PDA

View Full Version : quick question

hatsgoods
05-23-2016, 11:22 PM
does a 1.75 ball salute shell weigh more than a regular 1.75 inch color ball shell? im talking about the basic shells you find in the classic black box 6 pcs. this question just randomly can to me when i picked up a black box artillery shell kit and 2 shells felt way heavier than the other 4 shells. could i have stumbled upon 2 salute shells? i hope not because of the whole atf thing and the regulations that go along with salutes and firecrackers. any help i would love. thanks a lot in advance. :cool: i think they make kits that have color shells and salute shells in them but im not sure so that's why im asking. i wont be shooting these till around 4th of July for a family picnic in pa. as of now i do not have access to the box of shells as they are in storage in pa about 2.5 hrs away from me. i wish i'd took a picture of the kit box, mortar tube and shells to show you but all i remember is the 2 shells had white string on top and where not in foil. the are just plain brown paper wrap like regular festival balls. and last i remember that on the mortar tube was cardboard and black wrapper the said in white capital letters LAUNCH - TUBE.

jh35ky123
05-23-2016, 11:52 PM
You mean the black box 1.4 shells having (2) 1.3 salutes in them? I hope not. Last year I bought a case of 1.3 2in shells they were 6 color and 6 salute per box , cant say 100% but I don't remember any real weight difference in them.

Dmkaz
05-24-2016, 12:46 AM
I've had and seen various 1.4G 1.75" salutes over the years in various packaging. There's no real significant weight difference. The only one I've had that was noticeably heavier was a 1.75" canister black powder salute. Apart from that, there's almost no way to tell.

If you're talking about 1.3G - Different brand shells may weigh different since there's no limit on powder, just how much you can physically stuff inside. Different weights may attribute themselves to a 'different' type of effect/stars inside.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-24-2016, 05:55 PM
No difference in weight. 60 grams maximum composition. There might be a different "feel" to them because some of them might be "light" on the stuff inside---not the other way around--you can only get so much "stuff" in a tiny ball shell like that.

PGH_Pyro
05-25-2016, 05:32 PM
subjectively speaking, salutes always feel heavier, to me .

hatsgoods
05-25-2016, 05:44 PM
subjectively speaking, salutes always feel heavier, to me .

i would think the saulte would be heavier due to like maybey more composition in them? than stars. meaning you can put more lose flash than bunched up stars is my thinking.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-26-2016, 10:02 AM
i would think the saulte would be heavier due to like maybey more composition in them? than stars. meaning you can put more lose flash than bunched up stars is my thinking.
What is heavier---60 grams of lead or 60 grams of feathers???

Bazerk
05-26-2016, 10:21 AM

I love this question because for some reason it is perplexing to some people, lol. I threw this particular statement at a teacher and she kept insisting that 5lbs of rocks weighed more than 5lbs of feathers. Idiot.

nayslayer
05-26-2016, 11:05 AM
I love this question because for some reason it is perplexing to some people, lol. I threw this particular statement at a teacher and she kept insisting that 5lbs of rocks weighed more than 5lbs of feathers. Idiot.

wow, it's a real "heavy" concept for some...yeeaah...man...coool

Fire Art
05-26-2016, 11:06 AM

Let me know where to get some 60 gram 1.75 balls Joe! (with composition not lead)

chriskrc
05-26-2016, 11:09 AM

Dropping some knowledge. I wander how many people really thought long and hard on that one

Bazerk
05-26-2016, 11:46 AM
Dropping some knowledge. I wander how many people really thought long and hard on that one

Every person who gets offended by his post, lol.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-26-2016, 06:37 PM
Let me know where to get some 60 gram 1.75 balls Joe! (with composition not lead)

Well, it certainly took long enough for someone to pick up on that..... And the prize goes to "Big Al"!!! HAHAHA!
I might be able to get 60 grams of depleted uranium in a 1.75" ball shell--real "glow in the dark give you Gulf War Syndrome" shells...awww, FORGET IT--THE LEAD & FEATHERS IS COMPLEX ENOUGH FOR THIS THREAD! Hey, have fun at PyroFest this weekend.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-26-2016, 07:14 PM
Every person who gets offended by his post, lol.

Hmmmmm--I don't know why anyone would get offended???
Weight is weight & volume is volume --two different criteria.
A half full glass of lead does weigh more than a half full glass of feathers
--oh wait--is it half full or half empty?
Perplexing!!! I need to go light a fuse!

RalphieJ
05-27-2016, 09:03 AM
does a 1.75 ball salute shell weigh more than a regular 1.75 inch color ball shell? im talking about the basic shells you find in the classic black box 6 pcs. this question just randomly can to me when i picked up a black box artillery shell kit and 2 shells felt way heavier than the other 4 shells. could i have stumbled upon 2 salute shells? i hope not because of the whole atf thing and the regulations that go along with salutes and firecrackers. any help i would love. thanks a lot in advance. :cool: i think they make kits that have color shells and salute shells in them but im not sure so that's why im asking. i wont be shooting these till around 4th of July for a family picnic in pa. as of now i do not have access to the box of shells as they are in storage in pa about 2.5 hrs away from me. i wish i'd took a picture of the kit box, mortar tube and shells to show you but all i remember is the 2 shells had white string on top and where not in foil. the are just plain brown paper wrap like regular festival balls. and last i remember that on the mortar tube was cardboard and black wrapper the said in white capital letters LAUNCH - TUBE.

If you're that concerned, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. ;)

Rick_In_Tampa
06-03-2016, 05:17 AM
roflmao... I think I had this teacher once... Pretty scary.