PDA

View Full Version : Reload time

PhilK33
03-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Kind of a second part to my question regarding opinion on hdpe or fiberglass mortars. How much time would you allow in between reloading both hdpe and fiberglass mortars to decrease risk of a blowout. Reason being is that I will have way more shells than mortars to eliminate not having to reload a few guns. Appreciate all the input. Still a little green yet. Learning the ins and outs

PyroManiacs
03-04-2015, 02:42 AM
I hope if your talking about reloading that its only 1.75".

2" and up.... dont even bother. I dont know anyone who reloads during a show anymore. Its dangerous.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-04-2015, 12:10 PM
I hope if your talking about reloading that its only 1.75".

2" and up.... dont even bother. I dont know anyone who reloads during a show anymore. Its dangerous.

OP said he was getting some 4" & 6" shells from Kellners----Last thing I would want to do is drop a shell down in a tube that might have a smoldering lift cup in it. Things can go real bad real fast. I couldn't tell you haw many years it has been since I saw anyone working out of a ready box & reloading during a show. So I can't answer that question for you--besides, I [we} efire everything.
If anyone on here is still reloading [I'm sure someone somewhere still is] I'm sure they will jump in & answer your question. Personally, I'd build up your mortar count & then buy shells to fit what I have--or see if you can borrow some guns from someone.
That is another good reason to be in a pyro club--lots of equipment access from good people.
Check with Al at FireArt--their prices on Fiberglass guns is lower than Kellners.

FYI--In the "old days" the person or persons lighting the shells were NOT the people dropping shells. Shells would be kept in a wood "ready box" under a tarp to protect the shells from falling burning debris--the person working the ready box would take the shell up to the mortar line & drop the shell in the gun then go back for another shell--working down the mortar line well away from the shooter. Great job walking around a hot firing zone carrying shells in your hands.....not!!!

In your post you said that you were "still a little green yet". If that is the case, I would advise you to forget about the 4" & 6" shells for now until you have had some experience working with someone that can mentor you in the safety and other aspects of bigger shells. Just because you may be able to buy it doesn't mean that you should.
Start out small & stay alive. I don't want to sound like I am busting on you, but mistakes in this hobby can kill you.

Engalwood
03-04-2015, 02:25 PM
op said he was getting some 4" & 6" shells from kellners----last thing i would want to do is drop a shell down in a tube that might have a smoldering lift cup in it. Things can go real bad real fast. I couldn't tell you haw many years it has been since i saw anyone working out of a ready box & reloading during a show. So i can't answer that question for you--besides, i [we} efire everything.
If anyone on here is still reloading [i'm sure someone somewhere still is] i'm sure they will jump in & answer your question. Personally, i'd build up your mortar count & then buy shells to fit what i have--or see if you can borrow some guns from someone.
That is another good reason to be in a pyro club--lots of equipment access from good people.
Check with al at fireart--their prices on fiberglass guns is lower than kellners.

Fyi--in the "old days" the person or persons lighting the shells were not the people dropping shells. Shells would be kept in a wood "ready box" under a tarp to protect the shells from falling burning debris--the person working the ready box would take the shell up to the mortar line & drop the shell in the gun then go back for another shell--working down the mortar line well away from the shooter. Great job walking around a hot firing zone carrying shells in your hands.....not!!!

In your post you said that you were "still a little green yet". If that is the case, i would advise you to forget about the 4" & 6" shells for now until you have had some experience working with someone that can mentor you in the safety and other aspects of bigger shells. Just because you may be able to buy it doesn't mean that you should.
Start out small & stay alive. I don't want to sound like i am busting on you, but mistakes in this hobby can kill you.

well said!

mguerra
03-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Don't reload.

Shoot as many shells as you have mortars, and get as many mortars as you can. As said, there is a serious safety concern with reloading. It also totally screws up the pace and timing of your show and makes you look like a rookie. If you are shooting for your own pleasure, or testing, you can do it if you observe certain safety procedures. For an audience, don't. Besides the safety concern, I once had a spectator come up to me and tell me to my face my show was sad due to the reloading. It was my first show, and I thought I was real smart with my pre-prepared 10 shot reload strings I spent hours tying together. That spectator slapped me down and I later learned it wasn't too safe anyway.

Don't reload.

