PDA

View Full Version : Matt from PA

mattfr12
07-19-2015, 06:37 PM
Got Daves dvd sent my stuff into the ATF a few weeks ago fingers crossed. My wife does alot of the 4th stuff with me so she actually went and got finger printed and the whole nine yards also. Since we sent out paperwork in at the same time I'm curiouse to see if we can get the interview over at the same time.

Been doing 1.4 shows for 8 years every year trying to get it to the next level. Have three spark fires all ran from one remote. And been using a sequencer on my finale.

Was surprised at how fast the dvd came in the mail and realized I've done work with my company on the same street as Dave lives on. Small world!. After watching his muse video I been involved with muse VFD since I was 14 butch and all those guys I've known for years. I thought we had the biggest show around guess I got some catching up to do.

PyroManiacs
07-19-2015, 07:57 PM
Nice story!

Welcome to PyroTalk!

mattfr12
07-19-2015, 08:01 PM
The one video where they shoot the gas fireball looks like the farm across the street were we do our shows. I've never confirmed this yet but maybe he can. Is that the farm on cecil sturgeon road they all seem to look the same from videos.

displayfireworks1
07-19-2015, 08:19 PM
You are within 10 miles of me. We are going to move you right along. You will get the ATF license, I am going to bring you to the Collier Sportsman Club fireworks August 29. I feel you will have the license by then. I am going to show how to wire up some 1.3 items I am using. You are lucky your wife also wants to be part of this. I am curious where did you get the fingerprints done?
I believe that gas fireball was at Scotts farm, it is south of Pittsburgh.

mattfr12
07-19-2015, 08:28 PM
My father has been in law enforcement with mcdonald pd for close to 20 years so I got then done there.
Can't wait for the 29th really looking forward to it. If you know anyone else that needs prints done I can help with that my dad brothers and cousins. have alot of cops in the family. My dad's been the mayor for around 15 yeare James frazier he recently retired I think he's had enough he's in his late 70's.

mattfr12
07-19-2015, 08:38 PM
If you or some of your buddies need a close place to try some product out or just wanna shoot some stuff off local we have over 100 acres off of cecil sturgeon road. If your coming from the Bridgeville side about 4 miles up on your left.

My friend runs a paintball place on the same property called Urban Assault.

Shooter
07-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Welcome mattfr12 to Pyro Talk. How convenient for you to live so close to Dave and have policemen in the family. I guess your ATF interviewer will be Uncle Pat. ;). Happy for you.

mattfr12
07-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Thanks I even ventured into it for a while in my early 20's but my own buisness grew and I had to leave it behind.

displayfireworks1
07-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Wow it all sounds great, if that property is the same one I am thinking, it is located in South Fayette Township. I tried to get that property once to shoot some stuff and the local political people did not want to give me permit. If it is the property I am thinking it is , it is fantastic , it has access road etc. I am going to find it on Google Earth and post a picture. Is it that road that ends at the old Desmet Lumber? And there is old small airport property on that same road?

displayfireworks1
07-19-2015, 09:59 PM
Here is the property I am talking about, is this it? If I remember that property has pavilions set up and everything.
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-states-pennsylvania/cecil-1-ee865981481802eaa38c652e8f9731c8464f16e3.jpg
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-states-pennsylvania/cecil-2-4e27773f3918018b7d009d4cd4864cb2bce7f5b3.jpg
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-states-pennsylvania/cecil-3-3c814bdb20e717dc8739c7f6a8ef818213f166b4.jpg
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-states-pennsylvania/cecil-4-cc2de5405b4bdcbe116693352ee960f977aab431.jpg
Oh boy, we could have one hell of a fireworks party on that property, and it is probably 6 miles from my house. LOL

mattfr12
07-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Yep that's me we did our last show there on the 4th. We lease around 100 acres of it but it is over 200 total. The owners of the property and some of the pd we're at the last show. We have leased that property since early 2000-2001.

South Fayette can be tough but they usually don't give us much trouble.

I do alot of the work up there have been a silent partner for a long time. We are building a 300 foot long indoor are a in august.

I already mentioned it to my partner and he is perfectly fine with you using it to shoot the closest house is almost a 1/4 mile away.

mattfr12
07-19-2015, 10:19 PM
The truck on the far right against the tree line all the way to the right is my gmc 3500.

