View Full Version : P1200 firing system???

N3OQO
02-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Anyone that has used the P1200 from Pyroboom have any pros or cons they wish to share? I used it's little brother, a 12 cue last year and it worked very well, other than lighted buttons would be a huge improvement. I don't see anywhere that the 1200 has lighted buttons either.

I want to take anything I do this year to the next level. I've gotten very creative with fuse timing my shows and working with 12 cues, but if I make this upgrade this year the way I'm thinking, I'll have 36 to work with along side my fusing techniques. Yes, a Cobra would be sweet, but I am semi-retired and my playboy millionaire retirement fund ended up short. :(

Westpapyro
02-23-2015, 09:29 PM
One thing nice about a Cobra is you own a small system and have some friends in the area let you borrow there mods to make a big system! I only have 4, but unless it's on the fourth I coul easily borrow 20 to 50 extra mods. It's nice to have pyro friends! All real good people too.

N3OQO
02-23-2015, 09:39 PM
HEH....having pyro friends is good indeed, but they tend to get greedy on the 4th. :p

RetroPyro101
02-23-2015, 09:52 PM
The Cobra is awesome even tho i never even used it before. I have a simple 12que system. I just hate how expensive the Cobra is. its just way too expensive. $200 for the manual remote and $350 for the scripted and $300 for the actual module and $100 for each Armored Case. Are u kidding me!! that much for something so simple that just works on radio waves. My $60 Chinese system does basically the same thing just not as fancy and not as many cues. Its like we gotta pay for the way it looks. I see all the people on YouTube and there like ya heres my new Cobra firing system the 18R2 remote and 2 modules, im like HOW!!

Westpapyro
02-23-2015, 10:03 PM
Indeed it is an investment, but you will be hard pressed to find someone that after owning it is disappointed or thought it was a bad investment!

Back to original question, give Eric a call at Pyroboom and talk it over with him. I've talked to him and I don think he'ed steer you wrong. I won my 18R2 from a contest on his website!

Pyro Nation
02-24-2015, 06:14 AM
the 1200 is a great start system that can grow

PyroJoeNEPA
02-24-2015, 09:16 AM
I purchased one a couple years ago from a different vendor. Same exact unit that Eric at PyroBoom has. The only time it let me down was shortly after I had purchased it & did not put fresh batteries in everything before a club shoot: One thing I learned after that is you can have continuity on your 4 channel modules but not enough signal strength to fire them if the batteries are weak. FWIW--one of my pyro buddies got his Cobra out so we could fire the product since it was all ematched. Pyroliffic remembers that day.
It is a good starter system, but limited compared to what the Cobra can do. You are not just paying for a "so simple" system like Retro commented on--there is a lot of engineering & QC that goes into Scott's product. Also, the customer service for the Cobra product is second to none. You can't call China for help if there is a malfunction with the 1200 system.
I still have my system but use it rarely. I shoot my own 1.3/1.4 show each year & it is a pyromusical so I can't use it for that. A good friend has the Cobra scripted system and about two dozen modules, so I use that each year. I used 19 mods last year & it went flawless...and like WestPaPyro said there are plenty of great guys out there to borrow modules from if needed.
The 1200 will work well for you and is pretty inexpensive to add ques to---just be diligent on keeping fresh batteries in it.

displayfireworks1
02-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Is this the system you are referencing?
http://www.pyroboom.com/images/products/ControlDesk_1.jpg
I see pyrpboom has a video that explains the system. I have to admit I was not sure how it worked until I watched the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdBJ2A1blf0
Pyroboom is also one of my advertiser that recently had the mortar rack sell. I have one of the modules that would probably work with this system.
http://www.pyroboom.com/images/products/p4_2.jpg
I like the part where you remove the batteries. When in storage or getting ready for a display it is an easy thing to add or remove new batteries.
http://www.pyroboom.com/products.aspx?name=firing

N3OQO
02-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Yes, that's it Dave.

Pyro k
02-24-2015, 03:00 PM
The Cobra is awesome even tho i never even used it before. I have a simple 12que system. I just hate how expensive the Cobra is. its just way too expensive. $200 for the manual remote and $350 for the scripted and $300 for the actual module and $100 for each Armored Case. Are u kidding me!! that much for something so simple that just works on radio waves. My $60 Chinese system does basically the same thing just not as fancy and not as many cues. Its like we gotta pay for the way it looks. I see all the people on YouTube and there like ya heres my new Cobra firing system the 18R2 remote and 2 modules, im like HOW!!
When i handle my cobra, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside ��

N3OQO
02-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Like everything else there will be a knockoff of the Cobra soon enough. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money for it , it is however very sweet. As I said I used the 12 cue version last year using fuse, about 40 cakes, and about 150 shells and made a nice 40 minute show out of it. I certainly like the distance of the 1200, we go to a buddies place each summer that has 3 acres to spread out on. The all fire and sequence firing that can be applied by module is also a very good point in its favor for me. I'm going to assume that once you load batteries in the P4 modules and program them, there is internal memory to hold the programming? Or do you have to program them all at the shoot site? And to be fair, I love the 12 cue I got, works flawless other than lighted buttons when you are firing fireworks at night might be a nice touch. As with any inexpensive foreign product documentation tends to be sparse with poor grammer.....Don't gentle touch after arm....HEH Any pros/cons and tips appreciated, I will likely be buying this unit soon.

displayfireworks1
02-24-2015, 10:39 PM
The word that describes the grammar is Chinglish
http://regretless.com/stuff/funny/chinglish/thundercrap.jpg
Bet that is loud one. LOL

PyroJoeNEPA
02-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Where do you find these pics Dave????? ROFL!

