PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions!

Markyydee
05-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Well first I want to start by saying hello to everyone on the forums, this is my first post!! So about a week ago I was told by my family that we would be throwing a 4th of July party( very last minute) and I was in charge of fireworks, which I knew nothing about. So for the past 48 hours I've been reading everything I can on the forum in regards to fireworks and I feel like I know 1000x more then I did 2 days ago. So I have come here for help with planning and any tips and ideas you may have for me. So I'm currently a Georgia resident, and while I don't have my type 54 license yet, I do plan on obtaining it(doesn't help for the 4th obviously) my budget is about 1000-1200. I don't have any firing systems or any materials such as mortar racks/tubes, I'm completely new to the firework game! I'm more concerned with an active show more so then having a long display with long gaps In-between fireworks. My thought was possibly getting a 5 minute display from spirt 76 and then taking the left over money and adding around that? I definitely would like to have lots of artillery shells. Now living in Georgia I'm not sure what my best option is as far as purchasing( should I drive to South Carolina? Drive to Alabama? Order online?) my other question is what are some of artillery canisters you guys feel give you the best bang for your buck? To give you an idea of what I've liked so far from watching videos online, the hellcat 1.75 and Excalibur shells. Well I think I've covered it all, sorry for the long post and I appreciate any insight.

ras1986
05-19-2016, 08:16 PM
Stick with cakes. Learn the timing of each. Make a list of whatever you want to fire first to last and hand fire. I think all of our first shows here were with a torch. Go to the hardware store and buy a propane torch, it will make the show happen. Don't worry about shells since you don't have racks yet. The 5 minute show would be awesome just use the rest of your budget for an opener and beginning of the show. Hope I have helped a little

displayfireworks1
05-19-2016, 09:51 PM
I thinking of doing a video about this. sort of a fireworks display on paper. If you go back into my videos about six years ago when i first met "Joe" he was shooting fireworks displays at the local high school football games. No firing system and no real training, this was the first time I met him. He did a fabulous with all 500 Gram cakes and hand lighting. I thought it was Pyrotecnico display when I watched it , when I went over to meet him I was shocked it was all 500 Gram cakes he purchased at Phantom Fireworks. I may review how he did it. It is great way to shoot if you are new at this.

Markyydee
05-19-2016, 09:58 PM
You did help, I appreciate it.

Markyydee
05-19-2016, 10:00 PM
I thinking of doing a video about this. sort of a fireworks display on paper. If you go back into my videos about six years ago when i first met "Joe" he was shooting fireworks displays at the local high school football games. No firing system and no real training, this was the first time I met him. He did a fabulous with all 500 Gram cakes and hand lighting. I thought it was Pyrotecnico display when I watched it , when I went over to meet him I was shocked it was all 500 Gram cakes he purchased at Phantom Fireworks. I may review how he did it. It is great way to shoot if you are new at this.

I'm definitely going to check some of your older videos out. So question with my budget would you do all 500g cakes or would you mix in some 350s and 200s?

Bazerk
05-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Cakes and fuse is your friend. I have been fusing all of my cakes together so that I only have to light the show one time. Do your homework. As mentioned before, time your cakes and then you can learn the burn times of your fuse. Knowing hose two times allows you to cut the fuse between cakes to the right length so that the next cake starts burning when the previous one is finishing. It won't be perfect but when you practice a little, you will get it. I would highly suggest a firing system before next your though. It's a game changer. As far as purchasing...the money spent on shipping will be about 20% of your budget. If you can find a local outfit that sells at case pricing, that shipping money is about 6-8 500g cakes. Time is not on your side at this point my friend.

Markyydee
05-19-2016, 10:48 PM
Cakes and fuse is your friend. I have been fusing all of my cakes together so that I only have to light the show one time. Do your homework. As mentioned before, time your cakes and then you can learn the burn times of your fuse. Knowing hose two times allows you to cut the fuse between cakes to the right length so that the next cake starts burning when the previous one is finishing. It won't be perfect but when you practice a little, you will get it. I would highly suggest a firing system before next your though. It's a game changer. As far as purchasing...the money spent on shipping will be about 20% of your budget. If you can find a local outfit that sells at case pricing, that shipping money is about 6-8 500g cakes. Time is not on your side at this point my friend.

