PDA

View Full Version : Displayfireworks1 (Dave) Need Your Help!

Blackdevil77
07-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Dave,

A good friend of mine, who is also a long time fan of yours and one of your youtube subscribers and one of your DVD package customers, is in a bit of a jam and wants to reach out to you, You've helped many get their Type 54 ATF license and taught many people a huge amount about the world of pyrotechnics and all of us pyros are extremely thankful for that. One of our pyro brothers needs your help now. I have his e-mail and phone number, just send me a PM when you see this and I'll send you his contact info.

My friends name is Joe Tullo, and he lives in Oceanside, Long Island, NY. If any of you live around here, I'm sure you saw him in the news.

Here's one link to a news article, if you google his name, you'll find a whole lot more.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/07/05/oceanside-fireworks-arrest/

He's a very nice guy and would do anything for anybody. He told all of his neighbors in the upcoming days to the fourth that he was going to have a fourth of July party and will be having fireworks, and that they are all welcome to attend. None of the neighbors seemed to have a problem with that when he asked them all about the fireworks. Then the day off, one neighbor called the police. This could have all been avoided if that neighbor would have just said beforehand that they weren't comfortable with the fireworks. The police confiscated all of his racks, tubes, fireworks(obviously) as well as his cobra firing system and his modules.

Here's a message from him that he sent to me that he wants to send you you.

"Hey Dave,

I have been watching your videos for about 5 years now and I just want to say from the bottom of my heart, thank you so much for teaching me what I know today. I have such a passion for fireworks. I am a licensed electrician and have my own company, and just enjoy fireworks on the side as a hobby, but I would love to make a career out of it. This past week end, I had an incident. I set up a whole firework display, 30 minutes long set up to go with music, designed on finale fireworks to a Disney theme, all set to fire from the cobra system and the police shut me down due to one neighbor that had told me they were fine with it after speaking with the whole block. I had a clean up crew to clean up any debris that may have dirtied up the block or anybody's property, but that's Long Island life, there will always be back stabbing. I was arrested and all over the news, just google my name and you will find me if you haven't already. I also worked for Grucci for the past 3 years and learned a lot from them, but learned most of what I know from you. I'm reaching out to you in hope that something better can come from my experience and maybe turn into a connection of love, dedication and vision in fireworks with you so please, email me when you have any free time to offer me your opinion and any advice you may have for me with my current situation.
Thank you, and please keep up all the amazing, informative videos and thank you for your support to the firework industry/community.

Thanks,

-Joe Tullo @JDT Electrical Inc."

That's my friends message to you. I will admit, it probably wasn't the best idea, but he tried to make things as safe as possible and was considerate of all of his neighbors but telling them well in advance about everything and getting their permission before the day of. But Now, it is what it is, a fellow pyro who shares our love and passion for fireworks and pyrotechnics, as well as a loving husband and father of 2 young children is in some trouble, and he can use some help from you, as well as anybody else that can offer any advice or anything at all.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I hope everything works out in his favor and I hope he takes something away from all of this.

ras1986
07-08-2015, 06:03 PM
That dude was really about to shoot that many 3 inch shells off on a street that close to houses?!?! Where the hell did he learn his clearances from. Guy is glad he didn't kill anyone. Glad he was arrested and had everything confiscated there is no safe way to use that big of 1.3 product that close to those houses. Now..... if he was transporting that stuff to a shoot site then ok no problem but it did not seems that way.

RAA516
07-08-2015, 06:09 PM
We all love fireworks on here and I also live on Long Island but facts are facts and the fact is that you cannot set up a professional display on your block and think that it is ok I'm sure he is a great guy but you are putting a lot of people in danger if something goes wrong even if he had a ATF license you still can't shoot the stuff off on your street

N3OQO
07-08-2015, 06:13 PM
It sounds like he was going to set off 1.3 in his front yard in Long Island without a permit?

Blackdevil77
07-08-2015, 06:22 PM
I know guys, I can't change what happened and I wasn't in the state to be able to prevent anything.. He made one hell of a mistake, and I'm pretty sure he won't be doing anything like that again. He never did anything like that before on a street. Now what's done is done, what should he do at this point?

ras1986
07-08-2015, 06:37 PM
He should suck it up and get a lawyer and get what's coming. They should have 9nly taken the fireworks. Maybe he can get his racks and firing systems back if he's got a good lawyer. He should be glad the cops stopped him. 1.3 is no joke especially because he wasn't being safe. I don't think many people in the pyro community would be willing to help being as how stupid the mistake was. Maybe I'm wrong.... maybe he will learn.

Blackdevil77
07-08-2015, 06:44 PM
He should suck it up and get a lawyer and get what's coming. They should have 9nly taken the fireworks. Maybe he can get his racks and firing systems back if he's got a good lawyer. He should be glad the cops stopped him. 1.3 is no joke especially because he wasn't being safe. I don't think many people in the pyro community would be willing to help being as how stupid the mistake was. Maybe I'm wrong.... maybe he will learn.

