PDA

View Full Version : ATF Points to Ponder #6... (can I make money with my Type 54)

displayfireworks1
03-12-2016, 08:43 PM
ATF Points to Ponder #6... (can I make money with my Type 54)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8W3JJBqVBc

PYRODAD1236
03-13-2016, 04:09 AM
Great Info...as always...

Northern Sky
03-13-2016, 07:40 AM
Good advice Dave. Thank you.

displayfireworks1
03-13-2016, 05:36 PM
Hey everyone look Dane said I did something correct. The needle moved one notch. LOL
https://www.jibehealth.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/mistakeometerphoto-825x510.jpg

PapaBearPyro
03-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Lmao...............PBP

Northern Sky
03-13-2016, 08:22 PM
Hey everyone look Dane said I did something correct. The needle moved one notch. LOL
https://www.jibehealth.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/mistakeometerphoto-825x510.jpg

The needle didn't move, Dave did.

You did a nice job encouraging legally enjoying the hobby.

Well Done.

yoshisbar
03-14-2016, 08:53 PM
Good points, and I will add this THOUGHT (not that you would do it, but just consider this). When I did my interview, the inspector TOLD me (not that I ask), If I were to do a show (let's just get WAY OUT there here), for say, the city of Pittsburgh, and they said, we will give you 100K for product, and you shoot the show. If I spend 100K in product and shoot the show, GUESS WHAT 100% legal And my type 54 covers it!! Now how cool would that be??!!

Westpapyro
03-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Sorry Yoshi but guess what buying 100K with your 54, yes is 100% legal. But it is something totally different to shoot a 100K show for a city or whomever. Everything changes as soon as you are in a commercial business. Transportation, workers compensation, 10million in insurance ect...

ilovecrackle
03-14-2016, 09:35 PM
Sorry Yoshi but guess what buying 100K with your 54, yes is 100% legal. But it is something totally different to shoot a 100K show for a city or whomever. Everything changes as soon as you are in a commercial business. Transportation, workers compensation, 10million in insurance ect...

That was my thoughts but left it to someone with much more experience on the subject to respond to that.

yoshisbar
03-14-2016, 09:58 PM
Yes you are correct. BUT, insurance and such is subject to the city NOT the ATF on the type 54. It is NOT commerce for that scenario. Just a fantasy scenario, but still expanding on dave's original post. Scale it down a bit to be realistic. You do a show for your buddy, he gives you 1k to buy and you get 1k in product you load it, transport it, shoot it, your covered..

Npntransistor
03-15-2016, 06:24 AM
Yes you are correct. BUT, insurance and such is subject to the city NOT the ATF on the type 54. It is NOT commerce for that scenario. Just a fantasy scenario, but still expanding on dave's original post. Scale it down a bit to be realistic. You do a show for your buddy, he gives you 1k to buy and you get 1k in product you load it, transport it, shoot it, your covered..

I'm willing to bet if something happened at a city show you would be viewed as a sub contractor for the show and sovereign immunity wouldn't apply. I would venture to say the city would have to purchase and shoot all the product under there permits / ect. I don't know anything about this and am curious to the answer.

Npntransistor
03-15-2016, 08:08 AM
I also wouldn't think doing a show for a city or business at cost would exempt you from commerce rules. Comparing it to a back yard event doesn't make sense either as that is a private function. As soon as something is a public function regardless if it's fireworks or a polka dance the rules governing it will be different.

chriskrc
03-15-2016, 10:18 AM
I also wouldn't think doing a show for a city or business at cost would exempt you from commerce rules. Comparing it to a back yard event doesn't make sense either as that is a private function. As soon as something is a public function regardless if it's fireworks or a polka dance the rules governing it will be different.

I have to agree with your posts, if something were to really go wrong the city would probably consider you a subcontractor. Even though subcontractors generally get paid they would more likely fault you. Now if you were on the cities insurance for the shoot that might make a difference but who knows. There are a lot of variables here. You would think they would categorize you to be in commerce as well even without getting paid.

CTPYRO
03-15-2016, 05:19 PM

If you are taking money from someone else you are in commerce I hate to say it. If you buy it with your own money and shoot it for your own entertainment that's different. What you are saying though is not legal in the sense....

Pyro@Mach13
04-09-2016, 10:30 AM

hahahahaha