simultaneously (like a *real* show)

- Poke cakes (to trigger subsequent cakes)

- Pull apart cakes to reassemble (starting simple with a trio of Red Razzle to make three 5x5 fans)

I've planned out my lumber needs, miscellaneous supplies, station layout, safety measures, and fusing type/lengths. We shoot out of state, so I can't physically prep anything at home...but I am busying myself with the minutia of cake order/pairing and the timing of my racks.

Oh yeah, and reading just about EVERY-SINGLE-THING on this forum. :)

I'm with you JmFnG. This will be my first year using a remote firing system too. Very much looking forward to it. I'm still ticked that I wasn't able to get any high steppers this year. The past few years I tried to separate them and fuse them to go off at the same time. Rarely worked. The remote firing system would make that happen easily, but now I can't get them. Grrrr.... Oh well.

Good luck with your show! I hope everything goes as planned.

JmFnG
06-07-2016, 01:20 PM
I'm with you JmFnG. This will be my first year using a remote firing system too. Very much looking forward to it. I'm still ticked that I wasn't able to get any high steppers this year. The past few years I tried to separate them and fuse them to go off at the same time. Rarely worked. The remote firing system would make that happen easily, but now I can't get them. Grrrr.... Oh well.

Good luck with your show! I hope everything goes as planned.

Thanks! One thing I've learned from years in show business: It will NEVER be perfect, even for experienced professionals. It becomes more about how someone prepares for/reacts to unexpected events.

That said, I'm just doing whatever I can to have a solid plan in place in order to discourage those pesky gremlins!

Good luck with your new system, Rick. I'm sure it'll be a blast! :rolleyes:

Rick_In_Tampa
06-08-2016, 12:52 AM
Thanks! One thing I've learned from years in show business: It will NEVER be perfect, even for experienced professionals. It becomes more about how someone prepares for/reacts to unexpected events.

That said, I'm just doing whatever I can to have a solid plan in place in order to discourage those pesky gremlins!

Good luck with your new system, Rick. I'm sure it'll be a blast! :rolleyes:

Thank you Sir! If the weather cooperates this year, I'm expecting great things with the new firing kit.

On another note.... Are you a member of FPAG per chance? My buddy and I plan on joining this month. Looks like a great group to learn from.

JmFnG
06-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Thank you Sir! If the weather cooperates this year, I'm expecting great things with the new firing kit.

On another note.... Are you a member of FPAG per chance? My buddy and I plan on joining this month. Looks like a great group to learn from.

Hadn't looked into it, yet...but I will now that you've mentioned it. I'm liking the idea of connecting with other firebugs in the area. I'm also considering doing a few shows with the Sky Candy fellas down in Brandon. Super nice guys....I was psyched to find an opportunity to get some *real* experience. Slippery slope, indeed.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-09-2016, 01:12 AM
Hadn't looked into it, yet...but I will now that you've mentioned it. I'm liking the idea of connecting with other firebugs in the area. I'm also considering doing a few shows with the Sky Candy fellas down in Brandon. Super nice guys....I was psyched to find an opportunity to get some *real* experience. Slippery slope, indeed.

Sky Candy? Never heard of them. I'll have to check them out. I'm right next door in Valrico.

The FPAG guys are meeting on the 18th. I'll PM you with the details.

JmFnG
06-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Sky Candy? Never heard of them. I'll have to check them out. I'm right next door in Valrico.

The FPAG guys are meeting on the 18th. I'll PM you with the details.

Coincidentally, the 18th is a rare Saturday off for me...just might be able to make it. Gotta get my ducks in a row.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-09-2016, 10:50 AM
Quack quack baby!! Quack quack!! :cool: