PDA

View Full Version : Best Device for filming shows.

zmaster725
04-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Ok guys,

What is the cheapest best camera out there for someone wanting to film good displays?

JoeR
04-08-2016, 07:52 PM
I use a Canon HF100 with a tripod and a macro lens. I am sure there are plenty of different options out there, but the biggest factor to you getting good video will more than likely be how well you use the camera to the best of its abilities. I set up my camera, make sure the focus is on a manual setting, to which I focus in on some sort of existing light (I believe it would be set to infinity, but don't quote me on that). My model has a fireworks setting on it, which I believe has something to do with the lighting settings on it, but again I am not too sure. I try to get far back and not move the camera up and down with the fireworks. Play around with it and get used to it before you truly intend to shoot a show.

PGH_Pyro
04-08-2016, 10:41 PM
a 4K video camera

djsmurf
04-08-2016, 11:07 PM
There are lots of cameras that can pull of filming a decent display. I personally film with a DLSR camera. I think 4k stuff at the moment is overkill as you downscale to 1080p or lower for many content platforms. Something like a Canon T5i, 18-55 kit lens, decent external mic, and tripod would be a good place to start. Would also allow you to capture stills if you wanted.

Bazerk
04-09-2016, 01:33 AM
There are lots of cameras that can pull of filming a decent display. I personally film with a DLSR camera. I think 4k stuff at the moment is overkill as you downscale to 1080p or lower for many content platforms. Something like a Canon T5i, 18-55 kit lens, decent external mic, and tripod would be a good place to start. Would also allow you to capture stills if you wanted.
This is the exact setup I ise. My only suggestion would to be buy the wide angle lense when you save some extra money. The kit lens works great but it doesn't capture much of the sky unless it's pretty far away. The wide angle lense is only $150 but well worth it.

PGH_Pyro
04-10-2016, 02:08 PM
it's not overkill, at all. the resolution/color saturation even at 1080 is superior to 1080 and it's future-proof .
the tvs and cameras are getting cheaper .
in japan, they already have 8K .

I think 4k stuff at the moment is overkill as you downscale to 1080p or lower for many content platforms.

PGH_Pyro
04-10-2016, 02:36 PM
people will spend thousands on cases of shells/cakes/etc and then refuse to invest in their audio-video recording gear ... it makes no sense if you want to promote your services/club or just document your own shows to look at and enjoy, later .
fireworks look REALLY good and dazzling the higher the resolution you go .
and using good microphones like a RODE or better really captures the low-end booms of salutes and etc.

ilovecrackle
04-10-2016, 04:48 PM
it's not overkill, at all. the resolution/color saturation even at 1080 is superior to 1080 and it's future-proof .
the tvs and cameras are getting cheaper .
in japan, they already have 8K .

First time I went to Japan back in 2007, they had just come out with 2k TVs and 12mp camera phones. We are in the stone age technology wise compared to Japan.
I love walking through the technology districts in Tokyo when I go just marveling in how much more they are advanced than us in technology.

djsmurf
04-10-2016, 05:25 PM
people will spend thousands on cases of shells/cakes/etc and then refuse to invest in their audio-video recording gear ... it makes no sense if you want to promote your services/club or just document your own shows to look at and enjoy, later .
fireworks look REALLY good and dazzling the higher the resolution you go .
and using good microphones like a RODE or better really captures the low-end booms of salutes and etc.

I completely agree, but I had thousands invested into my photo and video gear before I became really involved in pyro. The video quality debate is one that will never stop. I was just offering a starting point and something flexible that you can add on to over time. (Better mic, or lens)

Pyro@Mach13
04-10-2016, 05:50 PM
First time I went to Japan back in 2007, they had just come out with 2k TVs and 12mp camera phones. We are in the stone age technology wise compared to Japan.
I love walking through the technology districts in Tokyo when I go just marveling in how much more they are advanced than us in technology.

I do not marvel, we spend much $$ protecting them.... they invest in goodies not defense of their nation.

PGH_Pyro
04-11-2016, 02:50 PM
somebody has to develop good electronic gadgets ... we surely aren't doing it in this country ...

I do not marvel, we spend much $$ protecting them.... they invest in goodies not defense of their nation.