I usually set the show up in the pipe field to the left of the pavillions . Most of the pipe is 20ft tall and the field is 100x250. Incase of a mishap there is alot of protection there. Our last even there had 50-100 people I didn't count as it was free but the parking lot was full.

It can acomadate alot of parking and people we hold the nppl there one of the largest tournaments in the country and close to 1000 attend.

mattfr12
07-19-2015, 10:30 PM

Pictures of the setup

displayfireworks1
07-20-2015, 07:58 AM
I am glad you have some pictures of your fireworks setup. Because it is soon going to look completely different once you obtain that ATF license and work with me in August.

N3OQO
07-20-2015, 09:10 AM
Nice! So nice to see another local here! Looks like you have a great place to get your pyro on!

PyroManiacs
07-20-2015, 09:41 AM
Small world for you guys!

mattfr12
07-20-2015, 03:26 PM
got my first call from the ATF today they asked me if I could just put my wife on the responsible person list. so I did that and faxed it back she said it wont be long before someone is out.

mattfr12
07-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Lady was really helpful her name was cindy. Don't know if any of you have encountered her before. But was more than glad to assist me and said she would get it right out to a local atf agent.

displayfireworks1
07-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Matt did the call come from Pittsburgh or West Virginia? Maybe you remember the area code of the fax? I am curious if the West Virginia office did that or the Pittsburgh office. I know you new at this and people make fun of me for reminding people of this. The person coming out to interview you is titled an ATF Inspector, they do not like when people call them call ATF Agents. Its is a common mistake. The ATF Inspector works under Industry Operations. Although I do not doubt they have legal authority to arrest you ass etc. they are more in the administrative and inspection end of things.

mattfr12
07-20-2015, 05:33 PM
It was west virginia. The lady was super helpful she said my paperwork is in Pittsburgh now. And I'll be contacted from them next. She used the term inspector also, saying I would be called to setup an inspection.

I was really impressed tho she must have sent me 10 emails today getting back to me within minutes.

displayfireworks1
07-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Most of the time the local ATF Inspector will call to set up an appointment. However, there are occasional times when they will just show up. Be ready if this happens. An inspector told me this is part of some strategy to catch people up to no good with explosives. My research is telling me the chances of them just showing up are relative to your distance from the regional office. On inspector told me if you live 75 miles away from their office they are going to call you to be sure you are there. If you live closer they may just show up. Matt, you and I both live 40 minutes from the Pittsburgh office. LOL I am predicting the process will go very smooth. The only conflict I see is you and your wife are trying to obtain a license using the same address. My guess is they will convince you to add her as an employee possessor. This will allow her to pick up and transport product you order on your license. I would be interested to hear how they handle it.

mattfr12
07-20-2015, 07:44 PM
They refunded me 100.00 and I had to send a new responsible persons page from the form back to them with her listed. I think they were thinking the same thing as you.

displayfireworks1
07-20-2015, 09:47 PM
I never challenged the two ATF license thing at the same address. If you wife wants involved in fireworks and you have her listed as an employee possessor that is good and it is free. When you receive the license and decide which distributor you want to purchase from. Once they receive a copy of you license , you will sign additional papers to allow your wife to pick up and transport the product to you. Some distributors will also allow you to give her purchasing authority. Once a distributor has your license on file, you can call to order some 1.3 product, pay over the phone with a VISA and send your wife to pick it up. They will have her on file as an employee possessor. I will explain some of how it all work in August.

mattfr12
07-20-2015, 11:17 PM
Thanks I appriciate it.

mattfr12
07-22-2015, 06:18 PM
Got my big boy tape in the mail today. Glad I seen this stuff in your videos masking tape is terrible to work with always seems to rip down the middle after a while and
isn't super sticky.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m202/mattfr12/tree%20stuff/20150722_174015_zpshv05iqcw.jpg

displayfireworks1
07-23-2015, 08:39 AM
A few years back the number one question I received on my YouTube videos was "What is that tape I always see you using ?" . U-Haul must be selling a lot of that tape to fireworks people, they sent me emails and some free tape to use. U-Haul tried to downgrade the quality of that tape once and changed their mind after I posted a video in protest. Last I checked the quality is the same. Once you start using that tape on your fireworks projects you are going to love it.
To others, if you new at this here is the link. I now see they raised the free shipping price to $50.00. It started out at $25.00 then went to $35.00 and now $50.00. Remember you can always buy it at your local U-Haul. Just be sure the local store does not have any of that temporary replacement one they tried to sell years back before they changed their mind.
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Tape/Box-Packaging-Paper-Tape-(55-yard-roll)?mid=143&id=822

