PDA

View Full Version : The Crowd Was Cheering And The Horses Were Whinnying

cracker
02-26-2015, 02:03 AM
Yup, sad to say, a show I was partly involved with caused a horse to bolt, hang itself on a fence, and then had to be put down.

But let’s back that up a little -- I was asked to come back to an annual private New Year’s party at a ranch, and help shoot some 1.4 items. Normally I would shoot a professional show; but my friend, who owned the ranch, wanted me to help him with his show. I obliged.

This property mind you, was more like a compound with a copious amount of land attached to it. On one side was a neighbor with horses and cattle. On the other side was a neighbor with a somewhat extensive horse ranch.

I drove the three hours to the ranch. My friend's set-up was weird. He wanted to light one fuse, and stand back and watch the whole show happen. I locked horns with him over that very issue as I am using a wireless firing system and would never shoot a show like that – I would rather hand fire. Keep in mind; this is not my first Rodeo, or his.

We decided to agree to disagree - after all it was his property and his show, I had my canister shells and he had his shells, and cakes. We would shoot our own pyro items.

He lit the Green Visco fuse, which was attached to various pink and green Visco fuses - daisy chained like nothing I have ever seen - we stood back. It almost immediately went up like a pinko book-burning bonfire: a 3 min. finale consisting of a combination of fountains, various cakes, and shells.

I, using my wireless firing system, sent up Excaliburs intermittently when I felt the need, followed by some daisy chains that I personally made. What a sight to be seen. The crowd was cheering, and the horses were whinnying.

The party was impressed -- while I was disappointed with the timing and lack of safety on my friend's part. But the show was over and close to one thousand dollars had been spent. And the cows mooed and the horses whinnied.

Unfortunately, one of the party-goers’ Pitt Bull broke his leash, and ran off, through neighboring stalls and pastures, and into the nearby mountains.

Days later, I spoke with my friend over the phone, and he had told me that there was another, rather more pressing, incident during the show. One of the neighboring ranch’s horse spooked while the owner was out of town. The horse was improperly tied by a caretaker to a fence which resulted in the horse hanging itself by the leg and laming itself.

The ranch owner was forced to personally put the animal down. The dog? He was later found after he recognized the sound of his master’s Harley while he was riding around looking for him, and the Pitt came running back.

While that show amounted to nothing more than a $1000 3-4 minute consumer-grade finale, it must have been on hell of a finale. I’m done with consumer shows -- I’m sticking with the pros.

displayfireworks1
02-26-2015, 10:03 AM
Neighbors that complain about firework usually have animals that do not respond well to the noise. I heard these complaints a few times over the year, one involved horses. If you try to warn these people you are shooting fireworks you risk them saying no or calling someone to stop you. When shooting professional displays , it is usually the same display every year at the exact same time every year at the same location. People with animals can prepare for it. A private display not so much with the predictability.
A person I helped get an ATF license reported to me they set off a private massive 1.3 display on a farm property in a town that never had a fireworks display. Toward the end of the display, all these police cars show up, they reported they were getting calls some sort of an industrial accident must be occurring with all the noise. If I predict there will be trouble like this I will not fire a single item until shoot time, then at shoot time , go for it and get it done in a short period of time. If the complaints come in, they will be relieved it is over.

N3OQO
02-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Courtesy and common sense go a very long way in this hobby. The backyards here run into each other for hundreds of feet, and in the summer evenings everyone is out. I've even yelled "Who's up for some firecrackers?" and usually get a cheer and a "Hell yea!" Getting along with the neighbors is key to not having trouble, and keeping to the holiday hours be they official or not helps.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-26-2015, 10:58 AM
A friend of mine that does a large 1.3/1.4 show every year has an issue every year with one property owner that has horses & shares a property line. Permit is pulled for the show every year & all the neighbors in the area are notified. This one particular person is the "ex" of the property owners sister--and complains every year. He has gone so far as to petition the Township to ban all fireworks displays in the Township.
The "Powers that be" know it is a personal vendetta & will not pursue the issue.

On another point--when I do my show [1.3/1.4] every year to get my permit they require three things from me: 1. Have the Fire Dept truck on site. My neighbor down the road is the Fire Chief & LOVES fireworks so that is a no brainer! 2. Notify the Township police of date, time, & location. 3. Notify the State Police of date, time, & location. That eliminates wasting manpower on a police "roll out" if anyone ever did call into the police or 911.

