PDA

View Full Version : Winter storage of fireworks

PGHBoom
09-08-2015, 05:04 PM
How cold is is to cold to store consumer fireworks in an uninsulated shed in a job box?

rppyro
09-08-2015, 07:51 PM
I left 20 cases or more of 500 gram cakes in our shed all winter long and we did not have any problems. I live about an hour east of Pittsburgh and it was brutally cold last year. I'm guessing you are from Pittsburgh area.

matandch
09-08-2015, 10:04 PM
around 40 below.

pbjacker
09-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Don't see why cold would impact a finished product, unless exposed to moisture before or during exposure to extreme cold.

PGHBoom
09-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. Just want to know if I have any leftovers after New Years. I doubt it but you never know.

Wholesale Fireworks
09-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Moisture is your only enemy. As long as they stay dry the temperature will not affect them.

displayfireworks1
09-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Cold weather, a story comes to mind. I remember a fireworks company donated all these defective salute shells to the Crackerjacks for us to play with and dispose of. The way it was explained to me was the Chinese manufacturer used some sort of hot glue to seal the timed fuse. When exposed to the cold the now hardened glue separated from the cardboard shell. When the shells would lift, the fire made its way into the salute composition ahead of the timed fuse. This "Unnamed Fireworks Company" was experiencing all these finales blowing apart and could not figure out why. When they started to take the salutes apart , they saw how the glue separated from the shell due to cold exposure. They had to dispose of them and sent them to the Crackerjacks, we used for special effects suspended in the air on electric match.

NWPA
09-10-2015, 09:58 AM
The tractor trailers dealers use sit out all winter. If you ever were in one in the summer they are quite hot, so the opposite would be true in the winter.

Fire Art
09-10-2015, 02:54 PM
The tractor trailers dealers use sit out all winter. If you ever were in one in the summer they are quite hot, so the opposite would be true in the winter.

I can attest to that! You don't want to be in my magazines in the summer or the dead of winter (provided you could make your way through several feet of snow to get to them). My mags on the lower hill we can't usually get to until April.

JoeR
09-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Cold weather, a story comes to mind. I remember a fireworks company donated all these defective salute shells to the Crackerjacks for us to play with and dispose of. The way it was explained to me was the Chinese manufacturer used some sort of hot glue to seal the timed fuse. When exposed to the cold the now hardened glue separated from the cardboard shell. When the shells would lift, the fire made its way into the salute composition ahead of the timed fuse. This "Unnamed Fireworks Company" was experiencing all these finales blowing apart and could not figure out why. When they started to take the salutes apart , they saw how the glue separated from the shell due to cold exposure. They had to dispose of them and sent them to the Crackerjacks, we used for special effects suspended in the air on electric match.

Is that just theory or were tests done to prove that it was, indeed the temperatures that caused the glue to fail? May have just been crap glue that did not bond with the surface.

matandch
09-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Is that just theory or were tests done to prove that it was, indeed the temperatures that caused the glue to fail? May have just been crap glue that did not bond with the surface.

The anecdote that Dave cites proves nothing about what effect the cold has on stored fireworks in general. It may prove that inferior glue can possibly fail in the cold, but that is only conjecture without positive proof.

displayfireworks1
09-11-2015, 09:52 PM
You are correct it is an anecdotal report.
That is the word of the day, why because pyrotechnics is full of anecdotal reports. LOL
Anecdotal
based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation:
anecdotal evidence.

matandch
09-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Anecdotal
based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation:
anecdotal evidence.

or as I've already heard it put: Proof by picture.