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1CIgqSaZzk&feature=youtu.be

PhilK33
07-23-2015, 09:01 AM
I wonder if that is hit or miss with getting two type 54s at the same address? My sister has her 54 and we both use the same address! However, the inspector did say during her interview that he has never seen two type 54s approved to the same address before and it may be denied! It must have been Ok as she received it two weeks later. It can be done but it must be all up to the agents involved.

mattfr12
07-26-2015, 04:17 AM
Gotta try and find some free time during the week to Pick up my HDPE pipe place isn't open on the weekends. I got it tho wanna start making some racks. I got close to 300ft in various sizes.
just for people to compare that was around 650.00$. I got pipe ranging from 3 to 8 inch.

I did the math I have enough or close to enough to make .60 3 inch 60 4 inch 40 6 inch and 10 8 inch.

Been cutting plugs at night in my spare time getting ready.

Tropmoore75
07-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Sounds awesome Matt, are you getting your pipes from the company in Charleroi?

mattfr12
07-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Yes they actually had it all in stock. I may just bite the bullet and have then deliver it I can never seem to get off before 5 during the week.

mattfr12
07-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Glad I found this site that saved me a ton of money on the HDPE. I would been paying 60+$ a tube. I have alot of wood laying around so I cut some slabs off locust which never rots and is hard as a rock. I been using it for the plugs.

If anyone else is in need of a magazine i know where a few more very resonably priced. I can even help move short distances over a long distance the permits start to cost more than the container.

Tropmoore75
07-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Awesome, I've bought all my pipe from them over the years, probably 2000' plus from them building racks for friends and for myself. Let me know if you ever need any help.

mattfr12
07-26-2015, 10:10 PM
Where abouts in Pittsburgh are yu

Tropmoore75
07-26-2015, 10:33 PM
I live near oakmont. About 14 miles north of Pittsburgh. Your in the south correct? I worked for almost 20 years in south point and in Robinson township so I'm use to the travel. Living in Pittsburgh usually follows the you usually can get anywhere in about an hour, lol even if it's 10 mins on google maps from you. Lol

displayfireworks1
07-26-2015, 11:04 PM
At Phil
Ok so now we know we can get two ATF license at the same address. That is good for all of us to know. Phil, I think you now have everyone in the family and extended friends and family holing an ATF Fireworks license. LOL You can have a family reunion when it comes time for the license renewal interviews.

mattfr12
07-26-2015, 11:11 PM
Nice I was just at red Robin out at robinson. Once I get the pipe down here I'm on a mission to get it done this week I could deffinetly use some help. I wanna try and do one more big show this year for friends and famity any one on here is welcome to come also. Probably gonna do it late summer save up some funds so it's a decent show.

displayfireworks1
07-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Go to that Home Depot in Bridgeville all the way to the back left side of the lumber section. they have discounted wood at 75% off that is perfect for making racks if you are handy with wood.

Niceshellsdude
07-26-2015, 11:45 PM
You guys are behind Robinson run cemetery. Is that correct? I mow lawns up that way.

mattfr12
07-26-2015, 11:49 PM
Yes we are behind the cemetery. Thanks for the advice on the wood dave.

PhilK33
07-27-2015, 10:52 PM
@ Dave, I've had 3 family members and two friends get their 54s after me . Another's application is in the mail now! We might as well hold an open shoot/reunion for the interviews and yearly inspections!! Hahah. But yes, two type 54s can be given at the same sddress

mattfr12
08-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Interview was today all went well she said it should arrive in the mail shortly.

Shooter
08-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Good to hear, Matt.

pbjacker
08-15-2015, 06:24 AM
This is an inspiring thread, find myself very jealous of you folks!

mattfr12
08-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Pbjacker have you tried to get your type 54? I looked at this site for a few years usually around the 4th thinking its gonna be to hard or a major pain and it really wasn't that bad. Fingerprinting and the interview you'll have a few hours invested and your done.