PhilK33
03-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Let me better clarify my situation. I have 24 4"inch guns and 4 6inch guns. I will have ordered a case of 36 fours and 8 sixes. I am not concerned about the pace of my show. I light stuff off leisurely when it comes to shells. Yes I am going to get more mortars. I just wanted some feedback regarding reloading . I have shot 3 small shows and have used 4s and 6s. But never had more shells than guns. I am a backyard hobbyist so yes I will always consider myself "green" and look to advanced pyrotecnicians for advice .

displayfireworks1
03-04-2015, 08:48 PM
By helping many people get an ATF Fireworks license I see some of the secondary problems or events that occur when shows and budgets increase. For example in one of my videos "2014 Fireworks with Rick" his budget approached ten thousand dollars. Before I arrived on the property I knew he was going to have many cakes. I could predict that with any privately held ATF license person. We just do not have that many racks. Even when our budget increases we can only shoot as many shells as we have racks. As the budget increases, this is what separates us from professional display companies. The professional companies have strived for one shell per mortar in a display. It was not always this way. Reloading was very common at one time, this was at a time when each shell was savored one at a time. Now the term reloading sounds like some impossible dangerous task. I will admit I reloaded shells in the past. I have gone as high as 8 inch shells on reloads. For me it was scary and enjoyable at the same time. If you decide to go this route you have to slow things down and add more help. Some of the 1.3 fireworks distributors that advertise with me will rent fireworks racks when you purchase 1.3 product.
I have a video about reloading display fireworks, it is one of my unlisted videos that only plays on pyrotalk. It may be difficult to watch. If you want to see it you can search it out on this page.
http://pyrotalk.com/professional-fireworks-displays.php
I do not necessarily agree that reloading fireworks should be a long forgotten old practice. Remember, there still are reloadable shells for sale in the consumer market. How can it be good enough for them and not us.

matandch
03-04-2015, 10:28 PM
I have also seen a show where 8" shells were reloaded. Just sayin'.

I agree with Dave that that reloading fireworks should not be a long forgotten old practice- just so as proper safety procedures are followed.

It is sad that hand lit shows are fast becoming a dying art in general with the recent upswing in high tech electronic firing systems. I think that there is a no better fireworks rush that being in the thick of a hand lit show "on the B line".

PyroManiacs
03-05-2015, 12:21 AM
It is sad that hand lit shows are fast becoming a dying art in general with the recent upswing in high tech electronic firing systems. I think that there is a no better fireworks rush that being in the thick of a hand lit show "on the B line".

In the last few years Ive been doing pro shows... mass majority have been hand-fired... I think I get those shows because our manager knows I love em'. Yea buddy!

Westpapyro
03-05-2015, 01:06 AM
At some club shoots I go on, we reload shells a bunch of times, just using the proper precautions and time. For my consumer shows, na. Just get more racks.

Jred201
03-05-2015, 05:22 AM
I reloaded shells for years before investing in a firing system. I suggest you have a lot of people with ready boxes. To do it safely it will be about a minute a tube, maybe 30 seconds. I always used my garbage grabber tool to get the cup out. Then I pulled the gun out of the rack and tipped it upside down to make sure there was nothing smoldering in there. Get a firing system. This stuff will easily kill you and it is worth it. Plus you can sit back and enjoy your show.

Fire Art
03-05-2015, 03:52 PM
I know a couple people that reload during their professional shows and frankly it scares me. Leisurely reloading as a backyard hobbyist or during a club shoot is different. No matter what you do safety of yourself, your team, and your spectators is paramount. If you must reload allow for at least 30-60 sec for cool down and use a clear stick. Don't put anything over the pipe that you don't mind losing, hands...face..etc. We have some very reasonably priced racks here, come get a few and you won't have to worry about reloading, lol.

Have fun and stay safe.

SCPyrotechnician
03-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Kind of a second part to my question regarding opinion on hdpe or fiberglass mortars. How much time would you allow in between reloading both hdpe and fiberglass mortars to decrease risk of a blowout. Reason being is that I will have way more shells than mortars to eliminate not having to reload a few guns. Appreciate all the input. Still a little green yet. Learning the ins and outs

If you can find someone that can make you some steel mortars, that would be the way to go. That's how they did it back in the day, and that would be the safest way to do it, in my opinion.