View Full Version : Minnesota consumer fireworks

displayfireworks1
04-15-2016, 06:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDJVQjpvInA
http://www.minnesota-map.org/where-is-minnesota.gif

djsmurf
04-15-2016, 11:39 PM
Glad it passed. Holy "ummmm" speech articulation is really not their strength. ;)

PGH_Pyro
04-16-2016, 11:02 PM
be nice if every state would allow un-encumbered fireworks if you took a PGI safety course or, thereabouts...

matandch
04-17-2016, 07:43 AM
be nice if every state would allow un-encumbered fireworks if you took a PGI safety course or, thereabouts...

A Required PGI safety course is over kill and unnecessary for the use of consumer fireworks. The guy had it right. It's about personal responsibility. All that is necessary is PSA's and handouts at the point of sale to educate the consumer on the safe use of fireworks.

PyroManiacs
04-17-2016, 11:10 AM
A Required PGI safety course is over kill and unnecessary for the use of consumer fireworks.

Agreed to the fullest extent.

Pyro@Mach13
04-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Agreed to the fullest extent.

I do not, I think something along those lines would be good..... maybe not a full PGI Certification, but something close.

matandch
04-17-2016, 07:59 PM
I do not, I think something along those lines would be good..... maybe not a full PGI Certification, but something close.

Not necessary for consumer fireworks. Just asking for government red tape.

Here's the safety course for consumer fireworks:

"Shoots flaming balls. Do not hold in hand. Light fuse and GET AWAY!"

Very simple, very easy.

"

Npntransistor
04-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Not necessary for consumer fireworks. Just asking for government red tape.

Here's the safety course for consumer fireworks:

"Shoots flaming balls. Do not hold in hand. Light fuse and GET AWAY!"

Very simple, very easy.

"

You would think so, but apparently people have a problem with the concept of "this end up".

I agree with a training certificate.
The ones too lazy to get it probably shouldn't have pyro anyway.
I see nothing wrong with asking someone to learn about something dangerous before using it.

matandch
04-17-2016, 10:20 PM
I agree with a training certificate.
The ones too lazy to get it probably shouldn't have pyro anyway.
I see nothing wrong with asking someone to learn about something dangerous before using it.

Not practical. Too costly. Most of the lazy prople will find another way to obtain them anyway, changing nothing.

Guns are much more dangerous than consumer fireworks and a safety course isn't necessary for purchase.

Too many pyros are quick to embrace nanny state practices, when personal responsibility is what needs to be practiced.

djsmurf
04-17-2016, 11:01 PM
I think some of the places selling product could help. Why not a $x (optional) short course that went over some of the safety basics, had a brief live fire and those attending get x% off of product at that location that day.

I agree mandatory training certificates for consumer product are not practical. However if an inexpensive course could be offered with incentive to purchase product for the course provider. Both parties win, consumer gets some hands on training, product provider gains sales. Nothing is "required" from the state.

Npntransistor
04-18-2016, 07:19 AM
To costly to train people? Look at a hunting licence. Education card required to obtain a what close to $20 license now? Odnr makes money hand over fist on those things. Everything is online now and you can print your license from home.

I would even take the stance a training program would be a step in the direction of personal accountability. If you get trained and you mess up its your own fault, you were told what to do and failed to adhere to guidelines.

Just my opinion. ;)

matandch
04-18-2016, 08:10 AM
CPSC stats show that gas grills, chainsaws, turkey fryers and lawn mowers are far more dangerous than consumer fireworks. How about a training course for them?

Moreover, the federal government will allow you to purchase and use Class B display fireworks just so long as you don't have a criminal background and swear that you're not insane. Otherwise no courses are required. Again, requiring a safety course for CONSUMER fireworks is silly and overkill.

Npntransistor
04-18-2016, 08:39 AM
While the US government says it's ok to buy 1.3 with a permit and 1.4 with no requirements, I can only speak from my little corner of ohio. That state says no 1.3 without going through all kind of hoops and no 1.4 period ( omitting trick and novelty ) unless you meet 1.3 requirements. I know a large number of incidents are 1.3 that get into the wrong hands. I feel if people were informed about devices, what they do, and how to identify 1.3 and what the differences are that injuries would be reduced. How many people would still have hands and fingers if they knew what quick match was? You can't fix stupid but you can fix ignorance.

Moreover if an ohio politician could sell a law that would be perceived as increasing safety and generate income, I don't see how it could fail.

Different views that's all.

Pyro@Mach13
04-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Not practical. Too costly. Most of the lazy prople will find another way to obtain them anyway, changing nothing.

Guns are much more dangerous than consumer fireworks and a safety course isn't necessary for purchase.

Too many pyros are quick to embrace nanny state practices, when personal responsibility is what needs to be practiced.

Stop it already. I am not for any stinking nanny state anything. Requiring a simple training certificate is not nanny state politics. A total state ban is!

matandch
04-18-2016, 10:25 AM
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I stand by my position and obviously you stand by yours. Neither of us is going to convince the other.

Npntransistor
04-18-2016, 11:00 AM
Only thing I want to clarify, I'm not In any way against 100% legalization no strings attached.

Now, where did I put that fuse.........

chriskrc
04-20-2016, 09:09 AM
The biggest issue with ny being considered a nanny state is because that's what NYC wants. Now as far as full legalization of 1.4 I'm all for it, however I do look at other states and what they have done. Take Maine for example, rocket's aren't allowed in Maine and everything else is. It's a political game that has to be played and it sucks. A training course for 1.4 , nah I don't think so especially when a ton more of injuries occur from other things that you see listed on cpsc website. A permit system maybe, I know some Pennsylvania people don't like it and I understand why, but I think there are other avenues to explore to go further. Personal responsibility and accountability has to prevail though.