PDA

View Full Version : Open shoot in NYS?

Pyrofanatic
07-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Hello all. I've seen lots of displays in my area (mid Hudson valley) where I just see so much potential for something like an open shoot with all the room. NYS laws are the problem though. They are so strict it seems like its not worth the hassle. Is that why there is nothing like this in NY? If NYS would get their heads out of thier a** and finally legalize all consumer product it would be nice to do a small fireworks related event with safety demonstrations and show the proper use of the fireworks.

chriskrc
07-13-2015, 11:22 AM
It's all because of nys laws and truly has to do with NYC. They don't like fireworks there and totally screw the whole state. Boom518 is a great friend of mine and we do our shoots together. We would like to start a club in our area ( Albany county ) , but the regulations are so ridiculous it won't be easy. I plan to file for my 54 this fall and would love to have open shoots here. There is plenty of room where I am for them to. Its something we need to stand together with and work on.

jknepp1954
07-13-2015, 07:50 PM
There is an active club in New Hampshire - not sure of contact info - but i am sure i can find out.
I belong to a PA club that actually has a legitimate open shoot in Oct. in NY - not sure what hoops they jump thru - but this shoot has been going non stop for over 20 years i am told.
CLUBS folks are your best friends for now until NY lightens up if they ever lighten up!

petedbwn
07-14-2015, 03:03 AM
hey chriskrc if you do open an organization please keep me in mind I've been looking for somewhere. I'm currently applying for my type 54 but i live in NYC and you know how stick these laws are here>>

Pyrofanatic
07-14-2015, 03:13 AM
I agree. NYS is to uptight. They treat all of the incidents with fireworks that where clearly from misuse like its going to happen to everyone. That's what training classes/courses are for.:mad: I wish they would just do it already. :(

Pyrofanatic
07-14-2015, 03:21 AM
It's all because of nys laws and truly has to do with NYC. They don't like fireworks there and totally screw the whole state. Boom518 is a great friend of mine and we do our shoots together. We would like to start a club in our area ( Albany county ) , but the regulations are so ridiculous it won't be easy. I plan to file for my 54 this fall and would love to have open shoots here. There is plenty of room where I am for them to. Its something we need to stand together with and work on.

There is an active club in New Hampshire - not sure of contact info - but i am sure i can find out.
I belong to a PA club that actually has a legitimate open shoot in Oct. in NY - not sure what hoops they jump thru - but this shoot has been going non stop for over 20 years i am told.
CLUBS folks are your best friends for now until NY lightens up if they ever lighten up!

hey chriskrc if you do open an organization please keep me in mind I've been looking for somewhere. I'm currently applying for my type 54 but i live in NYC and you know how stick these laws are here>>

New York State is way too strict it's a massive hassle even for professionals to shoot shows from what I've heard. But I have this idea i wish New York State would make some kind of permit system for consumer product so people would need it to purchase and shoot consumer product. They would to go to local classes and be trained to purchase and shoot 1.4 product. So it forces people to learn proper techniques and safety. I think of it this way it will be a lot safer to have a bunch of people who have been trained to shoot then a bunch of people who have no clue what they're doing bringing back fireworks illegally. I am completely willing to do anything I need to help get things more pyro freindly in NY whether it be open shoots or trying to change laws I'm in.

chriskrc
07-14-2015, 07:25 AM
New York State is way too strict it's a massive hassle even for professionals to shoot shows from what I've heard. But I have this idea i wish New York State would make some kind of permit system for consumer product so people would need it to purchase and shoot consumer product. They would to go to local classes and be trained to purchase and shoot 1.4 product. So it forces people to learn proper techniques and safety. I think of it this way it will be a lot safer to have a bunch of people who have been trained to shoot then a bunch of people who have no clue what they're doing bringing back fireworks illegally. I am completely willing to do anything I need to help get things more pyro freindly in NY whether it be open shoots or trying to change laws I'm in.

I've spoken with quite a few law maker's and that's one thing I've suggested. I am in agreement with you that a permit system maybe what we need to do to satisfy the powers that be.

chriskrc
07-14-2015, 07:28 AM

I will definitely keep you in mind. I know there's some clubs here already but with my work schedule it's very tough to get to participate with them. Now that something has been legalized here we may have some better chances at some new possibilities in the fireworks world.

jknepp1954
07-14-2015, 09:09 AM
I will definitely keep you in mind. I know there's some clubs here already but with my work schedule it's very tough to get to participate with them. Now that something has been legalized here we may have some better chances at some new possibilities in the fireworks world.
With that being said - let the S&S deal ride for a few years. Baby steps....Baby steps. One step at a time.

Pyrofanatic
07-14-2015, 10:48 AM
With that being said - let the S&S deal ride for a few years. Baby steps....Baby steps. One step at a time.

Hopefully there will be demonstrations and events where they can show how to properly use the new legal stuff. That way they are not looking to ban the safe and sane stuff from misuse....... again. Of course no matter what there will be people not listening and doing bad things. But that doesn't mean they need to ban it. But people do stupid things with alot of stuff. And I don't see that stuff being banned. Think of things like ATVs and other off road vehicles. People get hurt and die alot more often doing that then fireworks. And again its mainly from misuse. But they haven't banned recreational vehicles. (Yet)

chriskrc
07-14-2015, 11:26 AM

That's right baby steps. And even with all the stories of missuse didn't Georgia just go full 1.4. So there is hope we can change the law in a few years. Now NYC was always a big concern and we took care of that by excluding them with this law. Sorry to all my NYC pyro's but that is what lawmakers wanted.

NYJoeD
07-21-2015, 07:03 PM
guys keep me in mind also. i will join the cause.