PDA

View Full Version : Light three

displayfireworks1
03-10-2015, 07:33 PM
It looks like reloadable artillery shells to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow1zVR8Ny1g

PyroManiacs
03-10-2015, 07:57 PM
What did he think was gonna happen... dummy!

wizard7611
03-11-2015, 04:16 AM
Ugh, more irresponsible individuals handling fireworks in the United States.

chriskrc
03-11-2015, 07:51 AM
And that's the thing we are up against when it comes to fireworks. The anti fireworks groups see this and have ammunition for trying to ban everything. Irresponsible people make it even harder for all of us. This is one reason it's taken so long for us in N.Y. to get at least where we are.

displayfireworks1
03-11-2015, 10:00 AM
This has nothing to do with the anti-fireworks groups. This has to do with the design of the product and how it is perceived and used by someone that is a inexperienced user of fireworks. I would speculate to say he saw the long fuse supplied with the artillery shell and felt he had plenty of time to light them all. The more I watch it, he may have also loaded one in upside down. I have seen this too many times when two mistake occur. If you ever read the instructions that are supplied with artillery shells, there are not adequate.
A major player in the business told me "You can not regulate foolishness". Using this video as an example, while the scene sounds chaotic, he does not appear to be acting foolish, he is trying to light fireworks. He probably should not have done more than one of course. He was not educated on the behavior of the product. Now that he knows how all of this works, he may not try that multi light technique again. If there is no education on the product we have to learn from someone else or learn the hard way.
http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/images/research-and-reports/report-graphics/2012fireworksinjuries.jpg?la=en

chriskrc
03-11-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm not saying that the anti's are the cause of this issue, I'm just saying they see this video and use it to promote there agenda more. He truly is only just trying to light fireworks and maybe the shell is upside down. This is the learning experience for people at times and really that's not how we want people to learn. It's just the anti's only see what happened as a bad thing and they look at nothing else.

wizard7611
03-11-2015, 04:38 PM
24% sparklers? How does that happen?

wizard7611
03-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Never mind. 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit should do the trick.

displayfireworks1
03-11-2015, 06:55 PM
When I look at the injury statistics for Consumer Fireworks, sparklers seem to always be on top of the list. However the statistics do not further define the severity of the injury. You may get a severe burn with a Sparkler but chances are you will not die. What worries me is the reloadable shell is high on the list. When things go wrong with an artillery shell you may get more than a severe burn.
I always tell people, of all the fireworks available throughout the world to users of consumer fireworks, the reloadable artillery shell may be unique to United States. Other countries forbid their sale. My research is, other countries require the shell and mortar to be one continuous unit. A single use item. Last I talked with some of the larger players in the business they recognize the issue. I do not see a solution on the horizon. The AFSL is working to strengthen the mortar requirements, is that enough?

Melp
03-11-2015, 07:17 PM
After watching it serval times you also notice that he puts his hand over the top of the tube as he is lighting the last one

N3OQO
03-11-2015, 08:15 PM
The instructions need to be clearer for sure with mortars and fireworks, and I hate to say this, people are stupid in general. We have a court system that will support a law suit over spilled hot coffee in a restaurant. The media tells the public fireworks are dangerous. Well yea, if you are stupid with them then they can be. Consumer fireworks are safer today than ever, unless you are fundamentally stupid, and no amount of warnings are going to cure that.

Northern Sky
03-11-2015, 10:49 PM
After watching it several times you also notice that he puts his hand over the top of the tube as he is lighting the last one

Hey, good pick up on that. Maybe the last one had a quick match leader on it and he covered the muzzle of the mortar as it went off. Some 1.3 salutes come that way.

chriskrc
03-12-2015, 08:00 AM
I watched it again and you are right melp he puts his hand over the top. Now that's where I say there is some irresponsible action. Think about it common sense you wouldn't put your hand over the end of a gun barrel and pull the trigger after it's cocked and loaded, a mortar is the same thing a loaded gun.

Shootingstar_pyro86
03-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Well that is one way of weeding out the gene pool.