PDA

View Full Version : PA to legalize?

N3OQO
06-28-2015, 08:04 AM
I hope this passes, its about time!!!

http://m.northcentralpa.com/article/lawmakers-introduce-bill-legalize-sale-consumer-fireworks-pennsylvania

Dion
06-28-2015, 09:19 AM
This will be Fantastic!!

jknepp1954
06-28-2015, 09:25 AM
I just found out about this from our executive director in Harrisburg yesterday morning. there has been talk for a few years about doing something like this - but only talk. most of the BIG companies are actually totally against it. while the smaller companies like us are all for it. We just don't want to end up like Indiana and be totally overwhelmed and saturated with 300+ stores in state - nor do we want to be like Ohio or Md and have a moratorium and only limit to a few stores and be stuck on that. So it is going to a very tricky balancing act between the 2.
I am assuming there are 2 or 3 companies that are behind this all of a sudden action....but so far no one knows who they are. Trust me - it is def NOT Phantom nor TNT!!!!

N3OQO
06-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Would be nice to slam dunk it through before the 4th, but I highly doubt that would happen. This is long overdue. I would think a nice balance near the two biggest cities here would be like a dozen stores near Pittsburgh and 2 near Philly, and throw another couple dozen across the state. Supply, demand, and healthy competition is always good for everyone.

PGH_Pyro
06-28-2015, 11:46 AM
PA is 25 years behind about every other state as far as progress so, I won't hold my breath .. we've got some real dinosaur-minded idiots in state government here .

displayfireworks1
06-28-2015, 01:10 PM
I agree that is not Phantom Fireworks. Long before I was involved with making fireworks videos and a website. I was active in trying to push the State of Pennsylvania to legalize Consumer Fireworks. There was a pending bill at the time. I wrote a letter to Phantom Fireworks asking for a donation to help purchase some promotional items etc. Bruce Zoldan had no idea who I was at the time and send me a cash donation. He went on the explain when it came to political issues he could only make a personal donation of a limited amount, he further explained it was grass root movements like the one I was working with are the ones that have success in changing things. Now TNT on the other hand I am not so sure about, I saw them in action in California and Virginia fight to keep the Safe and Sane products as the only products to be legal.

PyroManiacs
06-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Man I hate TNT!

Every time someone even says anything about them and their fireworks, I cringe!

I still bought a couple of their fountains in the supermarket though, HAHAH! :)

N3OQO
06-28-2015, 08:39 PM
The fireworks laws are Orwellian and out of date. As I type this I can hear repeaters going off in the neighborhood. Put some common sense stipulations in the legalization, which holidays, hours, and such. I'm not sure you want to allow it in neighborhoods like Pittsburgh's south side, where the backyards are 10 by 10 with frame row houses though! I've never seen a politician turn down a tax, I'm hoping this passes asap.

matandch
06-28-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure you want to allow it in neighborhoods like Pittsburgh's south side, where the backyards are 10 by 10 with frame row houses though!

Shhh...let the pols figure that out for themselves.

PGH_Pyro
06-29-2015, 12:45 PM
i've been hearing bottle rockets / crackers / single shells for last few nights . it's funny how it increases in frequency the closer to the 4th we get.

PGH_Pyro
06-29-2015, 12:47 PM
speaking of this area ... I saw this on the 'net and had to share it . sorry if it's TMI / NSFW .
:p

Knightmare
06-29-2015, 09:29 PM
Not going to happen....

PGH_Pyro
06-30-2015, 11:31 AM
TNT / etc will send their high powered lobbyist/misinformation agent to Harrisburg to shut it down is what will happen .
"but what about the children" and all the other b.s. arguments.

Knightmare
06-30-2015, 02:20 PM
^

This and someone will undoubtedly hurt themselves when shooting fireworks.

N3OQO
07-15-2015, 07:21 PM
KDKA Pittsburgh had a segment about this. The teaser was M80's pictures. Then there is that media thing.....

PyroManiacs
07-17-2015, 01:04 AM
Heres that article...

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Bottle rockets, roman candles and mortars.
It is illegal to sell, buy or use them in Pennsylvania — illegal in fact for state residents to go out of state and get them.
“Technically, they are criminals for going across the border and bring them back to Pennsylvania. We think that is absurd,” said State Sen. Don White of Pennsylvania.
Currently, the state only allows the sale and use of what can only be described as glorified sparklers — products that may look like a roman candle or an M-80, but disappoint those expecting a boom.
Sen. White is sponsoring a bill to legalize real ones, even though the news has been crowded lately with stories of professional football players losing fingers, and a young man in Maine who died from setting off a mortar on his head.
“You know, you can’t legislate stupid and I think that responsible people should have the option,” Sen. White said.
“I think it’s crazy. I think it’s ludicrous. I think it’s unsafe and unhealthy for the state of Pennsylvania,” said Peggy Lips of Pittsburgh.
The proposed legislation will face serious headwinds.

While White says a 10 percent tax on the sales of fireworks will generate millions of dollars to fund volunteer fire departments and ambulances services, opponents like Lips say legalization is only going to make more work for first responders.
“What kind of money justifies this? Is it any body part — do you put it into a formula and say that’s why it makes sense to bring it into Pennsylvania?” Lips said.
And crowded urban areas like the city of Pittsburgh have long taken a hard line stance on the sale and use of anything that explodes or shoots fire balls in the air — conducting routine inspections of sales tents and issuing fines and citations to violators.
Sen. White says he has heard their concerns.
“The last thing they want is rockets going off on Forbes Avenue. So, that’s part of the deal that maybe we’ll exempt Pittsburgh. We’ll exempt Philadelphia,” Sen. White said.

Regardless if they exempt Pittsburgh and definitely Philly for that matter... Its still a war zone in Philly on the 3rd, 4th and 5th. Police still do not take any fireworks disturbance calls those days. Like I have stated in a prior post about this from last year or so... there is 1 officer per every 227 citizens.
6,600 officers in a city of 1.55mil

Pittsburgh only has 305k with 1400 officers. Thats just under Philly's ratio at 1 officer for every 217 citizens.

So whats the point of exempting then?

PGH_Pyro
07-27-2015, 12:14 AM
media including KDKA only make $$$ if they portray these and any news stories in a sensationalist light
i know someone who works for them and he has echoed same ideas.
just turn your tv off .

N3OQO
01-26-2016, 05:34 PM
Nothing in the news about this lately. Surprising, given the state of politics in this state. They've even talked about taxing deli meat.

mikejwjr
01-27-2016, 11:04 AM
The bill introduced is Senate Bill 1055. Here is the website for the bill: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/billinfo.cfm?syear=2015&sind=0&body=S&type=B&bn=1055.

I have not heard when it will be on the agenda for vote.

jknepp1954
01-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Public hearing on Feb 10 in Harrisburg

N3OQO
02-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Joyce, you seem to get the skinny on stuff. Be sure to let us know if you hear anything. But I'm sure you will. ;)

Westpapyro
02-11-2016, 03:10 AM
Wow
Anybody else read who's for this and who's against?
http://www.pennlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/02/making_it_legal_to_buy_roman_c.html

jknepp1954
02-11-2016, 08:18 AM
there is also a press issue from Beaver county THE TIMES
http://www.timesonline.com/news/governmentandpolitics/bill-would-give-fireworks-lovers-in-pennsylvania-the-freedom-to/article_3c97e11c-d044-11e5-b38f-dbfd8b0b521b.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share
I did not attend due to surgery couple weeks ago - but heard mostly negative remarks

pitshack
02-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Shame on you Kellner's. I have never gone to your store nor will I ever!

jknepp1954
02-11-2016, 10:45 AM

Just to set the record straight - Bob K spoke of BEHALF OF the PA PRYOTECHNICS ASSOCIATION. HE DID NOT speak for his own benefit!!!
What he said is actually pretty much the general consensus of MOST of the fireworks businesses in our state.

matandch
02-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Where do you stand on the issue, Joyce?

jknepp1954
02-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Here is the video link to the state senate site of the hearing - now i need to listen and study HARD
http://www.pasenategop.com/blog/2016/02/05/021016/
Where do i stand? Loaded questions as there are many good points to bill - however i feel the bad points by FAR OUTWEIGH the good ones

