PDA

View Full Version : What is required for shooting 1.3g in KY? other than ATF 54

KentuckyPyro
07-27-2015, 01:56 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you from Kentucky on here know what else I need aside from ATF 54 to shoot Class B in Ky. Is Kentucky a state that would require me to get a permit to shoot a case of shells (1.3g) in an empty corn field (that I have permission to shoot on)? Or is the permit only if I am being paid to do a show or doing "x" amount of feet from the road/businesses/occupied buildings?? Any information on this would be great I want to have everything legal when I am ready to shoot. I know every state differs with requirements and such.

Shooter
07-27-2015, 06:21 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you from Kentucky on here know what else I need aside from ATF 54 to shoot Class B in Ky. Is Kentucky a state that would require me to get a permit to shoot a case of shells (1.3g) in an empty corn field (that I have permission to shoot on)? Or is the permit only if I am being paid to do a show or doing "x" amount of feet from the road/businesses/occupied buildings?? Any information on this would be great I want to have everything legal when I am ready to shoot. I know every state differs with requirements and such.
http://www.lrc.ky.gov
Start here Daniel. Some of the regulations. Hit search in Kentucky Revised Statutes and enter display fireworks.

KentuckyPyro
07-27-2015, 08:26 PM
http://www.lrc.ky.gov
Start here Daniel. Some of the regulations. Hit search in Kentucky Revised Statutes and enter display fireworks.

Thanks. It looks like I would probably need to get a permit to shoot first and then start shopping for 1.3g after I got the permit. Obviously still need to get the ATF 54 before trying anything though..

KentuckyPyro
07-29-2015, 02:51 AM
Hate to bump this thread but does anyone know if I am going to shoot 1.3 on my own property, outside of city limits (if that makes any difference) do I still need to get a permit to shoot?

Bighorn
07-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Technically if you are shooting a private show you only need your 54 to buy the product! If you are shooting a PUBLIC FIREWORKS DISPLAY as stated on top of permit then you need to get a permit ! The permit is no big deal just fill it out with size of shells, shell count, and distances like permit says and no big deal! Don't sweat the little stuff. Be safe and just keep them stored in your magizine or your contingency and you should have no problem!

KentuckyPyro
07-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Technically if you are shooting a private show you only need your 54 to buy the product! If you are shooting a PUBLIC FIREWORKS DISPLAY as stated on top of permit then you need to get a permit ! The permit is no big deal just fill it out with size of shells, shell count, and distances like permit says and no big deal! Don't sweat the little stuff. Be safe and just keep them stored in your magizine or your contingency and you should have no problem!

Thanks for the information. I just don't want to get into any problems right out of the gate all because I didn't do my research. I have heard that the local atf guy in my area is a tough guy to please so I just want to be on top of things.

chriskrc
07-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Wow that truly sounds pretty easy to deal with. I'm not from Kentucky but if that's all that's involved good for you guys.

Shooter
07-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Public displays are another matter. To qualify for the main shooter, you have to accrue up to participating in 5 previous professional displays before you can go at on your own. Each public display has to be permitted and a copy of the permit sent to the state fire marshall, as I understand it.

Shooter
07-30-2015, 11:36 AM
A bond or insurance of no less than 1 million dollars is required for public displays, as well.

chriskrc
07-30-2015, 01:29 PM
So in N.Y. they say 5 shows in three year's ( which I find a little ridiculous, you can shoot more than 5 shows in one year ) , does Kentucky say the same or just 5 permitted shows all together, wether it's one year or three years?

KentuckyPyro
07-30-2015, 03:28 PM
SO what I really am asking now is. Is my backyard considered a "PUBLIC DISPLAY"? I can't understand how it would be "Public". My closest neighbor is 1/8 mile or more from me.

ras1986
07-30-2015, 07:09 PM
In texas a public display is for public viewing like a city or whatever for profit or not doesn't matter. In texas public ALSO means for private viewing. So in texas it doesn't matter, if it is shot off anywhere it's a public display. It's In the fine print

Shooter
07-30-2015, 08:53 PM
So in N.Y. they say 5 shows in three year's ( which I find a little ridiculous, you can shoot more than 5 shows in one year ) , does Kentucky say the same or just 5 permitted shows all together, wether it's one year or three years?(c)

"Competent display operator" shall be defined as the person with overall
responsibility for the operation and safety of a fireworks display. The
competent display operator shall have a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) License and have participated as an assistant
in firing at least five (5) public displays. A "competent display operator" is
also an employee possessor. A permit under paragraph (a) of this subsection
shall be issued only to a competent display operator holding an ATF license.
It doesn't specify a time frame.

