PDA

View Full Version : Large wheel set up

N3OQO
06-07-2015, 06:38 PM
I just picked up the biggest wheels I have ever had. They are 10 inches across, and as near as we can figure the spray will be about 5.75 feet across. I plan to use about 3-4 of these at a show this coming holiday weekend, but have never done any this large. I was thinking the local big hardware might have some metal stakes in the 6-8 ft range and I could mount a wood block on that. Any ideas how to stake these things folks? Ideally it would be portable as this show will be many miles away at a buddy's big spread in the country, which is idea for a display. The 4th is approaching quickly and things to work out....YIKES!!!

killer57
06-07-2015, 11:25 PM
go to your local concrete supplier and get some heavy duty rebar.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-08-2015, 09:04 AM
10" wheel isn't a lot of weight or thrust--you can use a 1" x 2" firring strip --10 foot would be ideal. Cut a second one 3 or 4 feet long, cut a point on one end. Drive that one into the ground about 18"-24" & screw the 10 footer to it with a couple drywall screws. Easy setup. Just be sure it is perpendicular to the ground [level] or the wheel will not spin properly. Also, a shot of WD-40 on the wheel hub will help. Wheels are fussy--they may seem to work perfectly when you spin them to test them, then when you light them they sit there and laugh at you....

N3OQO
06-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Also, a shot of WD-40 on the wheel hub will help. Wheels are fussy--they may seem to work perfectly when you spin them to test them, then when you light them they sit there and laugh at you....

Thanks for the tips Joe!!! Yes, wanted to test an idea I had the other night with some small wheels. Mounted three on a stake two in front one in the back, and of course one of them decided to play torch instead of wheel.......

Dion
06-08-2015, 10:08 PM
Which Wheels did you get? I myself just picked up a case of the Brothers Double or nothing wheels "AWESOME" to add to the others. If you are going to do a ground segment get your hands on the new item from Winda called "Ballerina Ball" Its a fountain with a section in the center that has two fountains angled that start spinning like a lawn sprinkler. Having those spinning up while the wheels spin the other way looks awesome and adds nice dynamics to the ground stuff. I came up with this idea and will be doing this for my backyard mostly groundfire show on the 4th.

N3OQO
06-11-2015, 04:33 PM
I worked it out. Got some metal 5 foot stakes from Lowes, and some 18 inch wooden stakes. I got a bundle of those because I will be doing dozens of smaller wheels as well. I attached the wood stake at the top with two carriage bolts. I am going to do a test this weekend I hope.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-13-2015, 01:54 PM
Looks like it should work out fine for you.....and you could always do a couple single shots zip tied off of the poles on an angle if you wanted to---like single tubes from a red or silver razzle ------ food for thought!

N3OQO
06-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Looks like it should work out fine for you.....and you could always do a couple single shots zip tied off of the poles on an angle if you wanted to---like single tubes from a red or silver razzle ------ food for thought!
Joe, I like the way you think!!! I don't have any single shots, but some roman candles might just fit the bill. I'm thinking of opening my show this year with three of these big wheels, fountains, like about 12 at once, and a rack of 20 canisters behind, hitting them in groups of 5. I grabbed a case of Hypnotica wheels, my first dabble with large wheels, these things look awesome for 1.4.