PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Fireworks Display

PGHBoom
12-11-2015, 12:43 PM
There are hundreds of fireworks setup and display videos out there, especially on You Tube. Many are well organized by people who have a respect for fireworks. After going through a web page that explained the different state laws and regulations when it comes to displaying fireworks I find it hard to believe that everyone went to the trouble of applying for an application and has the proper insurance that many/most states require. What am I missing here? I know my neck of the woods requires me to jump through flaming hoops, get a Fire Marshal approval, and show proof of one million dollars of liability insurance before even being allowed to think of putting on the type of shows I see on the internet. That is not to say that I have never lit of some fireworks during those times (holidays), but it would never be considered a big time production. As I read some of the posts I can tell that many of you light 1.3 Display Fireworks which requires a special license to purchase and store. So how do you do it?

CTPYRO
12-11-2015, 02:33 PM
There is a difference of being in commerce ( you have a pyro company where you need insurance, hazmat,ect ) and not in commerce... meaning you pay for your own product and shoot it on site that requires a permit ( I know PA is different then most states and the permit depends on the township you live in ). You need an ATF type 54 permit to legally purchase 1.3 and must be able to show you have either contingency storage through the distributor or your own ATF approved magazine. It's not hard to get the 54 at all as PA has the most permit holders in the U.S but then to discharge it legally is another hoop

Scott

PGHBoom
12-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Exactly. I have purchased Dave's DVD set and although it might seem a little intimidating talking to an ATF agent, the overall process does not seem difficult. The idea of purchasing 1.3 product does not seem all that difficult either. The real problem comes in where and how to fire it. Do you have to show proof of where and when you fires 1.3 product. How do so many people fire off 1.3 product in an open field, along the lake where they vacation or even in their backyard located in a residential neighborhood? I would someday like to fire off some 1.3 mixed in with a 1.4 show for my friends and family but not have to travel to an open shot to do so.

Shooter
12-11-2015, 03:07 PM
As long as you get permitted for the shoot, it should be fine. No AHJ should not allow you permission to shoot off 1.3 in any residential area. Distances and hazards need to be kept in mind for a safe display. A lot those videos you have seen are the reason for some towns and municipalities to outright ban all fireworks.

CTPYRO
12-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Shooting Bin a neighborhood is a no no and anyone posting that stuff on YouTube are breaking the rules or just getting blackmarket product... its out there. Joining a Pyro Club seems like the route you should go with first. There are a few in PA. The ATF might ask where you plan on shooting your product.... I'm not sure to be honest. The ATF is there to approve you as someone that is in good standing.. meaning you are not a criminal,ect. They really have nothing to do with where you shoot it because that's not what the 54 is for... that only allows you to purchase and store it legally. If you have never handled 1.3 my suggestion would be to join a club and also a pyro company.. get experienced first

PGHBoom
12-11-2015, 03:11 PM
I thought as much when I watch those videos. It is nice to have someone confirm my suspicions. Thank you for your help.

PGHBoom
12-12-2015, 08:01 PM
I would like to hear from some of you who live in southwest PA as to what your local townships require for obtaining a permit.

displayfireworks1
12-13-2015, 05:33 PM
It is too much to type so I made a little video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkl8_8EDev8
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-states-pennsylvania/permit-c55c74d75e70d6ca8006d0d5dd56d1a9b88569cc.jpg

PGHBoom
12-22-2015, 03:17 PM
Dave, sorry it has taken so long to reply to your video post. I have been in Canada for a while and had no internet service, or desire to be on the internet. I understand and agree with what you said about getting local licensing and also the risk tolerance. The main thing is to be respectful of your neighbors and their property. Use common sense.

