PDA

View Full Version : Patton man stored fireworks near children, police say

displayfireworks1
11-26-2015, 09:49 AM
According to my records the person involved in this had a ATF Type 54 only. While it is possible to run a small fireworks display company with only a Type 54 , storage always becomes an issue around the July 4th holiday. I know of more than one scenario that ends very similar to this one.

A Patton Borough man faces endangerment charges after police said he illegally stored fireworks in a garage where children play.
Borough police charged Jason Eugene Dellavalle, 37, of the 200 block of Mellon Avenue, with four counts of endangering the welfare of children and one count each of reckless endangerment and causing or risking a catastrophe.
The charges stem from a tip police received in July.
Police said Dellavalle was licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to keep fireworks in an approved storage area in the 100 block of Beech Avenue.
Police allege Dellavalle instead kept fireworks in a garage where children are known to play.
Dellavalle was illegally storing 1.3G explosives, police alleged.
“G” is a classification for display fireworks/pyrotechnics.
Dellavalle surrendered his ATF license and all explosives, police said.
He was arraigned Monday by on-call District Judge Michael Zungali of Hastings and freed on $25,0000 unsecure
Full Story
http://www.tribdem.com/news/patton-man-stored-fireworks-near-children-police-say/article_78aa8c2a-932e-11e5-b60d-9f479573e30f.html
It looks like he has been doing business since 2010
http://listings.findthecompany.com/l/1163827/Della-Valle-Jason-in-Patton-PA
http://pix.epodunk.com/locatorMaps/pa/PA_14631.gif

displayfireworks1
11-30-2015, 01:23 PM
I obtained what is known as the "Affidavit of Probable Cause". I did extensive redacting of the complaint removing references to children and the ATF Inspectors involved. I keep telling people the two period leading into the July 4th holiday is when all of this sort of thing usually occurs. I post it here for educational opportunity for those of us that have an ATF license/permit. I also have it attached as a pdf file to restrict it from full public view. You will be able to view the document only if you are a pyrotalk member and logged onto your account.
Please note the theme of how all of this transpired.

PGH_Pyro
12-01-2015, 01:02 PM
ex-wife .

CTPYRO
12-01-2015, 02:17 PM
I wonder if the IRS will come knocking... not a lot of money but if he is in business he should have a Hazmat

Fatboy
12-01-2015, 11:45 PM
I think that police chief should be arrested for his horrendous misuse of the English language

displayfireworks1
12-11-2015, 11:20 PM
At CYPYRO my guess is the IRS could care less about this situation. I can almost guarantee you this person made very little money from his 1.3 fireworks business. I never recommend anyone get into the 1.3 display fireworks business with only a Type 54 license. I know of more than one person that ended up like this and they usually get in trouble near the July 4th holiday. The issue usually occurs trying to prepare for more than one display or multiple consecutive day displays. Trying to pull it off without your own magazine/truck/insurance etc. is near impossible. You can do it for a while, however when the growth occurs and you do not take the next preparatory steps, that is when the trouble comes. The big boys see these small operators as a nuance competing for the less than 10k displays in a local area. They usually underbid and get the contracts temporarily and then they go out of business in a few years or less. I have been accused of breeding this type of activity, I tell people to use your fireworks license to enjoy 1.3 fireworks for recreation, if you want to shoot professional fireworks displays for money work for an established company.

Rocketshooter
01-08-2016, 01:23 PM
If the part in the complaint about selling 1.3 out of his garage is correct, then he could be making lots of cash that way. I know of more than one small operator that sells 1.3 illegally at big profits. Apparently there was no evidence to that effect.