PDA

View Full Version : ATF Type 4 Indoor Magazine - Question about distance from residence

deepdixie1979
04-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Greetings all!

I'm considering applying for an ATF license with my storage being a Type 4 indoor magazine (50 lb. limit) in a storage building on my property which is detached from my residence. The storage building is only 25 feet from my residence. Will this be a problem? I'm getting a lot of conflicting info. on this. According the ATF Orange book, the minimum distance from a residence for a Type 4 indoor mag. is more like 150 feet.

Here is a quote from an article on the Skylighter blog:

"An indoor magazine must be in a separate structure—not in a residence or dwelling. It appears that there is no minimum distance it must be separated from the residence of the hobbyist. The separate structure may be a garage or shed near a residence, but it may not be attached to it."

Can anyone who has been through this before help me out? Thanks.

DD

displayfireworks1
04-15-2016, 09:13 PM
I believe more significant is how close is the shed to your neighbors house and the road. Speaking of the road how much traffic is there on that road?

djsmurf
04-15-2016, 09:25 PM
Always found it interesting how the ATF does not consider you a "residence". Like Dave said your worry will be the road and your closest neighbor.

Npntransistor
04-15-2016, 10:22 PM
I am curious what the answer is. 555.206 ( location of magazines) paragraph B sites that OUTDOOR magazines must be no closer then indicated in table 555.224 to inhabited buildings. It does not however specifically address indoor magazines.

555.224 is described as a table for the storage of display fireworks. The tabe shows 0-1000 lbs as being 150' away from an INHABITED building for the storage of display fireworks.

I do not know the answer but my interpretation is that any display fireworks no matter the approved method stored would need to be 150' from any inhabited building.

Npntransistor
04-15-2016, 10:45 PM
I will have to ammend, my previous post is in the assumption bulk salutes are excluded from discussion.

Bazerk
04-15-2016, 11:36 PM
The license holders residence in not taken into consideration as far as the table of distances go. They care about you blowing up your neighbors, not yourself. I assume this is because you are aware of the risks of storing such material in your home or near it, whereas your neighbor has no idea.

deepdixie1979
04-16-2016, 05:03 PM
I believe more significant is how close is the shed to your neighbors house and the road. Speaking of the road how much traffic is there on that road?

I live on a dirt road in a rural, agricultural area. Once I leave the paved road I have to travel 1.5 miles on the dirt roads to reach my property. There isn't much traffic here at all. There are probably more farm tractors moving up and down my road than vehicles. The shed where the magazine would be located is approx. 120 feet from the road and my nearest neighbor's home is approx. 300 yards away.

displayfireworks1
04-16-2016, 11:21 PM
At deepdixie1979.

Sounds like a perfect place to store and shoot some fireworks to me. It looks like there are less than 20 ATF fireworks license in the state of Georgia. You need to add one to that number.