PDA

View Full Version : type 54 = sad day....

ras1986
03-26-2015, 01:03 PM
What a bust! Application was forced to be withdrawn!!!! Magazine. Perfect. Distances. Perfect. Background. Perfect. Dave this is going to upset you but he denied me because the fire Marshall said not to because of the regulations it takes to shoot 1.3. He wouldn't give it to me without my shooters license........ guess I gotta shoot 5 shows and take the test first and then reapply.. i was going to get the license after I got my 54. The guy didn't care that federal licensing had nothing to do with state....
What a sad day for me.

Shootingstar_pyro86
03-26-2015, 01:22 PM
Did not know the ATF had to talk with the Fire Marshall.

CTPYRO
03-26-2015, 01:31 PM
This is a first I've ever heard of that since the ATF permit is to purchase product only. The FM has no say what so ever. I mean I live in CT where only approved safe n sane is allowed and I still got my permit. Yes I work with a display company and also the NHPA but I don't see where they can deny you regardless

ras1986
03-26-2015, 02:08 PM
He said it was to cover his ass if something tragic happened with me shooting 1.3..... i have full intention of obtaining my shooters license before I buy and shoot 1.3 but it just takes time to get the 5 professional shows under my belt. this investigator had no knowledge of the atf rules and regulations pertaining to 1.3 fireworks. I kept answering my own questions as he flipped thru his orange book searching for answers. Constantly correcting him on the regulations of my magazine. Sad day just sad

ras1986
03-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Now that i think about it I should not have been forced to withdraw my application. .. i shouldn't have signed that paper... i bet things would have gone better for me when it came closer to that 90 day mark

PyroJoeNEPA
03-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Something is fishy there for sure!

algrant1
03-26-2015, 05:12 PM
I would have not signed anything or withdrew the application

CTPYRO
03-26-2015, 06:59 PM
I would have not signed anything or withdrew the application

Well said.. I agree

ras1986
03-26-2015, 07:10 PM
The guy is cool. Maybe Monday morning (he is off tomorrow) I call him and ask to politely take back my withdrawl?

CTPYRO
03-26-2015, 07:13 PM
You really should...stand your ground

ras1986
03-26-2015, 07:57 PM
One thing I read pertaining to approval of the 54 was compliance with all state and local laws....

Shootingstar_pyro86
03-26-2015, 09:22 PM
How did he become involved in the first place?

displayfireworks1
03-26-2015, 09:30 PM
I am not sure how long you have been following my videos, but I specifically addressed it a few times "DO NOT LET THE ATF CONVIENCE YOU TO VOLUNTARILY WITHDRAW THE APPLICATION". I went through this with enthusiast in the state of Ohio and Maine etc. There are somewhere between 30 and 40 ATF Fireworks license in the entire state of Texas. You did something they just do not know how to deal with. you did everything correctly. The ATF is Texas is just not sure what to do with it. And they still do not know what to do with it because you let them convince you to drop it.
Listen to this video starting at 6:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgriSy-wCDU

ras1986
03-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Lol don't yell dave. I've seen all your videos and I know state has nothing to do with it. That's what i told him.. i tried. He told me pretty much "withdraw or get denied"

ras1986
03-26-2015, 10:01 PM
The fire Marshall was involved because the atf investigator knew nothing about professional fireworks so I'm sure he contacted the next best person who knew.

displayfireworks1
03-26-2015, 10:39 PM
I mean this in all respect, but when I look over the post leading up to this event, I think you wanted this to happen. You did everything right on one end, and expected failure on the other end. There is something called a "Self Fulfilling Prophesy" You knew you the truth, did everything correctly and expected failure. That is what happened, you made sure of it. I could call that ATF office in Texas and explain things to them, but my gut is telling it is not right in this situation. Maybe you should get a taste of professional fireworks by working as a helper on a professional fireworks display. If it is for you, I think you will approach this with a different expectation.
Now that you withdrew the application, you will get your money refunded, it may take up to 60 days to get the refund depending how you paid in the first place. The ATF refund process is very slow. You are free to apply again in the future.

ras1986
03-26-2015, 10:47 PM
I'm already setup to shoot 4 July 4th shows this year. I tried to do them for free but am being forced to be paid by the company... i want the signoffs... dave I thought this morning hell yea I'm going to get my 54 today and post my results on pyrotalk.com. I was so excited I knew 100 % I was in compliance. Everything was all smiles until we sat down and the first thing out of his mouth was bad news. HE didn't want me to have this.

PyroManiacs
03-27-2015, 12:15 AM
You really should...stand your ground

No doubt!!

CTPYRO
03-27-2015, 10:39 AM
I'm still confused as to " he didn't want you to have it " talk. You have storage... you are not a felon.... your in good standing. Maybe you gave them a reason such as you never have been around 1.3 or ever fired a shell which in reality should not matter because again this permit revolves only around being able to purchase nothing more. This still puzzles me

davidlynch
03-27-2015, 11:43 AM
it's a "shall issue" license. he could not have denied, he just bullied you into withdrawing.

don't get frustrated, but i would guess that you're back to square one now. reapply immediately, and STAND YOUR GROUND.

pyrorick
03-28-2015, 09:26 PM
I'd look at this as temporary. The best thing you can do is have the AHJ on your side. If you plan to get your FPO anyhow, I'd just wait to get it and then re-apply. That will show him that you respected his decision/thought. Otherwise you may not be seen in the most favorable light.

BTW, I do know of at least one guy without an FPO and has his 54. But he is a builder and knows as much as any shooter about fireworks. So it can happen....but each AHJ has their own personality....some better than others.

PAT (Pyrotechnic Artists or Texas) will be having an event in the DFW area in May that will get you some training and a sign off....not to mention meeting a buch of fellow Texas enthusiasts. I *might* have a show in May (central Texas) that could get you a sign off too.

PM me for info on PAT.

BTW, I'm in the Dallas area.