PyroManiacs
02-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Guess we will just have to wait and see...:confused:

displayfireworks1
02-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Great post Joyce. I have to find time to watch that video in the coming days.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-12-2016, 05:42 PM
there is also a press issue from Beaver county THE TIMES
http://www.timesonline.com/news/governmentandpolitics/bill-would-give-fireworks-lovers-in-pennsylvania-the-freedom-to/article_3c97e11c-d044-11e5-b38f-dbfd8b0b521b.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share
I did not attend due to surgery couple weeks ago - but heard mostly negative remarks

A subscription is required to access this premium local content.---would not let me in to read the page. Joyce-if you can access it, could you copy & paste the article? Thanks!!!

yoshisbar
02-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Can't understand why the PA PRYOTECHNICS ASSOCIATION would oppose this bill. It is a bill that needs some tweaks but if you lobby to fix it rather than oppose it, you may get further. Yea sure the markup on safe and sane items is unreal (the retailers make TONS, trust me bar business you make 30% fireworks more like 60+, I used to own a bar, hense "yoshisbar"). But if you only sell x amount of product in 1 month of the year and make a profit, what if you could sell 2x or more times the product ALL year and make that profit twice over. Volume is volume. These companies set up on the boarders to attract customers from other states, But I bet for every 1 guy from another state walks in to buy, 4 guys from THIS state would like to do the same thing, and if the limit the licenses as they do with liquor licenses you would not end up with towns with 15 fireworks stores. And if some of it is earmarked for the fire companies (via the taxes) who REALLY need it, it is a win... Just my thought..

jknepp1954
02-13-2016, 01:17 AM
Jjoe - didn't realize that article was on a time limit - sorry - i did not save to any file.
Basically said the same thing as the other aticle - just a little diff twist to it
There is a site on the PA SEN web page that has the hole meeting as to what went on. see my linkk on post 27

Westpapyro
02-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Does anyone know if the Pa Pyro Ass has put out a statement saying why the opposition to this bill?
I understand some reasons hurt their member bottom line, like having to comply with 1124 rules, larger license fees, no grandfathering in of new licenses but come those are all selfish. We all know they would just pass on the cost increases to the consumer. Is there any groups looking out for the consumer? Does the PPA realize there customer base would 10fold? I would like to hear more from them? Do they have a website where they can take comments? Joyce I do not want my anger to effect you, but personally I would like to hear more about the bad parts that far out way the good parts. Feel free to call or email to put me in my place! ;)

Westpapyro
02-13-2016, 03:03 PM
duplicate post

displayfireworks1
02-15-2016, 12:03 AM
Will these signs ever come down?
https://billypenn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/PA-residents-not-permitted.jpg
Wait, if it passes they only have to remove the word "Not". LOL

N3OQO
02-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Would love to see the NOT removed. Lets hope it gets through.

Zach27
02-15-2016, 01:32 PM
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before a bill allowing Pennsylvania residents to purchase passes though we do not want them ending up like Michigan where the firework law receives constant negativity.

jknepp1954
02-15-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before a bill allowing Pennsylvania residents to purchase passes though we do not want them ending up like Michigan where the firework law receives constant negativity.
And that is basically what we are trying to do - DO IT RIGHT!

KELLFIRE mike
02-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Its interesting that the focus is on illegal consumer fireworks but as you know PA is a permit state. So if you can get a permit which in the country it isn't usually a problem and you can buy ALL the Consumer Fireworks you want. Of course the cities aren't going to want fireworks shot off in the city. So if consumer fireworks is "legalized" how long will it last after inner city Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Philly residents start shooting fireworks off in the cities, if it causes fires, if they are used in protests, riots, etc.? Also if the GOVERNMENT is pushing for this do you think THEY have your best interest in mind? They see it as a money maker and the cost will be passed on to the consumer.

This is my 2 cents and doesn't reflect that of management.... Carry on.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-17-2016, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know if the Pa Pyro Assn has put out a statement saying why the opposition to this bill?
We have a "members access only" Facebook group but NOTHING has been said about this.
There is a club shoot on Feb 27th & hopefully several of the officers will be there--I, myself, would like to hear the "hows & whys" of their policy, who made it, and how it was implemented as "club policy" without the membership knowing anything about it!!!
[QUOTE} Does the PPA realize there customer base would 10fold? I would like to hear more from them? Do they have a website where they can take comments?[/QUOTE]
The club web page is-and has been-broken. It needs to be completely overhauled.
Plus, remember the unwritten rule of PA Pyros---Fight Club!!! If you don't know what I mean by that Chuck, send me a PM.

