PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Mortar Electric Match Knot

displayfireworks1
10-25-2015, 06:44 PM
I am posting this video for some of the new fireworks enthusiast. I do not believe this electric match knot will be as stable as the one using a hole drilled into the side of a mortar. If someone has an opinion on this please comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsVA6PWeyv0
Here is the hole video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucIFFsyVREc

Tropmoore75
10-25-2015, 07:19 PM
any HDPE "DRXX" pipe will be harder to secure to and more prone to slippage, the fiberglass tubes usually have a huge lip or mouth that is larger than the actual O.D. thickness throughout 95% of the gun. I' would be willing to bet that on a fiberglass rack of any size, and securing it propperly you could prob pick up the entire rack by grabbing all the wires and bunching them up into your hand, thats how much more secure that knot will be on fiberglass tube. We are shooting a 4" show next sunday, I will try it out on 4" HDPE guns. thanks for the video dave

displayfireworks1
10-25-2015, 10:39 PM
My choice for the best results would be the hole in the side of the pipe as in my second video posted above. Your right about fiberglass pipe. If you look at video number one starting at the 1:02 mark you can see the lip on the fiberglass mortar. Another downside with this over the mortar knot is you are going to need long electric match to allow for that large loop or have your firing system close.
What do have going a private shoot next week?

Tropmoore75
10-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Halloween shoot, for the last month we have been using 1.4g pro, custom built fiberglass rack, and 1.4 cans due to storage issues atm and we got a huge deal on all the stuff, We are ending it with a bang on sunday, going to get a bunch of 4" shells to end the zombie encounter. We will be using the cobra, 1m E-match and 5 freshly built 4" guns.

Tropmoore75
10-26-2015, 03:19 AM
just hit me now.....1m ematch isn't gonna cut it.........your right dave

displayfireworks1
10-26-2015, 08:15 PM
If you just built those mortars, I would drill a hole in them near the top. Or, you can always just add a screw in the wood to tie the electric match on to. Here is the downside of using these knots and special techniques to stabilize the electric match wire. When you set your show up, you usually have new volunteer help, it is difficult to teach these techniques to new inexperience helpers on the day of the show. I had helpers that just can not learn to do these knots. If you have a screw sticking out of the wood, you can tell them just twist the wire around that screw. Thus, if you have a hole in the mortar plus a screw , you have them both covered.

Tropmoore75
10-27-2015, 02:37 AM
I almost drilled each one after i secured the plugs but I figured I would wait until I saw how they performed. Building 30 6" guns as soon as I have time, With the 6" guns i put a 45 degree chamfer on the lip and I plan to drill them for the ematch. I am going to probably go back and drill the 4's, I want to see how they perform this weekend, before i put any more time into them. heres the 4's.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=798&stc=1

smilli
11-06-2015, 05:45 AM
This is taking a lot of wire, the method i prefer is to tie-wrap the wires to the rack when the rack is fully loaded and tested, may costs some tie-warps but it's time efficiënt.