I appreciate all the info. I have been doing a ton of research trying to decide where I'm going to purchase and what exactly I'm going to purchase. Would stay away from artillery canisters if you were me? Just trying to get the best bang for my buck

Bazerk
05-19-2016, 11:15 PM
I appreciate all the info. I have been doing a ton of research trying to decide where I'm going to purchase and what exactly I'm going to purchase. Would stay away from artillery canisters if you were me? Just trying to get the best bang for my buck

Not necessarily. You may be able to pick up a pre made rack where ever you buy your fireworks. I have a 30 shot fan rack that I paid $60 for and it fits canister shells perfectly. It's nice to be able to load 30 at a time and then I quick fuse them together and use them in the finale. Reloading is an option but gets old after doing it motor a while. Today's cakes can offer you the same type of effects as canisters in a nice little box with 1 fuse. I should have my 54 in my hand wishing the next week and a half and I will still be buying mostly cakes. Hell, the 1.3 cakes are sick. The guy I am going to be buying from has 9 and 12 shot 4in cakes. I will be building racks over the course of the year for next year so I can add shells into my shows, but I will always be cake heavy. It's easier. No racks to store, not mortar tubes to repair and replace and so on. At the end of the day it boils down to personal prerence ya know?

ras1986
05-19-2016, 11:19 PM
Best bang for ur buck..... spirit of 76!!!!! Skip the shells.. I always buy a mix box of winda or bothers 200g cakes. Spirt of 76 has these always and cheap. These cakes are great blank sky filler.

Markyydee
05-21-2016, 05:42 PM
What are some of your favorite 200 and 500g cakes? Also what are your favorite 1.75" ball and canisters? I'm definitely going to have some excals, anything else you could recommend?

ras1986
05-21-2016, 09:12 PM
What are some of your favorite 200 and 500g cakes? Also what are your favorite 1.75" ball and canisters? I'm definitely going to have some excals, anything else you could recommend?

Don't set ur mind on excals. The debate of canister shells is always a hot topic, in my opinion they're pretty much all the same. As far as 500 gram cakes go I don't have a favorite but if it's 500 gram it will always be a 12 shot 2 inch cake (or similar) or a nice fan cake with multiple layers. 200 gram cakes.... eh... I don't like them unless they are overloaded, all salute cakes, you know... the ones that don't exist. Lol actually that's all my favorite fireworks.... overloaded salute shells and cakes. Sorry, hope I helped

PapaBearPyro
05-21-2016, 10:13 PM
For 500 gram
High Falutin
Hit The Road Jack
At Spirit of 76 they got a mixed case of 2 each of these called Highjacked-I would Definitely put that on the list.
Since your budget is around a g would second recommendation on 76's 5 min show-you get all supplies, instructions etc. Add to that the above Highjacked, couple boxes of Black Box artillery and that will leave room for shipping and you are good to go IMO. Have fun. PBP

djsmurf
05-21-2016, 10:34 PM

Like Bazerk said get a pre-built rack, you do still have time to buy some tubes and build racks if you like. You can't go wrong with excals, I really like Kiss of Death as well. However cans are cans for the most part. Only thing I would add is avoid reloading at all cost, it is more of a pain in the ass then you will want to deal with.
When it comes to cakes there are tons to choose from, your best bet it you watch videos to understand their effects. There're long duration "show body" cakes and fast cakes, quick cakes at the start followed by longer lasting / heavy hitting 500g and then a mix of both to finish the show. It can be hard to go wrong with well made 500g stuff.
How far are you shooting from the people watching?
Lastly do some research of securing cakes for the show, last thing you want is your show shooting at your audience.

Npntransistor
05-21-2016, 11:09 PM
Even if you don't get any racks reloading single shots is a blast, just light a cake in between loading shells. 200g cakes and even artillery shells are a good way to stretch the budget. For instance a few whistling artillery shells mixed with some cans mixes it up a bit.