PDA

View Full Version : First Class B show! Questions?

KentuckyPyro
09-07-2015, 10:34 PM
Hey guys I finally got to help with set up and shoot a Class B show. It was one hell of an experience. I helped with unloading, shooting, and loading/trash pick up. I never realized how much real labor could be involved but it was certainly worth it. Anyway, I ended up shooting all of the 3" shells. Some salutes but most were color shells. At any rate, everything went well but I just wish I had known what PPE I should have had with me. Initially I was contacted and asked if I wanted to help shoot the show and I said yes, what should I bring? I was told to bring nothing, they had "everything".. Well, "everything" ended up being, the explosives, the torches, the racks. No water for anyone to drink, no safety glasses, ear plugs or anything else you all might consider regular PPE.. So i was just wondering what PPE you all wear. I know the obvious eye protection and ear plugs but do you all use any sort of fire resistant clothing or anything else?

btw still in the process of getting ATF 54.. just havent had time to make it out to Nite Lites for contingency information..

displayfireworks1
09-08-2015, 12:16 AM
You don't have to make it out to Nite Lites he can probably email you he document you need. The way you just described your first professional fireworks display experience does not surprise me, it is actually typical. On my first display the shooter had a cooler full of drinks and never offered me one, I thought they were all for him, finally the other guy said, you should get something to drink out of the cooler. His flare burned out half way into the display, I had to get his car keys and run to the trunk and find more flares part way into the display. I could go on believe me. My critics will tell you the only way to learn how to do these professional fireworks is on the job training. Well you just got a taste of what is out there. I think more than half the people out shooting professional fireworks behave exactly how you described.
On the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I tell people to bring a hammer and scissor and they do not bring anything when they show up. May be good video idea for me in the future.

KentuckyPyro
09-09-2015, 12:36 AM
Yeah at least next time I know to go ahead and bring all safety equipment for myself and pack some drinks for at least a couple people.. other than that, my first shoot was a blast.. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next one, I hear it wont be until next year though. So trying to find another group of guys to help out sometime soon.

KentuckyPyro
09-09-2015, 01:10 AM
Did I forget to mention the most crazy part of the story!? YES.. I shot these 3" shells from tubes made from the core of empty shrink wrap rolls... I was like WTF is this!? Some of them still had a litle shrink wrap on them.. I think 10-16 of the 96 3" shells I shot were fiberglass, the rest were the shrink wrap cores.. I couldnt believe that was their equipment.

CTPYRO
09-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Always wondered why anyone would use those. I'm sure its cheap

mattfr12
09-09-2015, 03:54 PM
I've seen the cardboard used. I think some people actually apply something to it to make it hold up better over time.

rppyro
09-09-2015, 06:27 PM
A buddy of mine had a job shrink wrapping pallets of stuff for shipping. He gave me about 70 of the cardboard tubes about 8 years ago. I put plugs in them and I still have almost everyone of them. I did not add anything to them to make them stronger. They work fine and when I took the fireworks course at kellners in 2012, they said the cardboard tubes were fine to use and even safer than hdpe and fiberglass in some instances.

It works great, they are safe, it was free, and they are still very strong. Why not use them?

KentuckyPyro
09-09-2015, 10:20 PM
It just seems like everyone in the industry is saying stay away from pvc, and cardboard, go with Fiberglass and HDPE.. We didnt have any problems with the shrink wrap tubes. They are definitely solid. But after I hear soo many people say, "Stick with HDPE and Fiberglass" it looked very sketchy.

Fire Art
09-10-2015, 02:43 PM
You definitely want to shy away from reloading cardboard tubes as there is more chance for it to still be smoldering on the inside while the shells are dropped. Other than that I know plenty of people that use cardboard tubes.

JoeR
09-10-2015, 08:32 PM
It just seems like everyone in the industry is saying stay away from pvc, and cardboard, go with Fiberglass and HDPE.. We didnt have any problems with the shrink wrap tubes. They are definitely solid. But after I hear soo many people say, "Stick with HDPE and Fiberglass" it looked very sketchy.

"In the industry" is subjective. If you talk to a hobbyist, the response will be different than somebody shooting for a commercial company. Equipment is treated and handled differently. Cardboard is fine to use, as long as you know when to quit using it. If I were a small company just starting up and looking to minimize my overhead for the ultimate goal of profit and had access to cardboard tubes, it would be game on. If I were a large company, knowing my racks and equipment are subject to sitting in fields with the potential for rain on every show, and sucking up all the dew show after show, I would opt for equipment with a better lifespan.