PDA

View Full Version : Plant Explosions and Bootleg Traffic in Illinois 1974 report

displayfireworks1
12-03-2015, 11:08 PM
One of the pyrotalk members mentioned the name Thomas Scaman in a firecracker post. In researching that post I came across the report "Plant Explosions and Bootleg Traffic in Illinois" The report was published in 1974 detailing fireworks activity in the state of Illinois and surrounding states. Interesting is some of the companies mentioned are still in business today. The document details fireworks activity and accidents of the early 70's. I find the document fascinating. I will probably print it and slowly read it. It outlines M-80's, bootleggers, chemicals, accidents, inspections etc. Great reading for historians.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/15128NCJRS.pdf
http://www.myonlinemaps.com/images/illinois-map.gif

countryboy7978
12-04-2015, 12:47 AM
One of those accidents happened in the town I live in. This happened before I was born however some of my old neighbors lived in the area during that time and recalled the event. There is now a large industrial park at the site of the old factory. I also know Tom and he is a good old timer. A stand up guy who has helped me out in the past. They make him out to be a bad guy and that couldn't be further from the truth. He loves fireworks and is a very interesting gentleman to talk to.

jknepp1954
12-04-2015, 08:26 AM
I have met Tom and his wife at many NFA outings - although not in the past couple years.
We use to get his M80 smokes - for a PA LEGAL item - that sure did bring the cops around in a hurry!!! LMAO!
He also made the Pest Control Report 2000 - but because of ATF and CPSC concerns he was no longer allowed to make them after a few years.

displayfireworks1
12-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Someone one eBay just bought a paper reproduction of this report. I checked it was not an original. The price was $29.00 plus $8.99 shipping. We are lucky to have it in .pdf form. The report was never sold, it is a government document.
Here is the ebay listing now closed, if it works scroll down to see it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/History-of-7-Fireworks-companies-established-in-early-mid-1900s-and-their-owners-/151894592841?ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&nma=true&si=%252FbXaJQyztk4x2qYTuALmJc%252F1jSo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

displayfireworks1
12-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Joyce, here is some information on the Pest Control Report 2000. It looks like it had 1,000 mg of flash powder. Should have been called Pest Control Report 1000. LOL
https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/99069/ConsentDecMissIllegalFireworks.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv3Wvxi6pgU
http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/99069/03072img.jpg

PyroJoeNEPA
12-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Someone one eBay just bought a paper reproduction of this report. I checked it was not an original. The price was $29.00 plus $8.99 shipping. We are lucky to have it in .pdf form. The report was never sold, it is a government document.
Here is the ebay listing now closed, if it works scroll down to see it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/History-of-7-Fireworks-companies-established-in-early-mid-1900s-and-their-owners-/151894592841?ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1123&nma=true&si=%252FbXaJQyztk4x2qYTuALmJc%252F1jSo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"You won't find this historic info anywhere else..."
He needs to join PyroTalk!!!

displayfireworks1
12-05-2015, 08:20 PM
I couldn't figure your post out, now I see you quoted his comment in the eBay ad. When I saw it for sale I sent the guy an email to see if it was the original copy. He gave me his phone number,we talked, I was surprised to hear he is a PGI member named Barry out of New Jersey. He was surprised to learn the document was available for free as a .pdf file. I thought the price was high but in his defense it would cost over $20.00 to have it professionally reproduced at an office supply store. It looked like he had the item for sale 6 days before my post and no one bid on it until the day after I posted this thread. It would be great to find an original one out there.
I just glanced over the document and noted where one person wanted to make M-80 and was not licensed to purchase potassium perchlorate so he used potassium nitrate. I find that strange because even today you can buy all the potassium perchlorate you want.

displayfireworks1
12-06-2015, 10:20 AM
The government references this section of the law in the above legal document pertaining to pyrotechnic devices (firecrackers) that contain more than 50 mg of composition or actually 2 Grains which is equivalent to approximately 130 mg. This section of the law addresses the M-80 kits that were around for while and they eventually put a stop to them. This is why you sometimes see old M-80 containers that say something along the lines of "Pest Control Device". The customer usually signed a document stating he had a pest control issue. This was a way to keep selling the larger firecracker. Over the last 5 years a new law must have come along because these firecracker devices require some form of an ATF license to purchase.
(3) Fireworks devices intended to produce audible effects (including but not limited to cherry bombs, M-80 salutes, silver salutes, and other large firecrackers, aerial bombs, and other fireworks designed to produce audible effects, and including kits and components intended to produce such fireworks) if the audible effect is produced by a charge of more than 2 grains of pyrotechnic composition; except that this provision shall not apply to such fireworks devices if all of the following conditions are met:
(i) Such fireworks devices are distributed to farmers, ranchers, or growers through a wildlife management program administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior (or by equivalent State or local government agencies); and
(ii) Such distribution is in response to a written application describing the wildlife management problem that requires use of such devices, is of a quantity no greater than required to control the problem described, and is where other means of control are unavailable or inadequate. (See also§ 1500.14(b)(7); § 1500.17(a) (8) and (9); § 1500.83(a)(27); § 1500.85(a)(2); and part 1507).

countryboy7978
12-06-2015, 07:43 PM
The makers of American firecrackers were allowed to sell off their inventory after the CPA took affect for several years under the wild life control exemption is what I've read. Certain manufacturers continued making and selling them for much longer than the in-process exemption allowed. Also the chemical suppliers back then would not sell to individuals who did not possess an explosives manufacturing license. This is still true for many today. The Feds went after the chemical vendors and even the tube vendor when East Benton happened. What I do know is that the M70 crackers have a much slower FP than what's in the Chinese ones. They sound very different. Deep thump vs snappy pop.

displayfireworks1
01-12-2018, 08:13 PM
I'm bringing this post in hopes of PyroJoe or another experienced fireworks builder from back in the day can answer this question.
You are going to need to reference the pdf. document I have in Post#1 of this thread. From the state of Illinois investigation in 1974. The scroll about 1/4 of the way into the document to page 34 and 35 as noted on the bottom of the original document.
Reference the Bang Lake Park Explosion July 4th , 1972.
I find this entire document most fascinating and have slowly been reading it.
The question: You will see where they reference water entering the mortar causing a catalytic reaction of some sort. What type of fireworks product would do that in 1972?