PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Las Vegas

vegassalute
03-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Hey Guys:
I'm a pyro hobbyist living in Las Vegas. I was born & raised in upstate, NY but moved here for my job a little over a year ago. I've seen where some of you from CA have come to central Nevada for shoots, wondering if there are any shoots that are coming up this year. Take care, hope to meet some of you!

PJ

PyroManiacs
03-27-2015, 12:12 AM
Welcome to PyroTalk!

vegassalute
03-27-2015, 12:27 AM
Thank you Maniac!

displayfireworks1
03-28-2015, 09:58 PM
I sent my pyro friend in Las Vegas an email. I am going to see if it Ok for me to introduce you to him. He is pretty involved in lots of professional pyro stuff in Las Vegas. I still have your email, when I hear from him I will let you know.

vegassalute
03-28-2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks Dave!

displayfireworks1
03-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Check your email, he is going to try to get you in a Pyrotecnico class in Las Vegas and possible have you assist him on some displays. He is experienced with flame effects, stage pyro etc. He tells me stories to make me jealous all the time. Your going to Hollywood baby! Well, actually your not going to Hollywood, you probably help him carry some stuff but feel like your in Hollywood. LOL
The part he and I disagree on, he is telling me the ATF and the state of Nevada frown upon recreational use of 1.3 fireworks. Surprisingly there are only a handful of fireworks ATF license in that state. My guess is they are not denying applications they are using the convince you to withdraw the application tactic. That is for another time, I would take advantage of this opportunity to see how you like pro fireworks. Keep us updated.

vegassalute
03-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Will do Dave, thank you so much for making the intros! I will definitely keep the group posted!

PyroJoeNEPA
03-29-2015, 02:55 PM
I hope your first gig is not wiring comet chases off of the top of the Stratosphere or the Luxor!! Great town to cut your "Pyro Chops" in. Best wishes on the new location & pyro gig!!!

vegassalute
03-29-2015, 05:50 PM
Good Lord PyroJoe, I'd be hugging the railing too afraid to move! I'll take the analogy from one of the old Sopranos episodes - the new guy is probably the "low man" and gets the hazing jobs. Just the thought of being @ top of the Strat makes my palms sweat!

Niceshellsdude
03-29-2015, 10:21 PM
I used to live in Vegas until I moved back here about four years ago. Are familiar with MOAPA valley?

vegassalute
03-29-2015, 10:30 PM
Niceshellsdude - Yes vaguely. Is that the reservation with the shooting site? Did you used to go there? What did you think?

Niceshellsdude
03-29-2015, 11:12 PM
Yes. Its on 15 North out of town, right before you turn off before Valley of Fire. That place is the best for July 4th. Absolutely wild. You can buy whatever you want in the store and just walk out and shoot it. I would just go up and park my truck and watch everyone shoot. The only problem is the fireworks prices are full retail. The cool thing is, since your on an Indian Reservation, "none of the white mans laws" apply. There are no permits and no bullshit paperwork. The MOAPA tribe also has a full 1.3 display on the 3rd or 4th on the same shoot site. I'd recommend it. If you buy a lot of fireworks, Id recommend Red Apple in Pahrump as they are the only place which sells by the case in the entire valley. Black Jack and Area 51 fireworks offer pretty good selection as been there a bunch of times too.

vegassalute
03-30-2015, 01:44 AM
Thanks Niceshelldude. Is it bad form to fire purchases made at Pahrump on the Moapa shoot site? Of course I would also patronize the Moapa store as well. I don't feel good about bringing leftover 1.4 back to Vegas. I've heard Clark County officials set up random checkpoints DWI style looking for Fireworks that cross the county line and the last thing I want to do is inadvertently break the law. I was thinking I could make purchases at the stores in Pharump, and then purchase at Moapa and then head to the shoot site to fire all of the above. I'm actually thinking about doing it next Saturday night as a "date night" for my wife and I. Also did you find fellow shooters at the Moapa site to be responsible and safe? I love that it is a public shoot site so close by but I don't like when irresponsible people who don't have respect and understanding of our hobby shoot irresponsibly. Your thoughts

Niceshellsdude
03-30-2015, 07:36 PM
You could buy in Pahrump. That's no problem. No really checks to see where you purchased from. The only time police are actively checking for fireworks is one or two days before the 4th. At this time of year, there are few people shooting fireworks at MOAPA. On the 4th, it was hundreds of people. They've made the shooting area bigger over the last five years Im told. So, you can spread out and have your own area to shoot.

PGH_Pyro
03-30-2015, 08:28 PM
I was in Pahrump, once . I didn't see any of the fireworks shops but when I was in the desert (Death Valley) one of the first thoughts I had was "wow, this would be a great location for fireworks." Wide open expansive desert . Love that part of the country .
Gotta get back over there, stat .