PDA

View Full Version : 12-Year-Old Dies After Fireworks Accident In South Nashville

displayfireworks1
06-29-2015, 11:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyAQ_fnZHu4
I keep trying to tell anyone that will listen, either education or redesign of the reloadable mortar kits are needed. I always find it interesting these reloadable are banned in many countries outside of USA.

BluegrassPyro1
06-30-2015, 12:06 AM
Our local news here in Western Kentucky covered the story. From their reporting it sounds like the boy was in a group of kids when the incident occurred so doubtful any adult supervision was around.

fireworkfan
06-30-2015, 05:49 AM
TBH I love the canister shells but,i agree with dave there needs to be a re-do on them because i believe joe q public thinks the shell could go either way where as you look at a ball shell and that realistically could only go one way at least thats my thought.

chriskrc
06-30-2015, 07:55 AM
According to what I read these kids were playing with fireworks already without adult supervision. A neighbor started lightning off some mortars to join in ( I think he was in his 20s ), when something happened and he lost a shell. Apparently he saw it and asked the kid to grab it. Well the kid and his friends took a tube and the shell and the kid was holding the tube. The story said the shell was damaged but the kids grabbed the stuff and lit it before the guy could stop them. Once again no real adult supervision and there's the accident.

Dion
06-30-2015, 08:48 AM
You can thank all the young and dumb kids on you tube lighting and throwing them like firecrackers!! When I was young I knew not to hold one in my hand after lighting and nobody had to teach me this it was just common sense something these new generation's of kids do not have! So sorry to hear that someone's son had to die because he didn't know better!! At the end of the day its not the firework that's the problem but the ignorance of the user.

displayfireworks1
06-30-2015, 08:56 AM
The story changes everywhere I read it. Now it sound like someone was holding the mortar.
A damaged artillery-style firework exploded on Braden while he held a launching tube Sunday night in the public housing area of Lewis Street, Metro police said in a news release. Two men carried Braden to a vehicle and drove him to Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt where he died, police said.
Woods had set off several of the shells when he noticed that two of the juveniles had grabbed two of the unexploded fireworks, and Woods asked Antonio Braden to retrieve one of them from a friend, police said. The friend threw the shell, causing it to break.
Woods told police the next thing he knew, Antonio Braden was holding a tube toward the sky while another young person was lighting the damaged firework. The shell made a strange sound, and Antonio Braden ran about 30 feet before collapsing, Woods reported to police. A nearby resident in the 700 block of Lewis Street called 911 at 10:40 p.m., and Woods and another man took Antonio Braden to the hospital.
I wonder if that strange sound was the sound you hear when the shell is in backwards.

Here is the full story. One of many out there.
http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson%20/2015/06/29/child-dies-after-firework-explodes-in-his-hands/29454165/

jknepp1954
06-30-2015, 09:09 AM
don't mean to make light of situation - but in simple terms...
STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES~ THERE IS NO CURE FOR THIS!!!
A local customer talked to me 2 months ago. His nephew is star pitcher for high school baseball team - 14 yr old - already scouts looking at him. he got into his older brothers fireworks stash (19 yr old), grabbed I think what he said was a 1.75" 1.4g salute (yeah i know?) lit the shell was going to throw like a baseball.....i think you all can finish that statement what happened. showed me a pic of what was left of his right hand! horrible doesn't even begin to describe

matandch
06-30-2015, 09:20 AM
We're just starting to make strides in overturning long standing bans on fireworks in many states. Calling for returning to bans on some forms of fireworks is not the way to move forward. Guns are banned in may countries. Is that why they should be banned here? I think not. Same goes for fireworks. Education of the consumer on the safe and proper use of fireworks is the key to keeping the ball moving in the right direction with respect keeping consumer fireworks legal where they are and legalizing them where they are not.

fireworkfan
06-30-2015, 06:37 PM
I agree with the education part,it even goes beyond shells really weather ball or can it goes with all fireworks I still know people that hold roman candles so it goes far beyond just one incident sadly.

PGH_Pyro
06-30-2015, 11:32 PM
the PGI should step up with all of their millions of dollars and encourage education/safety classes .