PDA

View Full Version : It looks like an Excalibur mortar

displayfireworks1
03-20-2016, 01:33 PM
It looks like an Excalibur mortar in this video clip. If you look closely it appears he is holding the sleeve on the mortar. I keep telling people that two mistakes usually occur, they load them upside down and hold them in their hand. The design on all of these shells really need looked at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daOU3O7d3uM

PapaBearPyro
03-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Holy Crap, yet another example of someone trying to creatively remove themselves from the gene pool. The only thing missing is this stud saying "Well at least I didn't put it on my head"
Now I guess they will need to put a pictogram on the side of the box with a profile of a head with the circle and line through it. Lets hope this is a life lesson he and his friends heed so
they may grow old and gray.
PBP

ilovecrackle
03-20-2016, 03:32 PM
Holy Crap, yet another example of someone trying to creatively remove themselves from the gene pool. The only thing missing is this stud saying "Well at least I didn't put it on my head"
Now I guess they will need to put a pictogram on the side of the box with a profile of a head with the circle and line through it. Lets hope this is a life lesson he and his friends heed so
they may grow old and gray.
PBP

Yeah. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. He's lucky he didn't get hurt or hurt others around him.

N3OQO
03-20-2016, 04:51 PM
I see this stuff and it just pisses me off. Fireworks are explosives!!! I wonder if it cost him his hand or face, and there had to be hearing damage. When I was a kid there were a couple of guys that went to the local park and would shoot m80's into the air with a slingshot. One time, a guy lit one and held it waiting till the last second and it went off a few inches after release. He had burns and nerve damage, couldn't feel his had for a very long time. I want consumer fireworks legal here in PA but idiots like this sure don't make the case for it.

displayfireworks1
03-20-2016, 06:49 PM
I know it is easy to criticize people that do this sort of thing. A large percentage of consumer fireworks users are occasional users. What seems obvious to us my not be so apparent to them. I keep preaching that the fuse on these artillery shells needs to be visible on the side of the shell. Many occasional fireworks users are loading these artillery shells in upside down and that is not really easy to do. Then to further compound the problem they hold the device in their hand. As is typical with accidents, a series of mistakes occur before the event occurs. I know the American Fireworks Standards Laboratories keeps concentrating on the strength and durability of the mortar, but they never appear to look at the shell design. I wish I could get someone in that organization to at least look at this. Last I checked these reloadable artillery shells are unique to United States, many countries forbid them.
Here is my unlisted video from two months ago I will play again for those that missed it. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Unlisted from Jan 2, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO1TSz-_DMs

Csection
03-20-2016, 09:35 PM
I know it is easy to criticize people that do this sort of thing. A large percentage of consumer fireworks users are occasional users. What seems obvious to us my not be so apparent to them. I keep preaching that the fuse on these artillery shells needs to be visible on the side of the shell. Many occasional fireworks users are loading these artillery shells in upside down and that is not really easy to do. Then to further compound the problem they hold the device in their hand. As is typical with accidents, a series of mistakes occur before the event occurs. I know the American Fireworks Standards Laboratories keeps concentrating on the strength and durability of the mortar, but they never appear to look at the shell design. I wish I could get someone in that organization to at least look at this. Last I checked these reloadable artillery shells are unique to United States, many countries forbid them.
Here is my unlisted video from two months ago I will play again for those that missed it. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Unlisted from Jan 2, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO1TSz-_DMs
Maybe if they were made with a point on top. They might be less likely to load it upside/down. Just a thought!

chriskrc
03-21-2016, 06:54 AM
I see this stuff and it just pisses me off. Fireworks are explosives!!! I wonder if it cost him his hand or face, and there had to be hearing damage. When I was a kid there were a couple of guys that went to the local park and would shoot m80's into the air with a slingshot. One time, a guy lit one and held it waiting till the last second and it went off a few inches after release. He had burns and nerve damage, couldn't feel his had for a very long time. I want consumer fireworks legal here in PA but idiots like this sure don't make the case for it.

I agree with you 100%. We just got safe and sane legalized here in NY and would like to expand this law to allow more. Things like this will always create a bigger battle than it should be.

pitts
03-22-2016, 07:31 AM
I cant even fathom trying to hold these in my hand with the power the have

CincyPyro
03-30-2016, 02:45 PM
Remember the Jason Pierre Paul (NFL DE for NYG) incident last summer where he lost his index finger, part of his thumb and had serious burns....it is my belief this is what he was attempting to do with a mortar tube...except where this person was holding the base with two hands, I believe JPP had one hand wrapped around the base of the tube and thus the accident.

Again, just my wild guess.

N3OQO
03-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Any time one of my friends says, I'd love to do what you do with fireworks, I say "Look up Pyrotalk, and scan utube, educate yourself." Pyro is relatively safe when it's handled right, but you need to know what you are doing.

Bazerk
03-31-2016, 09:24 AM
I dont think they should change the shells at all. Thats like asking sports car manufactures to use smaller engines because some people cant handle the speed and power of their cars. At the end of the day, its the consumer responsibility to educate themselves and use this stuff responsibly, period, end of story. Hey Mr Knife manufacturing company, we need you to stop making shap knives and make only butter knives so people stop cutting themselves. Sounds silly doesnt it? Act a fool and you will eventually get hurt, its really that simple. In my opinion, the shell manufacturer has done plenty to help prevent this. The shells dont fit in there easily the wrong way, they say Top and Bottom on the shells, they tell you not to hold the mortar tube and then tell you to light them and run away. Lets not forget about common sense either. I would bet my bottom dollar that this wasnt the first mortar he has ever fired. When the lift charge ignites but the shell doesnt go leave the tube. Throw the damn thing if your holding it. I have no sympathy for people like this, Im sorry.

RalphieJ
03-31-2016, 09:32 AM
"TOP" Can't get any more clearer than that. Maybe "THIS END DOWN" on the other end. But like Dave said, alcohol plays a large part in these types of accidents.

PGH_Pyro
03-31-2016, 03:21 PM
alcohol is trouble in a lot of situations . not just fireworks .
they tried to ban/prohibit booze and you all know what happened ... it just went underground into the hands of organized crime .
the people want what the people want .
every year there's a private event that i do some pyro for and every year I have drunk morons wanting to assist me and light stuff and I have to tell them to go away (politely) and explain that it's not worth a serious injury/lawsuit ...

PapaBearPyro
04-02-2016, 09:58 AM
alcohol is trouble in a lot of situations . not just fireworks .
they tried to ban/prohibit booze and you all know what happened ... it just went underground into the hands of organized crime .
the people want what the people want .
every year there's a private event that i do some pyro for and every year I have drunk morons wanting to assist me and light stuff and I have to tell them to go away (politely) and explain that it's not worth a serious injury/lawsuit ...
X2
Firearms, Fireworks, Automobiles, Boats you name it. Any time there is a tragedy involving these items and many more a commonality among these events seems to be excess alcohol/drugs
or a desire to misuse the item. Its impossible engineer out deliberate misuse.
PBP