FYI---I corrected PA Pyro Ass to read PA Pyro Assn-----just saying! ROFL!

PyroJoeNEPA
02-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Does anyone know if the Pa Pyro Assn has put out a statement saying why the opposition to this bill?
We have a "members access only" Facebook group but NOTHING has been said about this.
There is a club shoot on Feb 27th & hopefully several of the officers will be there--I, myself, would like to hear the "hows & whys" of their policy, who made it, and how it was implemented as "club policy" without the membership knowing anything about it!!!

Does the PPA realize there customer base would 10fold? I would like to hear more from them? Do they have a website where they can take comments?
Plus, remember the unwritten rule of PA Pyros---Fight Club!!! If you don't know what I mean by that Chuck, send me a PM.

Rocketshooter
02-17-2016, 05:43 PM

Joe, are you confusing PA Pyro Assoc with PA Pyro Artists ?

yoshisbar
02-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Its interesting that the focus is on illegal consumer fireworks but as you know PA is a permit state. So if you can get a permit which in the country it isn't usually a problem

I would like to comment on your statement, with a short true event I am dealing with, and I'm sure it is being repeated around the state.

Looking to do a wedding this summer in a particular Twp. Normally, would just go do it, but since I have my ATF license I wanted to "do it by the book".
Called the local Twp. building, "hey, what do I need to do, who do I see". The response "We don't give permits". No ordinance on the books but if you shoot fireworks off they will call the state police. Townships DON'T want the liability, and problems they THINK fireworks would cost them.

Now that being said, this doesn't even follow the current law (twp MUST control fireworks permits).

In Michigan EVERY town, city whatever was MADE to set a policy (some total ban some total freedom ect)

If PA passes this I am VERY sure Pittsburgh, Philly and such would set strict limits (as they should and have to right to under the bill)
But it would also make these little "Podunk" (as I call them) townships, step up and deal with it, and guess what, if they don't, no money from the sale for them. Money motivates politicians as we all know..

PyroJoeNEPA
02-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Joe, are you confusing PA Pyro Assoc with PA Pyro Artists ?

Yes, I guess I am!!! Can I claim "Old Age"??????as an excuse?

Rocketshooter
02-17-2016, 06:00 PM
Its interesting that the focus is on illegal consumer fireworks but as you know PA is a permit state. So if you can get a permit which in the country it isn't usually a problem and you can buy ALL the Consumer Fireworks you want. Of course the cities aren't going to want fireworks shot off in the city. So if consumer fireworks is "legalized" how long will it last after inner city Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Philly residents start shooting fireworks off in the cities, if it causes fires, if they are used in protests, riots, etc.? Also if the GOVERNMENT is pushing for this do you think THEY have your best interest in mind? They see it as a money maker and the cost will be passed on to the consumer.

This is my 2 cents and doesn't reflect that of management.... Carry on.

People are already setting off fireworks in Pittsburgh, Philly and Harrisburg. That part won't change with or without a legalization.
The current permit system though is not a good solution. Some areas have fireworks haters that won't sign permits. Plus they are only good for a certain time and date. Fine for a specific show but if you want to just go into your back yard and test fire a cake or just scratch a little pyro itch your not going to get a permit for that. That's why 1.4 legalization is important.

Rocketshooter
02-17-2016, 06:34 PM
Here is the video link to the state senate site of the hearing - now i need to listen and study HARD
http://www.pasenategop.com/blog/2016/02/05/021016/
Where do i stand? Loaded questions as there are many good points to bill - however i feel the bad points by FAR OUTWEIGH the good ones

Thanks for posting this Joyce. The testimonies give to the senate committee were rather entertaining. Some expected and some were surprising.
The fire safety people gave the usual we need to protect you from yourself routine but some of the comments from PPA people were a little over the top. Yes there needs to be some tweeking of the current bill but come on, the Keystone guy being opposed because they are concerned over safety (fireworks being used in cities like Pittsburgh or Philly) is crap. Keystone built several stores on the Maryland border to take advantage of the out of state sales loophole in the current law. How concerned are they about the safety of all the people from Baltimore buying from their stores? Do they refuse sales to people whose address is a large city? I think not. The protectionist stance of the PPA is too extreme and their claim that the state will be overrun with out of state fireworks companies that will drive them all out of business is bogus. If that was the case, then why haven't all these companies already come in and stolen all the safe and sane business?
Food for thought.