He's not gonna have much choice. They took everything, I think his lawyer is trying to get the racks and firing system back. To be honest, I'm glad he was stopped, and feel horrible for what he has to deal with at the same time. He's been working on his house like a mad man for over a year now, building it all up and it's a beautiful house. Something went wrong, he could of lost everything, and insurance obviously wouldn't of covered a thing. And I know, that is still FAR from the worst that could of happened.

displayfireworks1
07-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Thank you for brining this to my attention, although I am not sure it should have been posted publically. I have been overwhelmed the last 5 days with fireworks displays, website and video issues, etc. I have a massive amount of emails I can not find time to answer. Yesterday a storm came through and took out one of my computers. When you posted this I did search through my emails and found the communication he sent me. I sent him an email.
I would advise not to rush a harsh judgment on him, according to this news report he may just have a storage violation. I'll be the first to admit over the years I shot fireworks in many locations I should not have. Lets let things play out a bit and see where it goes.
http://7online.com/news/police-seize-crates-of-illegal-fireworks-from-home-in-oceanside/829476/
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/wabc/images/cms/firewowkrsnew.jpg
I see the Cobra there, is that the Cobra slat in use?

Blackdevil77
07-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Thank you for brining this to my attention, although I am not sure it should have been posted publically. I have been overwhelmed the last 5 days with fireworks displays, website and video issues, etc. I have a massive amount of emails I can not find time to answer. Yesterday a storm came through and took out one of my computers. When you posted this I did search through my emails and found the communication he sent me. I sent him an email.
I would advise not to rush a harsh judgment on him, according to this news report he may just have a storage violation. I'll be the first to admit over the years I shot fireworks in many locations I should not have. Lets let things play out a bit and see where it goes.
http://7online.com/news/police-seize-crates-of-illegal-fireworks-from-home-in-oceanside/829476/
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/wabc/images/cms/firewowkrsnew.jpg
I see the Cobra there, is that the Cobra slat in use?

Thank you for your response and understanding, Dave. I agree, but I figured it would be the best/easiest way to get your attention, I know how busy you are and yes, everybody makes mistakes.

Yes, that is his Cobra system, which was also confiscated. I think it is, he would know more than me. He's been coordinated and planning this show for quite some time. He's actually very good at it, he's done some pyro musicals before that he's shown me videos of.

If you would like to, you can delete this thread. It served it's main purpose.

Blackdevil77
07-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Joe wanted me to inform you guys that the 1.3 products he had were multi-shot boxes and the only 1.3 shells he had were mines and comets with some 1.75 inch salutes mixed in. Just relaying the message, he didn't have any crazy huge shells or anything.

pyrotech5
07-08-2015, 09:14 PM
you should take something from this a type 54 users permit does not entitle you to shoot off class b fireworks. a permit must be obtained and all state and local regulations satisfied. that information should be available to people purchasing how to get a 54 package otherwise they only have 1/2 the info they need to legally obtain and use class b fireworks

Blackdevil77
07-08-2015, 09:22 PM
you should take something from this a type 54 users permit does not entitle you to shoot off class b fireworks. a permit must be obtained and all state and local regulations satisfied. that information should be available to people purchasing how to get a 54 package otherwise they only have 1/2 the info they need to legally obtain and use class b fireworks

Yup exactly, which is why I want to move or one day buy additional property out of NY. The NY requirements are just not possible for me to meet, especially in the location of NY that I'm in. There's just too much congestion and no where near enough room for fireworks, and the cost to rent out a park and obtain all necessary permits and everything else that's needed is astronomically expensive. That's why I put my type 54 on hold for now.

RAA516
07-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Is it true they let him out without any bail

Blackdevil77
07-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Is it true they let him out without any bail

Yes it is, but he still has another court hearing. That was the first court hearing the next day. I guess they figured he's not dangerous and he's not a flight risk so no need to detain him until his actual hearing. It was supposed to be today.

RAA516
07-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Probably won't be that bad then he will get threw it we all make mistakes

Blackdevil77
07-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Probably won't be that bad then he will get threw it we all make mistakes

I hope so, I'm rooting for him. He has a lot of friends and family support as well. Live and learn

pyroguy56
07-08-2015, 11:49 PM
That's not what the police are reporting. This guy says he never did something like this before then how did he come to the magic number of 539 guns he was going to shot and 91 cakes all 1.3g. He shouldn't get nothing back and his type 54 should be confiscated too.

Shooter
07-09-2015, 06:16 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't you have to have a permit and insurance to shoot any professional display.

