PDA

View Full Version : Shooting 1.3 here in the mitten

Alexh0407
05-04-2016, 03:35 AM
Hi
First wanna say I am new to the forum. I just received my type 54 licenses. From the title I am from Michigan. I've been shooting fireworks since I was 16 and been hooked since. I always put on a show for my church. Now to the real question. Since I received my license I want to test out some product. I have a coworker who has some land in eaton Rapids and would love to test out some 1.3 product there. My concern is that do I NEED a permit or will I be able to shoot on his land with his permission? I will legally light off fireworks on Memorial Day. Just wanna put on a little show for that day. Mixture of 1.4 and 1.3.

Thank you

Also thank you Dave for the DVD and help!

displayfireworks1
05-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Thank you for purchasing my DVD/application package and great news you received the ATF license. I am not sure how the Michigan fireworks rules work. If his property is located in a rural area you may be able to fire a few things off without an issue. If you ask for permission you risk them telling you no. Now that you are licensed if police show up , you are at least a properly licensed person. I also would not blast stuff over a long period of time. Shoot whatever you need to be in less than 15 minutes. This will be a goof way to test the property out in preparation for the next time you shoot there. When you mix some 1.3 into you regular display, keep in mind the clearance, experiment with 1.3 cakes or Thunder Kings.
On a side note I did not know Michigan was called the Mitten State.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cnFeFDO4y5Y/Umcb5eRjHdI/AAAAAAAACnE/VKBsMt5Clj8/s400/The-Mitten-State-400x400.png

Alexh0407
05-04-2016, 12:22 PM
I do know we can shoot fireworks the day before,day of and day after a national holiday. Yet that could just be for 1.4 items. Then again people may not know the difference. Thank you for the quick tips. It will be a quick show too. And you learn something new everyday!

JoSlicknuts
05-04-2016, 12:38 PM
@Alex...Do you live in a county that passed an ordinance regarding fireworks? I'm also from Michigan and have been told by my local law enforcement that the Michigan Law allows fireworks 365 days a year unless a local ordinance is in effect. I reread the law and it does indeed say that. If you are out in the sticks on someone you know's property, there shouldn't be an issue. I'm residential, so I respect my neighbors and don't abuse the law, but Michigan's pyro law is pretty liberal.

ilovecrackle
05-04-2016, 01:00 PM
@Alex...Do you live in a county that passed an ordinance regarding fireworks? I'm also from Michigan and have been told by my local law enforcement that the Michigan Law allows fireworks 365 days a year unless a local ordinance is in effect. I reread the law and it does indeed say that. If you are out in the sticks on someone you know's property, there shouldn't be an issue. I'm residential, so I respect my neighbors and don't abuse the law, but Michigan's pyro law is pretty liberal.

Exactly.
MI law states you can shoot consumer fireworks 365 days a year BUT each local ordinance can regulate as they see fit BUT they cannot touch the day before, on or after the 10 holidays.
Some localities have adopted this such as grand rapids and lansing are the two i can think of off the top of my head. Those cities have a total ban except for the day before, on and after.
I'm sure there are other cities out there so I would check to see if your city has passed such an ordinance.
But again, this is for consumer fireworks only.

I'm fortunate to live in an area that does not have such regulations and live out in the country but I'm still respectful to neighbors in the area by not shooting 24/7/365.
Unfortunately, there are lots of people here in MI that don't care and have the attitude "its my right, you can't do anything about it", and they shoot fireworks everyday for hours on end and late into the night and that is the reason so many people are complaining and trying to get the law repealed.

Alexh0407
05-04-2016, 01:11 PM
I believe I do. And the place I want to shoot the fireworks off at are in the eaton county ( eaton Rapids) I will ask my coworker if he is located by the city or more off to the side. I will technically be lighting them off legally on Memorial Day but just wanna make sure the 1.3 g items will be fine.

djsmurf
05-05-2016, 03:01 AM
Just a question and I don't mean to sound rude. However how did you obtain your ATF licence without knowing your local laws regarding 1.3 product?

chriskrc
05-05-2016, 06:55 AM
Just a question and I don't mean to sound rude. However how did you obtain your ATF licence without knowing your local laws regarding 1.3 product?