N3OQO
02-17-2016, 06:54 PM
A couple of years ago on the 4th of July I had to stop and look up in awe, the sky had turned so reddish/orange that it was casting my shadow. The prohibition has got to end with some common sense.

jknepp1954
02-18-2016, 07:50 PM
The Pa Pyrotechnics Association is a business association comprised of business owners of many of the fireworks companies. When the bill came out - we discussed and took a poll of those attending - 7 or 8 companies i think. we went around the table and each one - including myself - said it was a horribly written bill.
I am sure that Keystone and Kellner may have also slipped in some of their own personal opinions in notions....
a couple weeks later the PPA then invited the NON MEMBERS of the industry to a round table discussion of bill. of those who spoke at this meeting - ALL (about 40) were also in general consensus of this is not a good bill. And of course each one said of some of the improvements they would like to see in bill. THERE WAS NO ONE at the second meeting said put it through as is - go for it - NO ONE!!!!! if there was someone out there who had positive thoughts - they did not speak them....

jknepp1954
02-18-2016, 07:59 PM
Thanks for posting this Joyce. The testimonies give to the senate committee were rather entertaining. Some expected and some were surprising.
The fire safety people gave the usual we need to protect you from yourself routine but some of the comments from PPA people were a little over the top. Yes there needs to be some tweeking of the current bill but come on, the Keystone guy being opposed because they are concerned over safety (fireworks being used in cities like Pittsburgh or Philly) is crap. Keystone built several stores on the Maryland border to take advantage of the out of state sales loophole in the current law. How concerned are they about the safety of all the people from Baltimore buying from their stores? Do they refuse sales to people whose address is a large city? I think not. The protectionist stance of the PPA is too extreme and their claim that the state will be overrun with out of state fireworks companies that will drive them all out of business is bogus. If that was the case, then why haven't all these companies already come in and stolen all the safe and sane business?
Food for thought.
I must admit - i kinda question that stance myself. I think they were historically looking at Indiana, Michigan, and maybe a couple other states where once upon a time you really didn't have JAKES retail stores, BIGS retail stores, and perhaps a few other mid west companies - and now you do. These companies have never really been into the S&S biz persay - but of course TNT and PHANTOM ARE! and then you have folks like me - who has a few S&S stands - the mom and pop operators....
AGAIN - these are of my ever so humble opinions - these statements may or may not be 100% totally accurate!

PGH_Pyro
02-19-2016, 08:53 PM
If PA passes this I am VERY sure Pittsburgh, Philly and such would set strict limits (as they should and have to right to under the bill)

i disagree and no, they shouldn't . I live in the city and there are plenty of people shooting pyro and safely, every 4th July / New Year Eve and etc.
I cannot recall any time recent that as much as a fire occured . granted, some idiots (that have probably had too much to drink) may keep lighting stuff too late at night but you'll have that, anywhere , city or country / desert / tundra, etc etc etc ... and as someone else pointed out - people are going to light fireworks, legal or not . I think it's reasonable to allow city residents to have their pyro fun at the very least, on the usual fireworks-y holidays ...

Rocketshooter
02-20-2016, 02:15 PM
I must admit - i kinda question that stance myself. I think they were historically looking at Indiana, Michigan, and maybe a couple other states where once upon a time you really didn't have JAKES retail stores, BIGS retail stores, and perhaps a few other mid west companies - and now you do. These companies have never really been into the S&S biz persay - but of course TNT and PHANTOM ARE! and then you have folks like me - who has a few S&S stands - the mom and pop operators....
AGAIN - these are of my ever so humble opinions - these statements may or may not be 100% totally accurate!

