PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Jacks

vegassalute
03-28-2015, 07:28 PM
I was wondering if any of you have a recommendation for a manufacturer that still makes Jumping Jacks that are of good quality. The jumping jacks of the 1980's and 1990's seemed to have been of much better quality vs. those that I've seen recently. Also out of my own curiosity, is the quality decline the result of newer regulations on composition/content for consumer product? I also recall ground bloom flowers from my youth that were awesome, like a JJ on steroids. Are those still around and are they decent? Thanks everyone.

countryboy7978
03-29-2015, 10:18 AM
Three reasons that Jumping Jacks will never be the way the Horse Brand and Red Lantern brands were in the 70's and 80's

1. Current CPSC regulations will not allow Jumping Jacks to leave the ground anymore to be considered S&S. They are considered ground spinners and can not rise more than 6" (I think) off the ground.
2. The old Jumping Jacks had crimped ends where as almost all firecracker manufacture today is done using clay or a similar substance to close the ends off. This adds weight to the jacks and keeps them pretty immobile for their size.
3. Jumping Jacks, like firecrackers, bottle rockets and novelties are a low margin item. Manufacturers, importers and retailers make a lot more money selling cakes, shells, and large fountains (in S&S areas) than they do these little labor intensive items. As a result they don't put a lot of quality and craftsmanship in them as they once did. The bottom line is money and most Joe-seasonal pyro is going to want to pay the lowest price for these items. $20 a brick Jumping Jacks won't sell well, so they load them as cheaply as possible to keep the price point low.

PGH_Pyro
03-29-2015, 10:36 AM
I recommend 'Zippers' & "Speed Balls" . Jumping jacks on steroids (and then some) .
Love them

vegassalute
03-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Thanks countryboy & PGH Pyro!! Nothing reminds me of my youth more than the sound of the old-school jumping jack whizzing around and that great smell of the smoke! I guess this could also be classified as a "you know you're a pyro when" post too. Thanks again everyone!

N3OQO
03-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Get some JUMBO jumping jacks, (Phantom makes a nice version) fuse a bunch together and jump back!!! Make sure you have a hard surface to light them on, and about 100 feet clearance, they tend to go anyway they want and about 70 feet or so.