Shooter
07-30-2015, 09:05 PM
SO what I really am asking now is. Is my backyard considered a "PUBLIC DISPLAY"? I can't understand how it would be "Public". My closest neighbor is 1/8 mile or more from me.

Daniel, i would call the State Fire Marshal's office and get clarification from them. You might want to check with your local fire dept, mayor, or county judge executive, also. Local laws or ordinances overwrite the state laws on display fireworks.

chriskrc
07-31-2015, 08:30 AM
(c)

"Competent display operator" shall be defined as the person with overall
responsibility for the operation and safety of a fireworks display. The
competent display operator shall have a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) License and have participated as an assistant
in firing at least five (5) public displays. A "competent display operator" is
also an employee possessor. A permit under paragraph (a) of this subsection
shall be issued only to a competent display operator holding an ATF license.
It doesn't specify a time frame.

That's great to know. I like the laws you guys have in other states a lot more. It's some research I'm doing on the laws of other states so I can use that information here in N.Y. Thanks for the clarification.

CTPYRO
07-31-2015, 10:59 AM
NY is a very tough state to legally shoot in to be honest. Your better off joining a club ( NLPC, NHPA, ect ).... or even work with a display company. I've done both. I have my 54 but will never be shooting in CT pesonally.. too much BS to go through

chriskrc
07-31-2015, 01:28 PM
NY is a very tough state to legally shoot in to be honest. Your better off joining a club ( NLPC, NHPA, ect ).... or even work with a display company. I've done both. I have my 54 but will never be shooting in CT pesonally.. too much BS to go through

That's what I've been looking into, but with the way I've seen and heard some things from people with our new law, I'm researching other states laws so when people start asking for more here, in the terms of expanding this law, we could bring up some points to maybe change a few other aspects. It would be some work for sure but it's worth looking into.

CTPYRO
07-31-2015, 07:20 PM
The NY law is no different then the laws here in CT regarding fireworks... sparklers and CT has had this law for a while now. To legally discharge 1.3 in NY you will need the 54... a state shooters license.. insurance and I'm not even sure what else. It's really pointless to be honest. I mean PA laws... very nice depending on the Township but there are those that require almost nothing to do it on your own land.... different state w different laws.. hence why there is over 300 ATF 54 holders there.. lol

chriskrc
08-01-2015, 09:35 AM
The NY law is no different then the laws here in CT regarding fireworks... sparklers and CT has had this law for a while now. To legally discharge 1.3 in NY you will need the 54... a state shooters license.. insurance and I'm not even sure what else. It's really pointless to be honest. I mean PA laws... very nice depending on the Township but there are those that require almost nothing to do it on your own land.... different state w different laws.. hence why there is over 300 ATF 54 holders there.. lol

Yeah I've seen that. It's just something I'm looking into. But baby steps first,, I did notice some other states expanding more and it takes a while. Truly I really need to just move but on the topic of this thread I hope it works out for you in Kentucky kentuckypyro. Light up the sky's safely and have a great time.

KentuckyPyro
08-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Yeah I've seen that. It's just something I'm looking into. But baby steps first,, I did notice some other states expanding more and it takes a while. Truly I really need to just move but on the topic of this thread I hope it works out for you in Kentucky kentuckypyro. Light up the sky's safely and have a great time.

