PDA

View Full Version : New one for me.

djsmurf
04-25-2016, 10:44 PM
Taking the bases off some G Force (Winda) consumer mortar tubes from this year to toss into a rack and two of them were completely missing their clay plugs. :confused:

Both felt rather weird and once I pulled the stock wood bases, bingo zero clay. I usually replace them with wood plugs but have never see a tube flat out missing a plug out of the box.

Anyone else?

ilovecrackle
04-25-2016, 11:41 PM
Iv never seen that before, although 95% of the tubes I get from shell kits I just throw away so I don't really pay much attention to them. But now that you mention it and the 4th is coming up, I'll pay more attention.

chriskrc
04-26-2016, 06:55 AM
I like to build some racks with the tubes that come with the mortars, I never paid attention to that either. I guess I will surely have to now

ilovecrackle
04-26-2016, 11:59 AM
I like to build some racks with the tubes that come with the mortars, I never paid attention to that either. I guess I will surely have to now

I built a giant pyramid out of them last year before I chucked them. :cool:

PapaBearPyro
04-26-2016, 03:38 PM
No-you built a giant pyromid before you chucked them :cool: PBP
Thanks for the heads up DJ-I have never seen it but I'll look more closely now- I guess making a gagillion of the things its bound to happen now and then.

chriskrc
04-26-2016, 03:57 PM

Yeah I'm using them until I build myself other racks and then I will do the same but for now some poor man's racks work.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Nothing wrong with using the fiberglass guns. As long as you have a good plug in the bottom you are good to go.
If you are going to use them, rack them up properly. Don't be tempted to "Milk Crate" them because it is quick & easy. That is a problem waiting to happen!
There is a guy on ebay selling hardwood plugs for the 1.91 tubes. I bought a bunch from him last year. Any tubes that might have "questionable" plugs in them, I knock them out & put a hardwood plug in. They work great. If you can't find his posting, PM me & I will send you the info.
I do only use HDPE tubes for the 1.3g 1.75" Lidu salutes that I use.
Anything else I will shoot out of fiberglass.

chriskrc
04-27-2016, 06:53 AM
At this point I leave the bases on them and screw them down plus build up the rack around the tubes. Most likely I will never stop using them, just replace the ones that are no good as I go.