PGHBoom
12-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Dave, I watched the no permit display video and I hear you say that the home owner went to Kellner's in PA and picked up some Consumer product. Don't you need a permit to buy in PA if you are a PA resident?

displayfireworks1
12-22-2015, 08:35 PM
If you live in Pennsylvania and have a ATF 1.3 fireworks license you can purchase Consumer Fireworks at Kellners Fireworks. The same would hold true at Fire Art etc. Once you are an ATF license holder your license is kept on file by the distributor. Then you can purchase 1.3 or 1.4 fireworks, you do not need permits to purchase fireworks. I hope you see how this works, once you have the ATF fireworks license, you are more than just a resident in the state of Pennsylvania. You are a Federal Fireworks License Holder.
You can use what I just said and apply it to any city in Pennsylvania or state in United States. However if you walk into a retail outlet to purchase 1.4 fireworks and expect this to go smooth it will not, chances are someone at the store will not understand it all. You need to give advance notice to the distributor and give then a copy of your ATF license. They will establish an account for you with your information on file . Then it can easily be referenced for your future purchases.
Once you are a license holder , you do not explain anything to the distributor other than what you want and payment. You tell them what you want and they say OK. They do not ask what are you going to do with this? You sign a paper and leave with your fireworks. The responsible for permits , permission etc is entirely yours.

PGHBoom
12-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Dave that is probably the best explanation I have read so far (not just this thread). Thank you.

Casiasr6
01-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Sorry to ask a late question on here. I live in Texas and want to get my type 54 the only problem I'm having is that Texas requires a permit for public or private amusement to shoot 1.3 fireworks and in order to get the permit you have to show proof of a $500,000 liability insurance policy. If using flame effects you need a 1 million dollar policy. I hope I am wrong on this but if I read correctly can anyone throw out some numbers on what insurance like that cost I found a lot on places online that offer single event insurance. They just don't show the cost.

ras1986
01-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Sorry to ask a late question on here. I live in Texas and want to get my type 54 the only problem I'm having is that Texas requires a permit for public or private amusement to shoot 1.3 fireworks and in order to get the permit you have to show proof of a $500,000 liability insurance policy. If using flame effects you need a 1 million dollar policy. I hope I am wrong on this but if I read correctly can anyone throw out some numbers on what insurance like that cost I found a lot on places online that offer single event insurance. They just don't show the cost. unless you are rich it isn't possible for the back yard pyro to afford, it's ridiculous. Just watch daves video on a no permit show. I'm in the process of getting my 54... think I'm going to pull a permit to shoot 1.3? Nope. I have land to shoot it on and I highly doubt the fire Marshall is going to stop by my house. After it all shot off there's no evidence.

Casiasr6
01-07-2016, 07:59 PM
Sweet sounds good. Have you got your state license? And I'm guess the Atf doesn't care or check that stuff since their on the federal level. Do you have a magazine or use a contingency plan? Sorry for all the questions lol

ras1986
01-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Sweet sounds good. Have you got your state license? And I'm guess the Atf doesn't care or check that stuff since their on the federal level. Do you have a magazine or use a contingency plan? Sorry for all the questions lol
I was asked to withdrawl my first app with the atf since I did I didn't have my state cert. That was a dumb thing to do. This time they will have to deny me.... they won't have a reason to deny me..... yes i have a magazine, the atf inspector verbally approved it last time. Yes they care about the state cert but honestly it doesn't matter.. if the inspector asks how you intend to discharge the product just say you belong to a club that already pulls the appropriate permits and has insurance and you want to bring your own product to those meets... just like any big fireworks company in PA does... open shoots....

Casiasr6
01-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Brother thank you for the information I really appreciate it. Hopefully I'll have a type 54 listened this year

displayfireworks1
01-07-2016, 10:42 PM
When I look at the ATF license holders in Texas I am surprised the number is so low for such a large state. There is a forums member from Texas I helped get an ATF license and he actually advanced rapidly into professional fireworks displays. Perhaps he may chose to post some comments about the some of the fireworks activity in the state of Texas.

At Casiasr6 all your questions and confusion are typical of trying to understand the 1.3 process. If you need my help consider purchasing my ATF/DVD application package.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/shopping.php

Casiasr6
01-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Thanks Dave I'm going to place a order