PDA

View Full Version : Interest in what is inside various shells

chrish
10-13-2015, 10:56 AM
i almost always disect a new shell when i buy them. i measure lift charges, flash, and effect. i also make notes about construction differences that may affect performance.

is there any interest in me posting this information. my database is small at this point, but building. i should have about 20 shells and a couple small cakes documented in a few days.

and maybe more importantly is it ok to post this information at all. pyrouniverse forbides it, so that may be the case here.

i am a chemical engineer and everything i am interested comes apart to find out what makes it do waht is does (hot rods, guns, tube amplifiers, guitars, etc)

Anyway, if this is of interest and legal for this site i can start posting findings. Others can certainly add if they have that information.

chris

displayfireworks1
10-13-2015, 09:35 PM
When you say you are Chemical Engineer that mean you have advanced college degree in that field? Or what does it mean? The times I took apart Consumer Fireworks I found them to be rather simple and very similar devices. What is significance of the data? Lets start with these questions and go from there.

Tropmoore75
10-13-2015, 09:38 PM
I am highly interested in the data, it would be nice to see measurements and the data because things like this always steer me towards a buy, i as a consumer want to pay for PYRO!

chrish
10-13-2015, 11:09 PM
When you say you are Chemical Engineer that mean you have advanced college degree in that field? Or what does it mean? The times I took apart Consumer Fireworks I found them to be rather simple and very similar devices. What is significance of the data? Lets start with these questions and go from there.

to the chemical engineer question: yes I have a master of chemical engineering degree, but I list that more as back ground to how I am "wound" and that I am not just dumping powder on a scale (and this is not a knock on the "the crazies" fellow, I like his youtube channel, I just want more information). like I was saying, much to my wife's dismay most things I own come apart to see what makes them perform, and if it can be made better (also the very definition of my job). like I stated above as other hobbies I build hot rods with 850+ hp power plants and do the work myself to get it there. I have learned how to build amplifiers and design vacuum tube circuits. in short, my hobbies tend to go form A to Z and not just stay in the usury realm.

move this into fireworks and I want to know what is in shells and what makes one have one characteristic and a different one have another, even though they are similar shells. for instance, exterminators have a very fine burst charge. when it was burned off to get rid of it it performed like flash. kingslayers had a granular burst charge and burned off more like the black powder lift charges did. however, both put out an equally loud report. the KS had heavier clay plugs in them which would tend to make them build more pressure. the KS also had their clay plug card board cap glued in well. I would expect this to help build pressure and report. the Exterm were well constructed, but not as tight as the KS. they seem to achieve their results through powder and granule size. the star size was larger in the exterms as well (of course I picked similar effects).

as to the usefulness of this data. when both are lit they perform very equal, they just arrive there a little different. however by the case exterms cost $1.35 ($135/96) and KS are $1.50 ($108/72). So unless I happen to find the overall visual of the KS better (different effects, etc) I will likely buy the exterminators instead as they are a better value for an apparent equal.

I posed the question to see if there is any interest in this type data. I will be building a database regardless for my own purposes and am willing to share if there is interest.
and yes the space constrictions are going to make 1.4 very similar, but the nuances are what interest me.

displayfireworks1
10-14-2015, 09:52 AM
In reviewing the advertising rules of pyrotalk, I believe this would be permitted. This appears to be scientific inquiry rather than marketing promotion of a particular brand of fireworks. Of course you know of the dangers involved if you have experience in this field. I will say you can post your findings on the forums ( pictures, videos, narrative etc. It will be interesting to see how you present the data. Not sure of your level of experience with fireworks , most people find consistency varies with these brands from one year to the next.
You proceed how you see fit. I want to make one suggestion. Consider a single-blind method where you know what the product is but we do not. That is until the very end then reveal all the participants. If you find that too burdensome or complex then go with what you know. It is your choice.
http://image.slidesharecdn.com/ps12-140817134624-phpapp01/95/physical-science-chapter-12-scientific-inquiry-10-638.jpg?cb=1408283332

chriskrc
10-15-2015, 06:59 AM
That would be pretty cool to see. Please do post your findings.