That is a real shame about the horse---but it seems like the fault lies with the handler for not having the animal tethered properly.

We have had people that wanted to have commercial shows in small communities that were afraid "it would upset the cows". No offense to any "cow lovers" [ i love a good steak like anyone else] , but cows are dumb---they don't stampede with a little --or a big--boom.
Dave--do you remember the 35th anniversary CrackerJacks shoot in VA? They were shooting off those HUGE daytime aerial salutes & the cows in the adjacent field were jut standing around like nothing was going on!

PGH_Pyro
02-27-2015, 12:14 PM
i hear llamas flip out when pyro is going off anywhere nearby

Northern Sky
02-27-2015, 12:52 PM
On another point--when I do my show [1.3/1.4] every year to get my permit they require three things from me: 1. Have the Fire Dept truck on site. My neighbor down the road is the Fire Chief & LOVES fireworks so that is a no brainer! 2. Notify the Township police of date, time, & location. 3. Notify the State Police of date, time, & location. That eliminates wasting manpower on a police "roll out" if anyone ever did call into the police or 911.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
This is the answer.

Pull a permit. Notify the proper authorities and notify the neighbors to be neighborly so they can take proper actions of their own. If a permit has been pulled your bases are covered, period.

I am not a horse owner but my neighbor has several along with other animals and we get along just fine. The horses are put in their stalls and everyone stays clear of the barn or pasture they are in. As far as a caretaker not securing a horse; come on man that's pretty weak to say. Why on earth would a caretaker know that Armageddon was going to take place. I'd be pissed too.

Pyro k
02-27-2015, 12:58 PM
@PyrojoeNEPA
Exactly what I do every year! My township actually requires you call local police and let them know about your shoot. Last year was my first 1.3 show and I talked to the fire chief about getting a fire truck involved, they were more than happy to show up that night. I expected maybe 2 fireman to show up but they brought the whole calvary lol, they were just exited to be there! I invite all the neighbors or let them know that I have a permit to do such. My main point is, after all said and done, all the preparation, they informed me that there was still over 50 complaints from people. Some people need to get a life!

Fire Art
02-27-2015, 02:05 PM
i hear llamas flip out when pyro is going off anywhere nearby

That's a somewhat sore point with some. And for those that don't know this, llamas are "exotic" animals according to insurers and are not covered.

jknepp1954
02-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Not going to add anymore thoughts.
Quite interesting and entertaining story though!

Llamas?! - my neighbor had 2 - between he and I - enough fireworks went up - never bothered them.

cracker
02-28-2015, 01:46 AM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
This is the answer.

Pull a permit. Notify the proper authorities and notify the neighbors to be neighborly so they can take proper actions of their own. If a permit has been pulled your bases are covered, period.

I am not a horse owner but my neighbor has several along with other animals and we get along just fine. The horses are put in their stalls and everyone stays clear of the barn or pasture they are in. As far as a caretaker not securing a horse; come on man that's pretty weak to say. Why on earth would a caretaker know that Armageddon was going to take place. I'd be pissed too.

a) You don't know all of the facts, unfortunately.

b) Apparently You didn't catch the "annual" part of the story, the neighbors got the memo a long time ago.

c) The care taker was mostly to blame due to his negligence per the owner's OWN words, as he owns around 25 horses and only 1 wasn't properly stalled. Not weak to say as you say.

d) It's not my show - I normally shoot displays in other parts of the state on NY and other holidays - not my call.

e) I did express concern over the horses, but still had fun.

f) You are not qualified to judge and lecture me.

Northern Sky
02-28-2015, 06:44 PM
spare me You are spared "Crack".

a) You don't know all of the facts, unfortunately.
Correct I don't know the all the facts, only what you provided.

b) Apparently You didn't catch the "annual" part of the story, the neighbors got the memo a long time ago.
There was no mention of a memo or yearly fireworks just an annual party.

c) The care taker was mostly to blame due to his negligence per the owner's OWN words, as he owns around 25 horses and only 1 wasn't properly stalled. Not weak to say as you say.
Weak, Not Weak" not my call who cares, as long as you are not to blame right.

d) It's not my show - I normally shoot displays in other parts of the state on NY and other holidays - not my call.
Agreed not your show. Not your neighbor. Not your problem. If that works for you.

e) I did express concern over the horses, but still had fun.
"And the cows mooed and the horses whinnied". I feel your concern here "Crack". Glad you had fun. That is what this hobby is about.

f) You are not qualified to judge and lecture me.

