PDA

View Full Version : 1990 United States Court of Appeals

displayfireworks1
03-04-2016, 07:14 PM
While we are discussing shipping fireworks. Not sure how many people remember BJ Alan and a few other Consumer Fireworks distributors selling fireworks and shipping them UPS. I remember at the time BJ Alan now know as Phantom Fireworks mailed a brochure to my home here in the Pittsburgh area. It said something along the lines of, sign here that you will obey the fireworks laws in your state if you buy our fireworks. I placed an order and sure enough UPS delivered a box of fireworks to my house. It was the best think ever. LOL No more long drives to Ohio. It was a genus marketing strategy at the time. I am sure most of the larger established fireworks distributors we know of today got their start this way. Then suddenly somewhere in the 80's United Parcel Service announced it would no longer ship Consumer Fireworks. I am sure it was devastating news to BJ Alan and other distributors. Apparently a court battle occurred including an appeal.
Here is link to some of the conclusions. Of interest is now Supreme Court Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg involvement. I found it an interesting piece of fireworks history.
http://openjurist.org/897/f2d/561/bj-alan-company-inc-v-interstate-commerce-commission

Westpapyro
03-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Freight companies now ship 1.4 products all the time.