PDA

View Full Version : Shredding damaged Fireworks

displayfireworks1
04-05-2016, 06:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZrPAfQv5kE

Npntransistor
04-05-2016, 07:51 PM
I find it funny that just yesterday at lunch at work we had a shredder video sharing session. I imagine all that fireworks debris would make an interesting campfire ;)

displayfireworks1
04-05-2016, 08:12 PM
I have this desire to run quick match through a paper shredder. There are people that advise against cutting quick match with scissors. I always thought a good test would be to run it through a shredder. I use scissor to cut quick match all the time. Is there an element of risk using the scissors? It would be interesting to see what happens with a shredder.

Npntransistor
04-05-2016, 08:42 PM
The scissors thing was the first thing I thought of while watching this. But it looks as if this shredder has a gap between the slicers and rips more than cuts, not metal to metal contact. Perhaps a consideration in design?

PyroJoeNEPA
04-06-2016, 08:38 PM
I use scissor to cut quick match all the time. Is there an element of risk using the scissors? It would be interesting to see what happens with a shredder.

They have been using scissors in Italy, Spain, Mexico, etc---basically everywhere but the USA to cut quick match for years & years---seems like the USA "nanny state" is the only place that people harp on using anvil cutters for quick match. And most of the people that are on the "don't use scissors" campaign do it themselves, too.
For the record, I have anvil cutters, large scissors and small "manicure scissors" in my tool pouch and use them all. The manicure scissors makes a nice 1/2" cut on the quick match paper piping to expose the black match when you have to prep a bunch of leaders for buckets & flights.
Nothing wrong with being overly cautious--we all know that it only takes one mistake----but some people [IMHO] go a little overboard with it.
On a side note--the quick match that is being sold as "1.4"---the red jacket stuff--has perchlorate based match in it--you will recognize it by the grey color of the match strings opposed to the black match in the "regular" stuff. That particular match is very volatile & I would NOT cut it with a scissors.
The whole issue of it being "1.4" is another can of worms we won't open right now!!!

Pyro@Mach13
04-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Is there a such thing as going overboard with safety Joe?

ilovecrackle
04-09-2016, 11:06 AM
Nothing wrong with being overly cautious--we all know that it only takes one mistake----but some people [IMHO] go a little overboard with it.
On a side note--the quick match that is being sold as "1.4"---the red jacket stuff--has perchlorate based match in it--you will recognize it by the grey color of the match strings opposed to the black match in the "regular" stuff. That particular match is very volatile & I would NOT cut it with a scissors.
The whole issue of it being "1.4" is another can of worms we won't open right now!!!

Yeah, I'm probably one of those that you are referring to as "going a little over board" hahahaha.
I have a pair of brass scissors I cut all my fuse and QM with. But that is just my personal preference and I don't condone anyone using anvil cutters or regular scissors. It just gives me that extra warm fuzzy feeling inside and that's all that matters to me. :) :D

And I know the red jacketed stuff you are talking about. I have used it before. Good stuff but like you said, not opening that can of worms. lol :)