PDA

View Full Version : PGI Certification Courses

Shooter
01-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Anybody know of any taking place in any state surrounding Ky sometime in April or May?

Fire Art
01-05-2016, 07:07 PM
ACE Pyro is doing one the day of their demo in April. Fire Art is doing one the day of their demo, most likely the weekend after Mothers Day

Westpapyro
01-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Hope it's the 14th.

davidlynch
01-06-2016, 01:27 PM
we're doing one April 30 (at lynch imports demo), but it's not PGI.

Shooter
01-06-2016, 03:05 PM
we're doing one April 30 (at lynch imports demo), but it's not PGI.

David,will this one be accepted for my documentation toward a PGI certification in their Display Operator Certificate program?

davidlynch
01-06-2016, 04:11 PM
David,will this one be accepted for my documentation toward a PGI certification in their Display Operator Certificate program?

looks like it - from their website: "Recently, there has been some confusion about what types of classes are acceptable as continuing education credits towards renewal of your Display Operator Certification. The class must reiterate or reinforce the skills and knowledge utilized by lead operators. The course must be relevant to being a display operator.

Acceptable classes include: safety training provided by fireworks companies, DOT HazMat training as it specifically relates to the transportation of fireworks, classes pertaining to ATF regulation compliance as these regulations relate to conducting a display and classes based on NFPA 1123 or 1126 codes as well as the PGI DOC itself."

so yeah, i think we've got that covered :)

CTPYRO
01-07-2016, 02:26 PM
I never understood the reasoning to becoming PGI Cert when to become a Lead Shooter on a show you have to pass the state cert of compentency to get the license

Shooter
01-07-2016, 02:44 PM
I never understood the reasoning to becoming PGI Cert when to become a Lead Shooter on a show you have to pass the state cert of compentency to get the license

It has a lot of credence for states that don't have certification like mine. I'm also wanting it to show that I'm progressing along the safe and proper way.

displayfireworks1
01-09-2016, 07:18 PM
There are some states that accept the Pyrotechnic Guild International shooter course as meeting the state requirement to shoot for profit display. I believe this is an example in North Carolina.
http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Fire_Safety_Programs/Documents/Pyrotechnic_Operator_Certification/PyrotechnicFAQs.pdf
I know to be a lead shooter for Kellners Fireworks , he requires you to take the PGI shooter training.
The object for the PGI would be for more states to accept their training. Its like I always say , there are no fireworks schools.

CTPYRO
01-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Correct in that there are no schools to train in the Pyro industry. I worked for Bay for 3 seasons before taking my CT test last May. They require 10 shoots under a lead shooter and have fired a 500 3" finale. There's all the paperwork that went along with it as well then the 50 question multiple choice test which you study from the 28 page booklet the state sends out. Most of it was common sense safety stuff and distances per shell size but some tricky as well

PGH_Pyro
01-12-2016, 10:06 PM
you'd want to do the PGI D.O.C. course even if it doesn't benefit anything else, technically.
do it for your own knowledge and safety-mindedness .