PDA

View Full Version : Legalization of consumer fireworks

NWPA
07-18-2015, 08:48 AM
I want to relate a story about a person[s] who did not have a clue about the safe use of fireworks. While visiting my daughter in Maine over the July fourth holiday we attended a cookout where every one was kind of doing their own thing, fireworks going off all over the place. Consumer fireworks were legalized in 2012. Of course alcohol was involved and not being a drinker I certainly saw things more clearly then most others. A middle age man I was near removed a pack of 50 firecrackers from a box, removed the wrapper and asked "what end do you light?" Now, there-in lies the problem of legalization without some sort of explicit tutorial, a 20 minute video, something. What seems so obvious, so common sense to us, is not the case for many in the general public. By the way, I explained to this man, lay pack on ground, light longer green fuse, move away. At first I said, lay it on the ground, and light the visco fuse and he asked what's a visco . See what I mean, explicit instructions!

chriskrc
07-18-2015, 09:03 AM
That's a tough one, to open a pack of firecrackers and not know which end to light or even take a few minutes to check out the products before buying is something we pyro's are seeing quite often. I was in Maine vacationing a couple years ago and stopped at phantom in Scarborough, as I looked at the products and made my purchase I saw some of the same thing you are speaking about but the staff was helping the people out. Knowledge is power and the key to enjoying fireworks safely.

Dion
07-19-2015, 05:46 PM
I want to relate a story about a person[s] who did not have a clue about the safe use of fireworks. While visiting my daughter in Maine over the July fourth holiday we attended a cookout where every one was kind of doing their own thing, fireworks going off all over the place. Consumer fireworks were legalized in 2012. Of course alcohol was involved and not being a drinker I certainly saw things more clearly then most others. A middle age man I was near removed a pack of 50 firecrackers from a box, removed the wrapper and asked "what end do you light?" Now, there-in lies the problem of legalization without some sort of explicit tutorial, a 20 minute video, something. What seems so obvious, so common sense to us, is not the case for many in the general public. By the way, I explained to this man, lay pack on ground, light longer green fuse, move away. At first I said, lay it on the ground, and light the visco fuse and he asked what's a visco . See what I mean, explicit instructions!

WOW! UNREAL!!!:confused:

PGH_Pyro
07-27-2015, 12:07 AM
i think if cities/towns/boroughs/etc offered safety courses ala PGI-type, things would go much more smoothly .