That's a good question to ask him but the atf and state laws are two separate identities. Truly someone should familiarize themselves with their local laws but truly don't have to to get the atf license.

displayfireworks1
05-05-2016, 08:45 AM
The ATF Fireworks License is not a competency based license. You do not need to know how and when to shoot fireworks. But that may not stop the ATF from asking you questions related to that. They are going to educate you on issues related to purchase , storage and few other things. Note I said educate you and not quiz you. The responsibilities related to shooting fireworks, permits etc. is yours past the point of obtaining the license. It is similar to purchasing a handgun, you get clearance and permission to purchase it , however it is your responsibility to learn how and when to use it. Most people do behave responsible with both. If you do not , then you lose the privilege.
I think the word license in most peoples minds means you are trained and somewhat competent, that does not apply here. License here mean more like permission to purchase , posses and transport. This misperception about the ATF License is actually beneficial to some degree, because when you go to local governing bodies and apply for permits, one of their first questions is "Are You properly licensed". You then answer , "I sure am" and here is a copy.

jknepp1954
05-05-2016, 10:03 AM
I don't know the Michigan laws - but you asked about 1.3 shooting. I think it would be safe to assume that regardless which state you live in - any 1.3 material would need a permit of some type to be legally shot.
I am sure Al from Fire Art/Ace pyro could answer this better than I.
1.4 there ok - 1.3 - only with permit is my answer!

ilovecrackle
05-05-2016, 11:10 AM
I don't know the Michigan laws - but you asked about 1.3 shooting. I think it would be safe to assume that regardless which state you live in - any 1.3 material would need a permit of some type to be legally shot.
I am sure Al from Fire Art/Ace pyro could answer this better than I.
1.4 there ok - 1.3 - only with permit is my answer!

Yep, that was my thought but wasn't touching this one. lol Glad to see someone else post my thoughts. :D

Alexh0407
05-05-2016, 12:53 PM

Not offended or anything by your post but the ATF just wanted to know how I would store the fireworks and what I would do if they were stolen things like that. They did give me sheets where I can apply for a permit which I will do when I do have my show on the fourth but for this mini show it's really just to test some cakes out and I want to know do I really need to get a permit to cover myself or will I be ok if I fire off a few cakes with out one? I was told by someone I could be ok with just testing a few products with out a permit. Pretty much was telling me " we should tell you to get a permit but you should be fine just testing some product with out one"

CTPYRO
05-05-2016, 04:15 PM
I think we are telling you what you should be doing but it is up to you if you want to take our advice. However from what you have said it seems like your living in a fireworks friendly area

djsmurf
05-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Not offended or anything by your post but the ATF just wanted to know how I would store the fireworks and what I would do if they were stolen things like that. They did give me sheets where I can apply for a permit which I will do when I do have my show on the fourth but for this mini show it's really just to test some cakes out and I want to know do I really need to get a permit to cover myself or will I be ok if I fire off a few cakes with out one? I was told by someone I could be ok with just testing a few products with out a permit. Pretty much was telling me " we should tell you to get a permit but you should be fine just testing some product with out one"

Figured that, your state is far more firework friendly then mine. Likely why we are questioned more for ATF licences. We can always hope Ohio will get on changing the laws.

Pyro@Mach13
05-07-2016, 11:52 PM
If in doubt do not do it! Simple as that. Do not do it if you are not SURE you can do it. 1.3 is a totally different ball game than 1.4.

.... and trust me, those saying to just do it are not going to give you ONE PENNY towards any lawsuit should something go wrong.

The way some push this it would not surprise me if they too could be added to such a suit by the scumbag ACing lawyers we have today.