PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 show questions(prox to airstrip and 1.4 fireworks discharged nearby?)

tfb5701
06-01-2016, 09:22 PM
I'm doing a personal 1.3 display this year. I had some questions before submitting my display permit to the FM. I'm in Oklahoma if that helps. I haven't seen anything in the state statutes or my quick read of NFPA 1123.

1. There is a small private airstrip community nearby(grass runway, I think VFR only). I am directly west of the middle of the runway and it runs North/South so I'm not in the landing pattern or approach/takeoff areas. Distance from the runway to display site is approximately 4,000 ft, or 3/4 miles away. I can't find anything written about rules or distance regulations about private runways. Any ideas? I know it might be left up to the AHJ but I'd like to know beforehand if I might need to receive permission or if a notification is usually all thats required.

2. I am doing the display at a family independence day party. Usually we let people set of their own small 1.4 fireworks(mainly fountains, small cakes, etc) before the show in an area away from the main display. Obviously this would be outside of the secured diameter display area. I plan to have everything loaded and the tops of the tubes covered before people arrive. To anyones knowledge, are they any rules/regulations regarding the spacing between the 1.3 fireworks area and the discharge of 1.4 fireworks unrelated to the main display?

Pyro k
06-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Ive had the same question and you can see the response in one of my threads

displayfireworks1
06-08-2016, 12:53 PM
I am curious did I help you get the ATF license, not that it matters. Also are Consumer Fireworks legal to use in Oklahoma without a permit? What size of 1.3 product are you using?

fatcat
06-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Just a thought. If it is a private strip the rules might be different , but if that airport has no lighting systems nite operations might be prohibited. Might want to check with the owners or even call a flight school or even a FSS and ask If nite flight operations are prohibited, that might solve your problem. However if nite operations are permitted., It sounds like from your description, you could be located on the downwind leg of the traffic pattern. Might want to google the airport and see what it has to say.

Northern Sky
06-09-2016, 12:24 PM
I'd call your neighbor and invite them to the display. They would appreciate the invite I'm thinking and now you have a chance to meet your neighbors.

Now my pyro senses are perking up and am thinking that they have land and money, and pyro to the mix. That's what dreams are made of.

displayfireworks1
06-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Northern Sky didn't respond with an elaborate 1123 answer to this question. Something up!!! I am waiting for his response on what size 1.3 he plans on using and if all Consumer Fireworks are legal in Oklahoma before I answer.

tfb5701
06-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Sorry, I didn't notice the responses. Consumer fireworks are legal in Oklahoma. Everything from sparklers to 500 gram cakes. However, they don't allow bottle rockets and sky lanterns I think. The 1.3 product will be 2.5" up to 6".