Blackdevil77
07-09-2015, 07:01 AM
That's not what the police are reporting. This guy says he never did something like this before then how did he come to the magic number of 539 guns he was going to shot and 91 cakes all 1.3g. He shouldn't get nothing back and his type 54 should be confiscated too.

He hasn't done anything like this before on the street. He has shot shows before on large properties, by bodies of water. I thought I mentioned that, maybe I didn't And Everything wasn't 1.3g. Most of the Shells were Smoke and Mirrors 1.4g shells with some 1.75 inch 1.3g salutes mixed in. The 3 inch 1.3g products, he told me, were mines and comets.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't you have to have a permit and insurance to shoot any professional display.

Yes you do. And in NY, you have additional requirements to meet.

chriskrc
07-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Yes there are other requirements however that shouldn't stop anyone from being able to get there type 54. I had to put mine on a short hold with being busy with work but I still plan to get it. Now I think N.Y. truly wants too much when it comes to requirements for shooting displays.

Blackdevil77
07-09-2015, 10:15 AM
Yes there are other requirements however that shouldn't stop anyone from being able to get there type 54. I had to put mine on a short hold with being busy with work but I still plan to get it. Now I think N.Y. truly wants too much when it comes to requirements for shooting displays.

Yeah, getting the type 54 isn't the problem, it's satisfying the NY requirements. The Type 54 would be useless to me over here since I can't meet the NY state requirements. I'd be able to buy the stuff, but wouldn't be able to legally shoot it off in my home state.

chriskrc
07-09-2015, 11:36 AM
That's the same with me. It's truly a pain in the ass and I'm pretty sure it's to satisfy NYC.

Blackdevil77
07-09-2015, 12:06 PM
That's the same with me. It's truly a pain in the ass and I'm pretty sure it's to satisfy NYC.

Yes, it definitely is, without a doubt.

chriskrc
07-09-2015, 12:53 PM
From what I am understanding about other states is that it may be a little easier if and when we expand the new law. It seems that when aerials are legal then it may be easier to get 1.3 for a show. If I am wrong then hopefully someone will chime in and correct me

jknepp1954
07-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Regardless of which state you live in - when you shoot 1.3g - YOU MUST GET WHATEVER PERMIT IS REQUIRED!!!

Blackdevil77
07-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Regardless of which state you live in - when you shoot 1.3g - YOU MUST GET WHATEVER PERMIT IS REQUIRED!!!

Yup, you need the Type 54 which allows you to purchase and store the products, and you need to obtain a permit to shoot the stuff. And in NY, you also need a separate NY state shooters license/permit apparently, and to have one of those and keep one, you have to shoot a certain amount of shows a year, and 3 of which you have to be the lead shooter. And you're not allowed to have a contingency storage plan, you have to own the property that you store your stuff at. This was from a politicians mouth straight from Albany that I had look into it for me.

chriskrc
07-10-2015, 07:36 AM
That's what I can't stand. I don't mind getting a N.Y. shooters license and insurance but if I have contingency storage then why the hell do I need to have my own magazine. I've looked up 1.3 fireworks for sale and there is a company that sells them here. If I buy from them then they would probably give a contingency storage plan so why can't that be good enough. It's all political b.s.

Northern Sky
07-10-2015, 08:54 AM
I'd like to learn more about how it is legal for these AUTHORITIES to transport loaded racks of product in an enclosed trailer. Where did they get their DOT training?

What the heck.

I'd do a citizens arrest on those buffoons.

Blackdevil77
07-10-2015, 08:56 AM
That's what I can't stand. I don't mind getting a N.Y. shooters license and insurance but if I have contingency storage then why the hell do I need to have my own magazine. I've looked up 1.3 fireworks for sale and there is a company that sells them here. If I buy from them then they would probably give a contingency storage plan so why can't that be good enough. It's all political b.s.

Basically the reason is NY hates fireworks and they want to make it as annoying as possible for people to be able to buy and use them.

Blackdevil77
07-10-2015, 08:57 AM
I'd like to learn more about how it is legal for these AUTHORITIES to transport loaded racks of product in an enclosed trailer. Where did they get their DOT training?

What the heck.

I'd do a citizens arrest on those buffoons.

Good question, I didn't notice any placards or anything on that trailer either.

chriskrc
07-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Basically the reason is NY hates fireworks and they want to make it as annoying as possible for people to be able to buy and use them.

Well hopefully we can change that but that will be a bigger fight than we will have to probably allow aerials within the next few years.

chriskrc
07-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Good question, I didn't notice any placards or anything on that trailer either.

Yeah when I saw a truck resupplying a tent by my house there were no placards on it.

chriskrc
07-13-2015, 09:15 AM
I've had a little bit of a thought. To do a display for money nys requires extra certification under their part. Now if it's not for money ( which is how I plan to start) , how is N.Y. going to deny me a permit if I have an insurance and contingency storage. The only issue is if in commerce. At first I don't plan to be but in the future I do.