View Full Version : Shooting over Public Lake in MI

kinterke
04-14-2016, 03:54 PM
I have been purchasing fireworks and shooting them over my lake for the past couple years. I have a raft and 2, 4'x8' pieces of plywood that I load up. I use a separate controller for each piece of plywood so that I can wire everything and then carry it to the lake at dusk.

My question is:
Is loading a raft and pushing it out 100' into the lake (and anchoring) it legal? It is an all-sports lake. I am shooting all legal fireworks (1.4).

There are a ton of people that shoot over the lake, but I think all shot from their beach.

Bazerk
04-14-2016, 03:57 PM
I have been purchasing fireworks and shooting them over my lake for the past couple years. I have a raft and 2, 4'x8' pieces of plywood that I load up. I use a separate controller for each piece of plywood so that I can wire everything and then carry it to the lake at dusk.

My question is:
Is loading a raft and pushing it out 100' into the lake (and anchoring) it legal? It is an all-sports lake. I am shooting all legal fireworks (1.4).

There are a ton of people that shoot over the lake, but I think all shot from their beach.

I dont know the answer but I would assume that littering may become a possible issue. Plus the possible liability of someone getting hurt while skiing or wakeboarding should you forget, loose or just leave any debris out there.

kinterke
04-14-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm not as worried about the littering/debris aspect (from a legal standpoint) because many people shoot from their docks, and I only push mine out another 15-20'. There is no difference in the debris from mine to someone shooting from their dock.

chriskrc
04-14-2016, 04:18 PM
I shoot over the lake where our camp is and though I only shoot from the beach, I do know other's that shoot from rafts like yours. They only push it out the small distance like you do for safety purposes. That is what I would worry most about, a boat hitting it cause they weren't paying attention or didn't realize it was there with sun glare. As far as legal it's really just a dock or swim platform at that point but I wouldn't push it out to far.

Bazerk
04-14-2016, 04:30 PM
I'm not as worried about the littering/debris aspect (from a legal standpoint) because many people shoot from their docks, and I only push mine out another 15-20'. There is no difference in the debris from mine to someone shooting from their dock.

You didnt ask whether or not the issue was pressed by the local authorities. You asked if it was legal. Littering is illegal no matter what state or where you are. In saying that, if you asking if anyone will give you shit for doing what you want to do, I would assume no, unless of course something goes wrong. Boat, waverunner, sinking dock causing things to fire towards land and people and so on. You know, the unlikely bs. I would imagine though, that if you called the pd or city hall, there is some ordinance or law that is being broken by doing that is all I was getting at.

PapaBearPyro
04-14-2016, 05:54 PM
I would find out directly from the source that counts, your local police and or Natural Resources Police/Game Warden. Call them up or the next time you see one chat them up. How is it going today, yada, yada, yada, love the lake especially on the 4th, love watching the fireworks, light a few of my own, blah, blah, blah, by the way- is it permissible to float out a raft and scorch some off? If there are any problems or restrictions then you will know straight from the horses mouth-no guess work. PBP

Westpapyro
04-14-2016, 08:57 PM
Couldn't answer your question cause each State is different as well as each body of water is different?
Rec. you look up your state boating laws for an unmanned non powered floating vessel? My state you need a simple blinking white light about 4 feet up from base of dock? We use a battery powered white blinking light on a 5' pole.

displayfireworks1
04-14-2016, 09:55 PM
What government authority anywhere in United States is going to give permission to litter up a body of water? I would not ask a question you already know the answer to. Don't call anyone. all you will do is bring attention to your activity. This occasional becomes a problem for professional fireworks companies from time to time. They have a fireworks permit to shoot on river or lake, then the next day some people complain about litter washing up on the shore. I worked fireworks displays in the rivers in Pittsburgh and Louisville Ky etc. I never once heard anyone on the barge say, gee I hope we don't get anything in this river. You live in Michigan, and fireworks are legal to shoot, just go with that.

PapaBearPyro
04-15-2016, 10:42 AM
I Respectfully disagree, If there is a potential for citations, fines, court appearances or anything else I would rather find out before the trouble than after you know. I know the answer you get may rain on your parade but that is a whole lot better than the Authorities ending it anyway after the fact and throwing in a hefty fine to boot. The "boys in the chat room said its O.K " defense probably wont help with a potential ticket. You don't have to give your name when you call, just make a friendly inquiry. Just my opinion. PBP

kinterke
04-15-2016, 10:52 AM
So I realize at face value my initial question was dumb. The main reason I was asking was if I decided to get my ATF, I was wondering if how am firing them cause any issues.

PapaBearPyro
04-15-2016, 10:54 AM
No such thing as a dumb question my brother-Its all good:cool: PBP

Bazerk
04-15-2016, 11:11 AM
So I realize at face value my initial question was dumb. The main reason I was asking was if I decided to get my ATF, I was wondering if how am firing them cause any issues.

Getting the license doesn't necessarily change anything, however, what you can buy with the license drastically changes everything. For one, you will need permits to fire off 1.3 product. Second, you need to get familiar with the distances needed between your float and your crowd. 15-20ft is not even close. If I am not mistaken, the rule is 70ft. per inch of mortar size. So if you are firing a 4in shell, it needs to be done 280ft away from the nearest bystander. Aside from all of that, the kick from 1.3 cakes and shells is far beyond anything your used to so the float idea may, and probably should be, avoided all together. In saying all of that, if you get caught doing something stupid then you will lose that license. You have to remember that this is a federal license which carries an entirely different set of possible problems. Likewise, the product that you will be using can easily severely hurt or kill someone. 1.4 can as well, but there is a huge difference between a 6in shell detonating on the ground or low than if a 1.75in 1.4 shell does.

PGH_Pyro
04-15-2016, 11:12 AM
very envious of Michigan residents being able to shoot fireworks pretty much whenever and not having to worry about permits and cops and so on .

kinterke
04-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Good points Bazerk. I will probably just stick to 1.4.

Bazerk
04-15-2016, 11:45 AM

Im not trying to be a jerk, so I apologize if my answers are coming off that way. I just dont want to see a fellow pyro get hurt or into trouble because of circumstances that aren't thought about ya know? In saying that, I would encourage you to get your license even still. Its nice to have and one day you may find yourself in a position as to where you have the room to safely fire off 1.3 product. I personally am getting mine for the cakes mostly. I will get into shells, but nothing over 4in and my shows will always be more cake heavy than shells. To each is own my friend. Fireworks are a great time, just need to use common sense when dealing with them is all.

Csection
04-15-2016, 11:59 AM
I believe you could still get your ATF, but still only shoot 1.4 at your lake shoot without any problems. I've done some research on this cause one place I shoot at is legal, but would not be able to get a permit to shoot 1.3 at that site do to insurance restrictions.

I belong to a club that gets all the permits for the shoots and pays for insurance etc. You could then shoot 1.3 at club shoots. They also have safety officers on site to approve everything.