Joyce, what bothered me the most was how the presentation was done. Yes, the bill needs some revision,but don't attack it as a bad idea. Why couldn't they have simply said that legalization was a good idea and but here are our concerns with the current version. Rather, they started spouting off about safety concerns. The anti's have enough ammunition already. I don't want to see those who have supported the fireworks community over the years, yourself included, hurt by this. However, it's very frustrating that the fireworks industry in PA is pushing to stop the selling of fireworks.

N3OQO
02-20-2016, 04:18 PM
Follow the money. If there were real competition here in PA, companies like TNT lose. They have tents all over the area here every year filled with pricey garbage.

Westpapyro
02-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Joyce, what bothered me the most was how the presentation was done. Yes, the bill needs some revision,but don't attack it as a bad idea. The anti's have enough ammunition already. I don't want to see those who have supported the fireworks community over the years, yourself included, hurt by this. However, it's very frustrating that the fireworks industry in PA is pushing to stop the selling of fireworks.
Well said Wendell!

displayfireworks1
02-20-2016, 09:45 PM
At Rocketshooter
I keep telling people there are no "Anti-Fireworks" groups. The real enemy of fireworks is from within the pyrotechnic community and some distributors. The "Anti-Fireworks" is something imaginary created by these fireworks people to explain some of the thinks they do and say. It is all under this guise of protecting it from "Anti-Fireworks". I am out there probably more than any fireworks user and promoter, I never received a single email or message from any so called Anti-Fireworks group. The only people trying to stop me, are people from within the fireworks community. What would their motive be?

yoshisbar
02-20-2016, 11:53 PM
i disagree and no, they shouldn't . I live in the city and there are plenty of people shooting pyro and safely, every 4th July / New Year Eve and etc.
I cannot recall any time recent that as much as a fire occured . granted, some idiots (that have probably had too much to drink) may keep lighting stuff too late at night but you'll have that, anywhere , city or country / desert / tundra, etc etc etc ... and as someone else pointed out - people are going to light fireworks, legal or not . I think it's reasonable to allow city residents to have their pyro fun at the very least, on the usual fireworks-y holidays ...

You are correct, And I will clarify my comment. If you do live in an area that supports you being able to shoot safely, and no harm done GREAT. But I see these utube idiots all the time shooting excels in the street that has row houses for neighbors at 12am and that is not safe and just dumb. If they want to do it right, then follow the codes for fireworks. Yea it is money in the government pockets, And most would just rather ban things for lack of responsibility, but if they don't agree get someone elected that understands that.

I live in that neighborhood. I have neighbors 75 feet next store, but I have 700+ feet back clearance and can shoot a lot.

Rocketshooter
02-21-2016, 04:30 PM
At Rocketshooter
I keep telling people there are no "Anti-Fireworks" groups. The real enemy of fireworks is from within the pyrotechnic community and some distributors. The "Anti-Fireworks" is something imaginary created by these fireworks people to explain some of the thinks they do and say. It is all under this guise of protecting it from "Anti-Fireworks". I am out there probably more than any fireworks user and promoter, I never received a single email or message from any so called Anti-Fireworks group. The only people trying to stop me, are people from within the fireworks community. What would their motive be?

Dave to clarify, by anti-fireworks groups I was referring to the National Fire Protection Assoc people who would like to see all consumer fireworks made illegal. They made the usual pitch of burning houses and innocent children harmed etc. However, the PPA people are using safety concerns as a reason , just like the NFPA, not to legalize. It's all about protecting their profits and not the protection of the consumer. You are correct however that there are many groups and companies in the fireworks industry who, for selfish reasons, are fighting the expansion of consumer fireworks usage among the general public.

matandch
02-21-2016, 08:07 PM
It's all about protecting their profits and not the protection of the consumer. You are correct however that there are many groups and companies in the fireworks industry who, for selfish reasons, are fighting the expansion of consumer fireworks usage among the general public.

