PDA

View Full Version : Firework insurance.

Shootingstar_pyro86
02-22-2015, 02:21 PM
So something that does not get talked alot about on this site is firework insurance. This is new to me. How does it work? Do you pay a monthly payment, is it per show? Any and all help is need it. Thanks

Tommy

Type 33
Delaware cert

Pyro k
02-23-2015, 08:44 AM
I shoot on my own property so i carry a million dollar liability policy under my home owners insurance to be compliant with my township to recieve my permits. I dont have much experience shooting off my property. Maybe one of the other members can help out with that one?

mguerra
02-23-2015, 01:25 PM
This is a serious problem for the hobbyist. If you think you have a way to shoot 1.3 product without insurance, lucky you. By my reading of Texas law, a hobbyist does not need insurance to shoot 1.3G fireworks. However, I am not willing to do it without insurance since my shows are done on someone elses private property. A typical policy is $5,000.00/ year. Ouch. Or $1,800.00 per show. Ouch yet again. The way I work it is to shoot my shows for my family as lead shooter for a pyro company I buy product from. They sell me the product, charge a 13% fee of product price for insurance, they get the permit, and I shoot the show as lead shooter with my state license. My own ATF license is completely unecessary since I am shooting under their license. So the pyro company gets the product sale and some of their insurance reimbursed by me, the customer. Although I am not in the business, they know if they ever get jammed up and need a licensed lead shooter on site for one of their shows, they can call me and I'll probably do it. So we have a friendly relationship.

Northern Sky
02-23-2015, 02:49 PM
This is a serious problem for the hobbyist. If you think you have a way to shoot 1.3 product without insurance, lucky you.

This is a pretty common practice. Many companies/people do this.

Another option it to join a club and work it through with them.

jknepp1954
02-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Being Delaware is one of the 3 last hold out states of any type of fireworks, I have no idea of how that works.
I would contact Debbie Merlino of Combined Specialties - she is one of the advertisers on here.
Or join a club - and go to their activities worry free as THEY have the insurance necessary at their club functions.

Shootingstar_pyro86
02-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Well I'm trying to move from the hobbyist to the starting my own display company. This seems to be the hard part of doing so.

mguerra
02-26-2015, 11:17 AM
Cost of doing business. Every business has some insurance expenses. Good luck with your new endeavor.

Shootingstar_pyro86
02-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Yea its just finding out how it works and changing things when you go into other states to do a show.