PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum, but not the videos

Vulpes
12-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Well, figured i'd take the time and actually reg here, been following the displayfireworks1 channel quite closely for a few years now, have learnt quite a bit from it, so I can only thank you for what you do, Dave! Even though I doubt i'll ever be able to have the fantastic job of working with fireworks, the tips and other information usually comes in handy when I do my small "shows". Granted, since 1.3 counts as consumer fireworks around here, not quite sure if that counts as proffesional or not in your eyes :p Certainly hope to have a good time here, at any rate, certainly seems to be a home away from home.

displayfireworks1
12-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Thank you for joining the pyrotalk discussion forums. I see you are from Sweden, it is always nice to have fireworks enthusiast from around the world join. I see you are doing small fireworks displays, that is great. I know some laws may have changed in Sweden, if I remember correctly you can purchase 1000 gram fireworks cakes without a special license.
Tack för att förena pyrotalk diskussionsforum . Jag ser att du är från Sverige , är det alltid trevligt att ha fyrverkerier entusiast från hela världen gå med. Jag ser att du gör små fyrverkerier , som är bra . Jag vet att vissa lagar kan ha ändrats i Sverige , om jag minns rätt kan du köpa 1000 gram fyrverkerier kakor utan särskilt tillstånd .

Vulpes
12-07-2015, 07:21 AM
And there we go, the man himself even takes the time to answer :D

That is quite correct, up to 1KG weight, can't quite recall if it's net explosive weight or the product in whole that counts, but I believe the former, so long as it doesn't go lower than 1.3G is considered consumer fireworks. Some require a police permit due to the sheer amount of noise they create, though, usually involving salutes or cakes that have several 2" shots. 1.1G were also permitted to around 2005 - 2006 in the shape of 4" loaded mortars, unfortunately too many lethal accidents lead to it being banned.

Och du kan Svenska också? :) Trevligt.

Shooter
12-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Vulpes, welcome to the forum! You don't know how much you got it made there in Sweden. A lot of regulations here in the states to shoot the product you can easily purchase there.

Vulpes
12-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Vulpes, welcome to the forum! You don't know how much you got it made there in Sweden. A lot of regulations here in the states to shoot the product you can easily purchase there.

Oh yeah, so i've heard and seen. Found it quite cute with the 1.75" mortars I must say :p Though, given how some people seem to handle fireworks around here, and especially stuff ranging down into the 1.3G 1000Gram classes, I can safely say you lot should be happy for the neccesary license requirements that are imposed. People not anchoring the cakes down properly, simply setting down mortars on the ground etc. At times it can be pretty scary being near people shooting fireworks around New Years, thankfully I usually retreat to a industrial area myself, No people around and nothing that can take damage if something should happen. Even if the 1.3G cakes are pretty nice, it happens that 4", ground salutes and other, more fun stuff magically appears in my shows ;) Such as the time I managed to score 70 loose 2" shells, and 7 HPDE mortars, for about 70 bucks.

Though, can't complain when all you need to fire a 117 x 2" cake is a police permit, however.

PyroJoeNEPA
12-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk Vulpes. It is very interesting having people from around the world sharing their passion for fireworks and their experiences in the posts.

Vulpes
12-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk Vulpes. It is very interesting having people from around the world sharing their passion for fireworks and their experiences in the posts.

Thank you, and I can only agree, even though I have a feeling the "shows" I put on are by far outmatched by the rest, it is still quite interesting to be able to partake in the community :)

displayfireworks1
12-07-2015, 11:00 PM
If I remember correctly prior to this restriction in Sweden, you were able to purchase 4 inch display shells providing they were part part of a mortar ready to fire. In other words you could not purchase bulk shells , but could purchase a ready to shoot assembly. a one shot item so to speak. I always find it interesting that United States is able to sell small re-loadable mortar shells and other countries do not. Although it sounds like you found some on the black market.

Vulpes
12-08-2015, 07:08 AM
If I remember correctly prior to this restriction in Sweden, you were able to purchase 4 inch display shells providing they were part part of a mortar ready to fire. In other words you could not purchase bulk shells , but could purchase a ready to shoot assembly. a one shot item so to speak. I always find it interesting that United States is able to sell small re-loadable mortar shells and other countries do not. Although it sounds like you found some on the black market.

A correct assessment, 1.1G pre-loaded mortars were sold, you can still find 3" pre-loaded that at least one importer sells in some selected stores, not sure if they've got permission to continuously import those, or if it's still running off of old stock, though.

We also have some fun laws concering fireworks, as we are in the European Union with the free trade between countries, basically meaning you can head down into other countries, pick up stuff that is not allowed to be sold on the market here, bring it back up and fire it - so long as it has all the proper CE, Explosive and such markings. As long as it's 1.3 or 1.4 and you're the one actually driving them into the country. If others do it for you, the usual ADR restrictions apply, though.

PyroJoeNEPA
12-08-2015, 11:24 AM
A correct assessment, 1.1G pre-loaded mortars were sold, you can still find 3" pre-loaded that at least one importer sells in some selected stores, not sure if they've got permission to continuously import those, or if it's still running off of old stock, though.

I have seen some videos on YouTube with these--where someone walks out into the middle of the street, sets it down, and lights it with traffic driving by! Insane!!!
Could you enlighten me on the actual mortar tube? I was wondering if it was a very thick wall cardboard with some sort of wooden base on it since it did not seem to need to be secured to fire it? I could not see it very clearly on any of the videos...or is it a fiberglass or HDPE[ High Density Poly Ethelyne] tube? Since it is a "one shot disposable" item I assumed it would be cardboard.But then we all know better than to assume anything related to Pyro! Thanks for your input.

Vulpes
12-08-2015, 01:04 PM
I have seen some videos on YouTube with these--where someone walks out into the middle of the street, sets it down, and lights it with traffic driving by! Insane!!!
Could you enlighten me on the actual mortar tube? I was wondering if it was a very thick wall cardboard with some sort of wooden base on it since it did not seem to need to be secured to fire it? I could not see it very clearly on any of the videos...or is it a fiberglass or HDPE[ High Density Poly Ethelyne] tube? Since it is a "one shot disposable" item I assumed it would be cardboard.But then we all know better than to assume anything related to Pyro! Thanks for your input.

All of the consumer grade pre-loaded mortars I have dealt with so far have all been cardboard, unsure of the bottom plug, though, but I believe it is clay and cardboard. I can dismantle one the next time I manage to get my hands on one and report back, but I know smaller tubes have clay plugs, i.e. airbombs and cake tubes.

Unsure of earlier iterations of 4", though, but I have a faint recollection they were built in a similiar manner.