Hear! Hear! We need to get the big business money lobby out of the pockets of the politicians and give the power back to "we the people!"

displayfireworks1
02-21-2016, 10:15 PM
The NFPA is taking a proper position to argue their point about fireworks, with education and awareness. We may or may not agree with them. It is however the respectable way to do it. What is not proper, hatred , lies, jealousy and dirty tricks. The NFPA has never said a word to me. Some of their material has actually helped me get fireworks permits. Strong oppositions comes from Medical Alliances particularity Emergency Room Physicians. My guess is the NFPA uses them to give credibility to their position.
Here is one of the NFPA public service messages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcFuIEwbITA
There is more knowledge needed on how to properly use Consumer Fireworks for the average user. This has to come from the proper organization. The American Pyrotechnic Association and/or The National Fireworks Association. I do see the APA doing things from time to time, the NFA has never that I am aware of.

HuskerNation
03-26-2016, 08:02 PM
It's been a month since the last post here. No new info coming out? Just curious.

Pyro@Mach13
04-09-2016, 10:15 AM

Why, what he said is fine. Requiring a simple to get permit (as is the law now) is the way to go!

matandch
04-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Why, what he said is fine. Requiring a simple to get permit (as is the law now) is the way to go!

I respectfully disagree. In my opinion we ought to be for full unfettered legalization of 1.4g Class C fireworks. Many states already permit fully or near fully legal Class C fireworks. The rest of the states should follow suit. Besides, it will reduce the size and reach of government plus raise revenue.

N3OQO
04-10-2016, 03:58 PM
I heard a lot of encouraging remarks the other night at Kellners about the proposed law, but the proposed tax seems a bit stiff. And we all know that taxes go where they are intended!! LOL My guess is just the political winds at this time will help, they are fighting over money/revenues. We are already well into April, I hope we hear something soon.

Pyro@Mach13
04-10-2016, 05:56 PM
I respectfully disagree. In my opinion we ought to be for full unfettered legalization of 1.4g Class C fireworks. Many states already permit fully or near fully legal Class C fireworks. The rest of the states should follow suit. Besides, it will reduce the size and reach of government plus raise revenue.

It already is fully legal..... how hard is it to get a permit? I get several each year in PA. No problem. I do not want every Tom, Dick, and Harry to shoot any time they want. That would be a detriment to the hobby.

NWPA
04-10-2016, 06:20 PM
The taxes going to volunteer fire departments would be wonderful. I'm all for it. They do a terrific job. So what if the taxes are high. I would gladly pay them.

matandch
04-10-2016, 10:14 PM
It already is fully legal..... how hard is it to get a permit? I get several each year in PA. No problem. I do not want every Tom, Dick, and Harry to shoot any time they want. That would be a detriment to the hobby.
Where I lived in Pa pretty hard.

That's one criticism I sometimes have of my fellow pyros. They become covetous of the hobby, and feel that only they deserve to celebrate our freedoms with fireworks. Consumer fireworks are for everyone.

djsmurf
04-10-2016, 10:54 PM
I know Ohio's law that fell on it's face they were talking about adding a 11% tax. The tax idea sucks, but being about to get a permit to shoot and enjoy a show without miles of red tape would be nice.

Pyro@Mach13
04-10-2016, 11:04 PM
Where I lived in Pa pretty hard.

That's one criticism I sometimes have of my fellow pyros. They become covetous of the hobby, and feel that only they deserve to celebrate our freedoms with fireworks. Consumer fireworks are for everyone.

Not true, so to speak - it is not for those who live in inner cites to shoot non braced in the streets. It is not for those who shoot at late hours on work nights. It is not for those who do so without care for safe use. It is not for those who sell it to kids... It is not for those who use it and leave the mess for others to pick up.

Covetousness has ZERO to do with it.

matandch
04-11-2016, 08:09 AM
You just articulated what anti-fireworks activists and law enforcement cite as reasons for complete bans.

Pyro@Mach13
04-11-2016, 11:52 AM
You just articulated what anti-fireworks activists and law enforcement cite as reasons for complete bans.

... and we wonder why?

matandch
04-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Your location explains it: NY state of mind.

RalphieJ
04-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Man I hate TNT!

Every time someone even says anything about them and their fireworks, I cringe!

I still bought a couple of their fountains in the supermarket though, HAHAH! :)

As we say in NY, TNT is "gah-bege" Cut the top off of what appears to be a 500 gram fountain, you'll find 3 gerbs and a lot of chipboard......but better than nothing I guess.

chriskrc
04-11-2016, 01:30 PM
TNT may help get safe and sane laws passed but that's all they are good for. Seriously come on they sell a full line of 1.4g fireworks and all they want to do is sell fountains at Walmart and other stores. Oh and fly drones to catch illegal fireworks displays in states that are only safe and sane. TNT has gotta go.

