PDA

View Full Version : Explodes On Impact

emjee
12-30-2015, 02:05 AM
Hi folks. I am brand new here and just registered to find the answer to a question I have about a particular kind of firework I saw a few years ago
My cousin had a 4th of July party
and had various types of crackers. But there was one thing he had that really caught my interest which I hope someone
can tell me what they are and if
they are still made. Anyway, he would reach into a paper sack and pull out something about the half the size of a golf ball that was
wrapped in a thick brown piece of wax paper.
Then he
would throw them 10 or 15 feet away and they exploded as soon they hit the ground. They had an report not quite as loud as the old silver "barrel bombs"
(at least that is what we
used to call them in the 70's) or M-80's. Anyone ever seen these or heard of them? Thanks, and I am glad to be here!

displayfireworks1
12-30-2015, 08:47 PM
It sounds like the old Torpedo Bombs. Here is a picture. While it may not be these exact ones because a few different companies made them. They do not still sell these . What year do you remember seeing these? If you know what you are doing you can make these. To be honest it is too much work and potentially dangerous.

http://auctionimages.s3.amazonaws.com/31120/60448/50058994.jpg

thechemist45
12-30-2015, 09:46 PM
Those were made up until around 1957.. Then they yanked them cause they were to dangerous to ship and a whole box was dropped once. And The concusion. Broke store windows for Blocks. The mix is very sensitive and was made even more sensitive by adding 1% manganese dioxide. So lots of them were going off in people's pockets and at times and places where they shouldn't have been going off! Lol

thechemist45
12-30-2015, 09:51 PM
The ones your cousin had trust me They had to be leftover stock either from his family or some store had a box in the back or some type of pgi type meet. But they positively were not makeing any impact devices in the 70s by 1961 the tiniest crackerballs were banned and they were the size of peas.

displayfireworks1
12-30-2015, 10:37 PM
When they made these did they wrap them similar to a Cherry Bomb? What is the typical formula on these?