PDA

View Full Version : I really don't want to be THAT guy...............

Npntransistor
04-11-2016, 07:33 PM
So whilst browsing product online at a comsume fireworks distributors site, I noticed something odd about about the caption for echo in the ear:

"Echo in the Ear is one of the most powerful reloadable shell kits on the market. You get 6 massive mortars cannister shells with a PVC tube."

Now I know this kit doesn't come with a PVC tube unless I am missing something. My worry is someone not knowing any better and getting the idea that pvc is ok, so I sent them an e-mail suggesting they fix the caption as this might steer someone the wrong way.

The reply:

It actually does come with a PVC firing tube. Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!*

(Name deleted)
Retail Sales/Owner

I feel like I should press the issue but don't want to come off as an ass.

Or am I just being the guy who nitpicks nothing?

ilovecrackle
04-11-2016, 07:43 PM
No, I don't think your being "that guy". When it comes to safety, no such thing as being too nit picky in my opinion.
My guess is the guy who responded may not know the difference between pvc and fiberglass. I have never know any shell kit that has come with pvc tubes. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I have never seen it.
Further more, I can't see any retailer or wholesaler in their right mind selling a shell kit with pvc tubes in the day where everyone sues everyone and anyone for just farting in their direction.
I may be wrong, that's just my thoughts.

djsmurf
04-11-2016, 09:37 PM
I'll second you on never seeing pvc tubes in a shell kit, and agree the person responding might not know the difference which is kind a scary. I have shot Echo in the Ear and they have all been fiberglass tubes.

As ilovecrackle said your not being "that guy" when it comes to safety with what we do. I would see no issue with escalating the issue until the caption is corrected. I would like to assume pvc tubes are all kind of illegal for a distributor to sell.

chriskrc
04-12-2016, 06:56 AM
I think you should absolutely press the issue a little more. I've never seen a pvc tube either and truthfully the retailer should actually know this. It's a safety issue and safety is always important.

Bazerk
04-12-2016, 07:58 AM
I think you should buy the kit, load it upside down and then sue for damages. Lol

Npntransistor
04-12-2016, 08:49 AM
I think you should buy the kit, load it upside down and then sue for damages. Lol
As much as the American way as that is......
I think the kit does actually contain a fiberglass tube.
My thoughts are along the line of them probably not knowing what materials the tubes are made of as pointed out by others.
I don't think the kit is unsafe, I am however bothered that the people who should be at the forefront on fireworks safety aren't properly informed. Again I can see someone just browsing the site, see the letters PVC and go out and build a rack.

chriskrc
04-12-2016, 01:02 PM
As much as the American way as that is......
I think the kit does actually contain a fiberglass tube.
My thoughts are along the line of them probably not knowing what materials the tubes are made of as pointed out by others.
I don't think the kit is unsafe, I am however bothered that the people who should be at the forefront on fireworks safety aren't properly informed. Again I can see someone just browsing the site, see the letters PVC and go out and build a rack.

This is true, those at the forefront of the industry should have a good knowledge of the products being sold and as you said there are those who don't do their homework enough to know that pvc does not work.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-12-2016, 01:02 PM
It is good you picked up on this & called it to their attention. It is bad that the person you contacted had no idea what he was talking about---probably a part timer manning the phones! I would call again & see if you can talk to someone outside of the general sales staff & bring this to their attention. I'm sure the owners of the company would not want this kind of info being spread erroneously.
Look how many people call a canister shell a "mortar" ! Education--we need more of it!!!

MontanaMike
04-12-2016, 01:18 PM
I agree, press the issue. I've been a fireworks fan for years but didn't know about the differences between the mortar tubes until last year when I started buying mortar racks. More education is always good.