Knightmare
04-11-2016, 03:44 PM

Not everyone can get a permit.

You will not get one in certain townships even if you have property to shoot on.

Pyro@Mach13
04-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Not everyone can get a permit.

You will not get one in certain townships even if you have property to shoot on.

Now that is a point worth noting.... that should not be - I agree....

N3OQO
04-17-2016, 05:46 PM
Has there been any talk of a hearing or vote date yet? I know there was one hearing.

jknepp1954
04-18-2016, 08:02 AM
NOTHING! everything is quiet.
We have a state meeting of the Pa Pyro Association on the 28th - so hoping something will be discussed then.

Dion
05-09-2016, 01:00 PM
That Safety video is complete BS!!!! Pisses me the F**K off!!!

Knightmare
07-05-2016, 12:47 AM
I knew they would never do this in Pennsylvania state.

jknepp1954
07-05-2016, 09:28 AM
FIRST OF ALL - NEVER SAY NEVER!
REason I say that is they are still working on the bill - they have a 2nd draft out. This draft is just that - a draft. So basically it will eventually be reintroduced with a NEW PRINTERS NUMBER. Patience - nothing happens in the laws instantly.

PGH_Pyro
07-05-2016, 07:15 PM
youd think they were legal, here, last night , lol . rumor was pgh city police told to let the fireworks happen unless there were fires or injuries ... they weren't responding, in other words after a certain point .

Knightmare
07-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Anything new on this topic yet?

N3OQO
08-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Seems dead quiet. I've heard a few rumors of November something may happen.

PyroManiacs
12-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Well, another season has come and gone... anyone have any new info?

jknepp1954
12-17-2016, 03:38 AM
Bill is DEAD! So now it needs to be re-introduced by either house or senate. Have not heard yet if that is going to happen.
Wait and see I guess

PGH_Pyro
12-19-2016, 10:54 AM
backwards-vania (this and many other issues...)

gghff
05-06-2017, 06:40 PM
I just got word that this is now Senate Bill 679 which I guess this is a step up from House Bill http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/bill_history.cfm?syear=2017&body=S&type=B&bn=679

jknepp1954
05-07-2017, 08:03 AM
I just got word that this is now Senate Bill 679 which I guess this is a step up from House Bill http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/bill_history.cfm?syear=2017&body=S&type=B&bn=679
I have 3 things to say about this bill:
Takes more money from you the customer - very little goes to the fire dept/ems - over half to the state
Takes more money from the fireworks dealer
Kills the 1.3 hobbyist - demanding $50,000 for a bond for permit
In other words the first bill was poorly written - this even far worse!!!! :mad: :mad:

Rocketshooter
05-08-2017, 12:24 PM
No discharge within 150ft of an occupied structure. Really? Many C items can be used less than 150ft from a house. A pack of firecrackers for example.

Bobby Peru
05-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Hoorah!!!

Hope it goes through.

Bout time

PGH_Pyro
05-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Pennsylbama

N3OQO
08-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Word on the street a few weeks ago was that a bill was going to pass this month. Haven't heard anything, or read anything in the news.

jknepp1954
08-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Word on the street a few weeks ago was that a bill was going to pass this month. Haven't heard anything, or read anything in the news.
HB542 is a HORRIBLE bill. They snuck it in as part of the tax revenue bill. Does no good to no one except Harrisburg (Capital Hill)

Wholesale Fireworks
08-25-2017, 02:10 PM
I have 3 things to say about this bill:
Takes more money from you the customer - very little goes to the fire dept/ems - over half to the state
Takes more money from the fireworks dealer
Kills the 1.3 hobbyist - demanding $50,000 for a bond for permit
In other words the first bill was poorly written - this even far worse!!!! :mad: :mad:

Joyce I completely agree it will cost the consumer $18 in tax per every $100 you spend and the licensing fees for the business owner is crazy. We feel for you :(

N3OQO
08-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Typical PA.