To N30Q0: Like I said in an earlier post, I have the same unit, only a couple years old. The case on the control desk now is much nicer than the unit I got. Another improvement is the "address" or "code" button hole is on the top of the four channel modules. Mine are on the underside & a pain to hold a toothpick in there to program. My control desk, however, has a removable "rubber duckie" style antenna which I prefer over the new model.
To answer your question, once you program the modules they will hold the address code. So you will not need to re address the modules every time you use the system. Also, they will remember the address if you take the batteries out or remove the batteries.
I'm sure you will like the unit.
One thing I would say---I doubt the actual "reliable" distance for the unit is 3000 feet. Not that you would ever be that far away, but you should do a distance check with it on your shoot site to be safe and know you have good signal strength.

N3OQO
02-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Where do you find these pics Dave????? ROFL!

To N30Q0: Like I said in an earlier post, I have the same unit, only a couple years old. The case on the control desk now is much nicer than the unit I got. Another improvement is the "address" or "code" button hole is on the top of the four channel modules. Mine are on the underside & a pain to hold a toothpick in there to program. My control desk, however, has a removable "rubber duckie" style antenna which I prefer over the new model.
To answer your question, once you program the modules they will hold the address code. So you will not need to re address the modules every time you use the system. Also, they will remember the address if you take the batteries out or remove the batteries.
I'm sure you will like the unit.
One thing I would say---I doubt the actual "reliable" distance for the unit is 3000 feet. Not that you would ever be that far away, but you should do a distance check with it on your shoot site to be safe and know you have good signal strength.

Thanks very much Joe!!! You answered my questions very well, thank you. I don't expect to get anywhere near 3000 ft away, 1000 is more than enough and I'm sure it reaches that and then some very comfortably. The module memory was crucial to me, I like to cut down on set up time as much as possible, yet take my time to make sure everything is right.

If it only had lighted buttons it would be the cats ass, but regardless I believe I am getting it.

Bowpro34
03-11-2015, 08:09 PM
I couldn't agree more on the P1200. I got one last year and love it. Just wish we had a handheld light up button Cobra remote knockoff. I would think with a little time and effort we could upgrade a P1200 with light up buttons but I do not have the knowledge or time. I used it for two shows with both e-match and red dragons. Both worked great but i was careful to hold the button just a little longer with the red dragons.

I have been buying "good" modules from PyroBoom and el cheapos from China on eBay. Both work great but PyroBooms are definitely nicer and you can program each cue on its own rather than all 4 in sequence. No problems yet and I do replace the batteries each time. I have a nice stock pile of AA batteries for the family from the ones used in my modules and remote.

I did notice the pricing going up on these. I think last spring mine was $79. Debating on selling it and picking one up with the new case as it looks nicer than the old one.

N3OQO
03-11-2015, 08:47 PM
I couldn't agree more on the P1200. I got one last year and love it. Just wish we had a handheld light up button Cobra remote knockoff. I would think with a little time and effort we could upgrade a P1200 with light up buttons but I do not have the knowledge or time. I used it for two shows with both e-match and red dragons. Both worked great but i was careful to hold the button just a little longer with the red dragons.

I have been buying "good" modules from PyroBoom and el cheapos from China on eBay. Both work great but PyroBooms are definitely nicer and you can program each cue on its own rather than all 4 in sequence. No problems yet and I do replace the batteries each time. I have a nice stock pile of AA batteries for the family from the ones used in my modules and remote.

I did notice the pricing going up on these. I think last spring mine was $79. Debating on selling it and picking one up with the new case as it looks nicer than the old one.

A couple bucks invested in lighted buttons would take it over the top for the average backyard pyro. We do set this stuff off at night for the most part. I'd love a cobra for that reason, but out of my budget.

Westpapyro
03-11-2015, 10:56 PM
Pm sent to you.

Bowpro34
03-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Imagine a stripped down budget version of the Cobra. As of now the Cobra appeals to all of us but only a very small subsection of the fireworks enthusiasts spend the dough. I keep hoping that they will come out with some new amazing system and I can buy the old one cheap LOL. I would think some hybrid between the P1200 and Cobra would fill a void in the market and appeal to a much larger segment of the community. I would imagine at a price point in between the two they wouldn't even be able to manufacture them fast enough (which would probably raise the price back to its current position). D'oh!

PyroJoeNEPA
03-12-2015, 10:15 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fWuv62keL._SY445_.jpgOur local "Dollar Tree' store sells these for $1.00 Can clip onto the lid-one on each side-and give you all the light you need. They use the little 357 hearing aid batteries [also sold at the Dollar Tree}.

Bowpro34
03-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Nice PyroJoe - that's EXACTLY what i'm using now. functions 100% (just lacks the COOL factor).

I come from a marketing background and just cannot help but imagine the extreme demand for an in between system. For now though, I'm satisfied with my P1200 and can't justify the money yet to jump to Cobra however I get closer and closer every day. Those guys really have it figured out

N3OQO
03-12-2015, 12:39 PM
My big show last year, I used the 12 cue little brother of the 1200. I had a flash light handy and missed one cue in the height of the show. I fired it at the end and no one but me knew I missed it. Point I was trying to make and wasn't clear enough about is.....Lighted buttons that go out after you fire that cue. But I will get a small light after I get the 1200 and deal with it.