I hope so too, but if I have to pay 5k for insurance just to do a few private backyard shows I wont bother with getting the ATF 54. I thought, like most do, that the ATF 54 was going to be all I needed aside from a possible permit. Now I'm finding out its not just license, storage and permit. It might also consist of 1M$ insurance for shooting a backyard show, which from what I've heard, cost minimum of $5,000. I know a lot of you say, "just join a club and shoot with them", or "find a show and ask if you can help shoot it". But really the only reason I want to shoot Class B is for my own shows, I just want to add a little more juice to it and some different effects that I have seen in Class B. I think my next step is calling my local ATF officer and Fire Marshal and see what they have to say. Thanks again for all the advice everyone.

displayfireworks1
08-01-2015, 03:57 PM
It always easy to find a way not to do something if you look hard enough.
http://www.daimanuel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/If-you-really-want-to-do-something-youll-find-a-way.-If-you-dont-youll-find-an-excuse.Jim-Rohn-quotes.jpg

KentuckyPyro
08-01-2015, 04:15 PM
$5,000 cash isnt disposable amount of cash for me to throw at an insurance company for a backyard display that cost 1500-2500$ tops. Makes for a pretty legitimate excuse, thats 5k I could throw into a show instead of paying for a useless insurance policy. Realize I am new to this seeking advice. Its easy for you as experienced person to make it all sound simple. For me still learning this all is starting to feel like I'm trying to learn a new language sometimes.

displayfireworks1
08-01-2015, 05:48 PM
I list 108 ATF 1.3 Fireworks license listed in the State of Kentucky. Not sure how many are hobbyist but I would say 70 to 80% are. I serious doubt you will find one hobbyist that carries fireworks specific insurance. I believe in the state of Kentucky Consumer Fireworks are permitted for sale and use. Why not just add smaller 1.3 items in a display you are already shooting?
If you wait for everyone you call to tell you it is ok to shoot fireworks you may never shoot fireworks. Everyone has a different level of risk tolerance.

KentuckyPyro
08-01-2015, 06:13 PM
I list 108 ATF 1.3 Fireworks license listed in the State of Kentucky. Not sure how many are hobbyist but I would say 70 to 80% are. I serious doubt you will find one hobbyist that carries fireworks specific insurance. I believe in the state of Kentucky Consumer Fireworks are permitted for sale and use. Why not just add smaller 1.3 items in a display you are already shooting?
If you wait for everyone you call to tell you it is ok to shoot fireworks you may never shoot fireworks. Everyone has a different level of risk tolerance.

That is my plan Dave I just want to add 1.3 into my 1
4 show. But I keep getting different stories regarding insurance. My main concern is that I dnt want to not do this properly and then end up with a felony or something crazy for not getting insurance.

KentuckyPyro
08-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Hey guys I finally bit the bullet so to speak. I called Eddy at Nite Lites and he gave me all of the information just like you all said he would. I am actually going to go ahead and get the ATF 54 and he is giving me a letter of contingency and all that good stuff. He is going to arrange some shooter training for me at a Minor League baseball game here in Ky. for their fireworks show to get me some hands on experience with handling and firing etc.. The way it was explained to me is, (in this area that we live in) as long as I am on my property, not charging admission, and not inviting the public or on public property shooting class B, nobody is going to bother me especially if I am doing it in a safe manor and handling things they way I should. He said he does offer some insurance that is much less than the $5,000 I was previously quoted on here, but, that is only after I get some experience and he knows that I know what I am doing. Needless to say I am excited. I will for sure be looking for as much training as possible before I start utilizing any class B on my own. I actually talked with a local about helping with a local show the first weekend in September. thanks again for all the advice and everyone who has pointed me in the right direction for information and safety. Also shout out to Dave for the DVD it really puts the ATF application process into a much easier process than it would be without it.

displayfireworks1
08-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Now you are on the right track. Keep us posted of your progress along the way.

KentuckyPyro
08-05-2015, 10:54 PM
Now you are on the right track. Keep us posted of your progress along the way.

Will do Dave

chriskrc
08-06-2015, 07:25 AM
That's great hope it all works out.

Shooter
08-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Kentuckypyro, that is good news. Eddie will treat you right. He's tried to help me with the Type 54 process. Be sure to reciprocate his kindness by buying product from him. Good luck at the display.