PDA

View Full Version : Question from the Internet

displayfireworks1
07-31-2015, 08:15 AM
Here is a question I received from an article in a magazine called Antique Trader where I discussed fireworks. Does someone know the Answer please post it.

Saw the Antique Trader article which has prompted me to write. I am now 64. My Dad was a NJ State Mine Inspector and had, I believe three fireworks plants to inspect in the state, which I think, were all more toward the southern part.

The weeks leading up to the 4th of July was a much anticipated time of year as each of these plants would load my Dad up with just about anything & everything. Cases of matts of firecrackers each of which as I remember had 144 packs & there were about 25 to ta case, cases of boxes of cherry bombs & ash cans each of 100. Packs of helicopters & display cones from small to very large, many, many, salesman’s sample packs etc . He even would bring back commercial pin wheels & such. We had so much he used to have me doe the stuff out to the kids in the neighborhood & to other relatives, mostly cousins. Sometimes we had better displays than the town put on. This was all during the early 1960’s.

Recently, I was discussing this with one of the cousins I used to give things too & for the life of me I couldn’t remember the names of the plants in NJ. My Dad brought me with him a few times when he had to inspect these plants & I remember one where I met the owner, John. The reason I remember him particularly is because he had a large birthmark on his face & he collected Civil War artillery. The artillery was loaned out to various towns to tow along in their Memorial Day & 4th parades, among other special celebrations. I remember John being a very nice fellow.

Anyway I was wondering if you or your organization had any information on the plants that were in operation in NJ at this time.. just nostalgia on my part but never the less part of my life I will never forget.

Thanks

Rxxx Fxxxxxx

Shooter
07-31-2015, 08:47 PM
March 1942 — An explosion in the Unexcelled Manufacturing Co., a fireworks plant in Graniteville, kills five employees. Copied from silive.com. History: A Timeline of Staten Island. Don't know if this plant still existed in the 60's.

Zenith
08-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Hi Dave,
I actually live in NJ and shoot for various companies and organizations from time to time.
The answer to the above letter referred to 3 companies that were based in NJ in the good ol days back when you can make a living being a Pyrotechnician.
The man referred to as John isactually a well known Pyrotechnician from NJ named John Serpico He was the owner of Serpico international fireworks that was based out of North Bergen and later moved to Vineland NJ. He was a true blue Pyrotechnician that was a master of handmade set pieces and triple break shells especially European cylindrical shells with bottom shots. John Serpico recently passed away at age 88. He was still involved in pyrotechnics up until his death. There were two other companies at that time located in NJ It was The Girone family and I believe the Castiglione Family back in the day.

displayfireworks1
08-08-2015, 12:00 AM
The man that sent me this question may be following the postings because I gave him the link to follow up. Zenith, thanks for the update. I a found an excerpt from a George Plimptom book mentioning John Serpico. I also see in the writing that George Plimptom was a demolition person in the military.
https://books.google.com/books?id=90aqhPtCxXsC&pg=PA288&lpg=PA288&dq=Serpico+international+fireworks&source=bl&ots=gmdF4O1kOV&sig=J912OJ3s3xPyPGckYv-_x5lE3vA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDkQ6AEwA2oVChMIyMW9osOYxwIVBvM-Ch1hgQxY#v=onepage&q=Serpico%20international%20fireworks&f=false

displayfireworks1
08-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Here is a follow up email I received from the person that emailed me the original question. Thanks for the response.
Been away & just went to the site to see what responses were posted. Since I can’t respond please thank Zenith for the information on John…Glad I actually remembered the right name. Always enjoyed going to see him, loved the ordinance & the fireworks. I’m going to add that little snippet of information to a file I keep on the family.

Thanks Again
xxxx xxxx

displayfireworks1
08-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Here is the John Serpico obituary with some great pictures.
http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=John-Serpico&lc=4913&pid=173154709&mid=6196247&Affiliate=jerseyjournal&PersonID=173154709&FHID=11208
JOHN SERPICO JERSEY CITY John Serpico, 88, formerly of Jersey City, passed away on Thursday 11/13/14. He was born in Jersey City and lived throughout Hudson County before moving Vineland for 8 years ago. John was a Pyro Technician and owner of the International Fireworks Co. of North Bergen for over 65 years before retiring. He was a proud Army Veteran serving during the Korean War. John was the devoted father of; Lucille Weber and husband Ron, Jack Serpico and wife Denise, Gerard Serpico and wife Carol, Maryanne Capizi and husband Thomas and Lulu Diem and husband Kevin. He was the dear cousin of Gloria Cenimo as well as the loving grandfather of 10 grand and 4 great grandchildren. The funeral will be on Monday 11/17/14 at 9:30am from the Leber Funeral Home then to Holy Rosary Church in Jersey City where at 10:30 am a mass will be offered.
http://ak-cache.legacy.net/legacy/Images/Cobrands/DignityMemorial/Photos/38c05a29-aec7-4e7e-9b79-e8c91382c7be.jpg