The lady that came to do the interview was super nice and seemed to have enthusiasm in helping me get the license. Gave me a direct contact to her for questions even said she would stop out during our magazine building process to make sure we get it right.

CTPYRO
08-15-2015, 07:07 PM
You also live in a state where shooting fireworks is as easy as me walking into a 7-11 and buying a big gulp. There is a reason why PA has more ATF permit holders then any other state in the U.S... over 300 permits..... just saying. I'm only the 6th in CT to have a 54.... the procedure might be the same but storage and discharge are two big topics

mattfr12
08-15-2015, 11:49 PM
Deffinetly is one of PA's few benifits.

mattfr12
08-16-2015, 01:42 AM
Got it in the mail today yay!!!! Thanks again Dave

pbjacker
08-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Pbjacker have you tried to get your type 54? I looked at this site for a few years usually around the 4th thinking its gonna be to hard or a major pain and it really wasn't that bad. Fingerprinting and the interview you'll have a few hours invested and your done.

I have a 12' dry erase board on which I've mapped out the legalities of manufacture/possession/transportation&use of consumer/display&homemade - at each level of AHJ where I live. I'm not going for the ATF license until the state fire marshal can assure me that he and county marshals will not act on the safety commissioners current outdated rules (they directly contradict our recent state code changes). I'm also concerned about an apparent oversight in the code that appears to allow manu/trans/poss/storage of homemade works, but not USE... a real head scratcher. I was out of state all last week, going to reach out to the appropriate offices tomorrow.

pbjacker
08-16-2015, 01:13 PM
What I found inspiring though was having a local community of fellows! That is my goal now that Georgia legalized. There is definite value in the coordination of experience/resources, a better return on everyone's efforts.

displayfireworks1
08-16-2015, 02:55 PM
At mattfr12 congratulations on receiving the Type 54 1.3 permit. If I remember correctly Kellners Fireworks helped you with contingency storage. I would suggest to fax a copy of your license to them. When you make future purchases they will already have you in the system. Kellners Fax is 814-786-7995. Do not sign the original license. Make a copy and sign the copy.
At CYPYRO. Pennsylvania is a ground based fountain state. Granted you are one a few ATF 1.3 license holders in Connecticut, but it has nothing to do with what state you live in. It is a Federal procedure. If a 1.3 fireworks distributor would work with me in any state I could help to license anyone that lives within a reasonable driving distance of the place. Pennsylvania is high in private ATF Type 54 permits because over the years it may have been a trickle down effect over the years from having two of the largest display fireworks companies in United States located in New Castle Pa.
The ATF Type 54 user of display fireworks permit is not competency based, or anything to do with what state you live in. Whatever additional qualifications someone wants to assign to it does not matter. No one needs to be sure you are competent to handle such a thing. If you want to advance into pyrotechnics you are going to need some form of an ATF license. I will tell you to obtain the license and then advance, my critics will tell you to first advance and them obtain the license. Everyone is free to make their own choice.

CTPYRO
08-17-2015, 10:33 AM
I completely agree that the procedure to obtain the permit is the same however there is a reason why there are states that have more permit holders then others. If I wanted to legally shoot 1.3 I would have to go through the same procedures as if I were working for the display company. Meaning I have to be a state certified shooter... obtain the permit to discharge B... insurance.... fire detail.. ect. This is quite different in PA where getting a permit to shoot might be the same as me walking into a 7-11 and buying a big gulp. Granted not all TWP's are the same and I know this. I've shot out in PA a few times and it's nice. I know you encourage people to get the 54 because people want the bigger stuff. I agree with the critics that you should have experiance with 1.3 because many don't and they might think the permit know will give them free reign to but it and light it where they want. Yes I bought the DVD years back and watched it and the information was helpful. I joined the NHPA and then a display company and then 4 years later got my 54. The first question before even meeting was where are you storing it and where do you plan on discharging it. Two big questions they ask. So for me yes I got it but being that I'm one of 6 in the CT tells me they don't hand these things out like snickers bars. On another note I've enjoyed buying with Zach @ IPI and also at Extravaganza ( much closer to CT )