My post wasn't meant to judge or lecture to you. What would qualify me, not that I seek validation by the way? A few of my credentials are listed in my signature and I too shoot professionally by the way. Not that that means anything. I have worked with "professionals" that I wouldn't pay to carry my tools. You posted a story looking for notoriety and comment you got it. Actually, it is was one of the better written stories I have read lately, not to mention it was about fireworks. Except for the horses part, it was entertaining. Props for that.

Isn't this site to learn/share about the joy of fireworks and creative, safe, legal uses of them or, it is just to pat people on the back and ooh and aah at the pretty colors?

Thankfully, lessons were learned.

Sorry if feeling were hurt. Hopefully the owner of the site won't be "forced to personally put anyone down".

cracker
03-06-2015, 02:04 AM
spare me You are spared "Crack".

My post wasn't meant to judge or lecture to you. What would qualify me, not that I seek validation by the way? A few of my credentials are listed in my signature and I too shoot professionally by the way. Not that that means anything. I have worked with "professionals" that I wouldn't pay to carry my tools. You posted a story looking for notoriety and comment you got it. Actually, it is was one of the better written stories I have read lately, not to mention it was about fireworks. Except for the horses part, it was entertaining. Props for that.

Isn't this site to learn/share about the joy of fireworks and creative, safe, legal uses of them or, it is just to pat people on the back and ooh and aah at the pretty colors?

Thankfully, lessons were learned.

Sorry if feeling were hurt. Hopefully the owner of the site won't be "forced to personally put anyone down".

No worries. Peace. I normally do professional shows, but decided to help a friend with his "back yard show" as a favor.

like I said, I expressed concern over all of the horses on the neighboring properties, and was basically told its nothing to worry about, as if I didn't know what I was talking about -- I cant really blame myself. The owners knew, and there has never been any incidents in the past. Also, the animals aren't the only things we locked horns over, but now my friend has to eat his own words.

At the end of the day, though, it was this particular friend that got me out of the backyard, introduced me to the right people, and got me out at the Baseball stadiums shooting the really good stuff.

My point of the original post was not to point any fingers - I especially don't like them pointed at me when I did what I could and everything was supposed to be in order - but more to reflect on a past show where my advice was ignored and partly resulted in an animal being put down, again, the owner did fault his hired help for that night. Whos to say?

Like I said; I'm sticking with pro shows, I'm done with consumer shows.

Cheers!

cracker
03-06-2015, 02:19 AM
[QUOTE=displayfireworks1;28240]Neighbors that complain about firework usually have animals that do not respond well to the noise. I heard these complaints a few times over the year, one involved horses. If you try to warn these people you are shooting fireworks you risk them saying no or calling someone to stop you. When shooting professional displays , it is usually the same display every year at the exact same time every year at the same location. People with animals can prepare for it. A private display not so much with the predictability.
A person I helped get an ATF license reported to me they set off a private massive 1.3 display on a farm property in a town that never had a fireworks display. Toward the end of the display, all these police cars show up, they reported they were getting calls some sort of an industrial accident must be occurring with all the noise. If I predict there will be trouble like this I will not fire a single item until shoot time, then at shoot time , go for it and get it done in a short period of time. If the complaints come in, they will be relieved it is over.[

They do this show every year for New Years, and everything was supposed to be in order. I guess mistakes and accidents can happen. The owner did fault his care-taker for not putting the horse in the barn like he was supposed to, but I still don't want to have my name involved in any shows where animals (or people) get hurt, so I'm not doing those NY shows anymore, even if the neighbors are notified and permits are in order. Just too many animals on both sides of that property.

But like I said to Northern Lights, my point of the post was not to point fingers, just to reflect on a show when people should have listened to me. And I unfortunately was proven right. I'm not sure if there are going to be any future shows now, but I wont be there. Still though, it was a fun night.