PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting shell hight

NYJoeD
08-21-2015, 05:53 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to adjust the hight at wich a shell will burst by using a slightly shorter gun? I know it has to bust at the end of the time fuse but is there a way to have it bust slightly after apogee but Till burst at a safe hight and with out having a custom built shell?

Jred201
08-21-2015, 06:24 PM
I've seen a YouTube video of a guy doing an experiment with this. Shorter tubes lower break, longer is higher.

jknepp1954
08-21-2015, 08:29 PM
For safety reasons - probably should not shorten height of shell - higher is ok - but less height? think about safety....

PyroManiacs
08-22-2015, 09:18 PM
think about safety....

Unless your Italian of course.... those bottom shots breaking at about 50 to 100 feet off the ground, lol.

Hell.... even some of them breaking on the ground!

NYJoeD
08-23-2015, 06:15 PM
By no means am I going to do this. I am juat curios really as to how in shows 2 of the same shells break at slightly differs heights to create an effect.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Short answer to that one is NO--in consumer shells, they are very unpredictable due to lack of quality control in lift powder, fusing, etc. In commercial shells--the same applies--using 3" shells as a reference--you can have 4 or 5 different manufacturer shells breaking at quite different heights, and also, a case of identical shells from the same manufacturer can break all over the sky. No precision to it--unless you have very deep pockets like Disney & can have your shells built to spec. And, to echo what Joyce said above--SAFETY!!!
Pyro in the sky follows the same rules for horseshoes & hand grenades--"close is ok"!