PDA

View Full Version : PyroFest is over--What are your thoughts on the event???

PyroJoeNEPA
05-24-2015, 11:47 PM
Well, we arrived on Friday afternoon--our original plan was to get there Thursday but the "powers that be" said we could not access the camp sites until Friday. Oh well! Just less "chil out time for us. We set up camp--2 RV's & a HUGE tent--you can see pics o my Facebook page. Had steak & shrimp for lunch. The Bixler Pyro guys eat well--thank you Mike Bixler!!!
We went over to the VIP area and then it started to go downhill! Here is a "cut & paste" I posted on the PyroFest Facebook page:

VIP tickets were a WASTE of Money! Friday food had undercooked boiled wings in sauce, generic store bought meatballs in plain "out of the bottle" bbq sauce, finger sandwiches of ham spread & dill which were soaked with salt, and a line of people that went on forever! Saturday was WORSE--the food line for the hors d'oeuvres was longer than the food supply & people were told "there is no more food--come back at 7PM for the dinner buffer. Well, the pasta dish on the buffet [penne pasta] was ice cold! sliced pork was ok but seriously lacking seasoning ad chiken legs were very bland & not hot. There was a dessert line--single file, and that was so long it discourager most of the people from even attempting to get a cookie or miniscule piece of cake! All in all, the VIP cost was a total ripoff. There was soda, water, gator aid, 2 kinds of beer & a couple varieties of wine. Since I don't drink, my money went to a coke & gator aid---pretty expensive beverages.
What was the issue with the production company for the main stage? You had a band performing --Johnny Angel & the Haloes--a really good band== and for their ENTIRE SHOW they were lit with purple/magenta light!!! Black scrim behind them, black floor, dark ceiling, & dark clothing & all you could see was "purple faces & hands". Was this lighting director color blind---or was there even a lighting director on site to oversee these things? It was ridiculous! I thought I was seeing a remake of "Blue Man Group". The band was great in spite of the problems with the sound system--but I just couldn't look at them & their "purple glow". Being a retired audio engineer I know the difficulties in what we all encounter in "one off" setups for venues like this, but those issues should have been resolved in minutes!

Well, we went back to the camp site & watched the shows from there--except for the lights from the Ferris Wheel we had great view of the shooting field.
Phantom put on a very nice demo using their 1.4g products--lots of nice color, good hang time on some of the product, and some really nice brocades.
Fantasy in the Shy--runner up--put on a killer show! I [and several of us} thought it was choreographed much better than the winning show that was shot on Sat night. There was some very nice product in the show. It would inspire anyone!
Next was Pyrotechnico's "Voyage thru the Universe". It had some very "unique" segments in it, & "here comes the sun" was really outstanding.

Saturday morning was bacon, sausage, eggs, & home fries--then several of the Bixler Crew were asked to help out in the field prep some of the product for Ricardo Caballer's show, Naturally they jumped at that opportunity & were gone all afternoon. They came back in time to deal with the messed up food at the VIP area.
I was over there for the Daytime Smoke & Salute display & was waiting for it to continue--it was over before it started. Disappointing. They can learn from Malta & Italy how to do a "Daytime Barrage"!
I do have to say the National Anthem & Military Tribute was very well done. As a former Viet Vet I appreciate the fact they recognized the veterans -past & current- during this time. A simple "Thank You --or Welcome Home" means SO much.
Again. Phantom shot a very nice demo, the Fantasy in the Sky winner shot his show, - and THeN______the moment everyone was waiting for--RICASA rocked it beyond measure with his show~ WOW is not a good enough word for his show! You had to be there to experience it.
After that, Pyrotechnico shot a great show---but the 4208 cues in the Ricasa show somehow upstaged them---quite a bit!

Overall, I had a great time. I ran into Dave several times [DF1] as well as several other people on the forum that I only knew as "screen names" and also spent some great "quality time" with some folks that are now "new friends". We had fun around our campfire and told lots of pyro stories! We all plan to return next year--we just wont waste the money on the VIP tickers!!!

If you were there---post your thoughts & experiences.

displayfireworks1
05-25-2015, 12:22 AM
Joe
Your assessment of things is so accurate, I admire that quality in you. When I read what you wrote it conformed some of my thoughts about the event. I probably can write a paragraph about the event and will in the near future. I spent a few hours tonight working on my video of Pyrofest 2015, I am rendering it and hope to start the upload process before I got to sleep. I hope to have it playing by tomorrow night. The mood and flow of this Pyrofest was not as good as I expected.

N3OQO
05-25-2015, 09:18 AM
There were a few logistic issues this year, and the buffet Friday evening was a horrible attempt. We never got anything to eat Friday evening, and when I voiced my displeasure at the situation I was given a pretzel. Are you kidding me? The extra day almost seemed like an after thought in general, just extra cash for a buffet that was nonexistent. I ran into a buddy of mine up there. He and his girl didn't bring any beer because it was advertised that there would be beer there and there wasn't, they of course were disappointed right off the bat. The fireworks were however very good both evenings. This could be a nationwide event with some good management.