PDA

View Full Version : Type 54 Interview

Jake-Pa
02-19-2015, 03:51 PM
I sent my application in aboout 2 weeks ago and received a phone call today to set up my interview. I was wondering if you guys could give me any insight as to what all the interview is about and what else they do. Thanks in advance!

CTPYRO
02-19-2015, 04:58 PM
You live in a friendly state to shoot 1.3 that's for sure. They will go over the storage process and also will ask where you plan on discharging your product ( shooting it ). Record keeping is a big part of it because now your getting into 1.3 and you do not want to have this kind of material not being documented. The orange book will be giving to you, but a good idea to read through it online. I actually got another one from the ATF about a week ago so now I have two copies. Keep in mind the 54 only allows you to purchase and store as it's not free reign to blast off salutes,ect. Now the regs in Pa im sure are quite different then most states when it comes to discharging 1.3... Townships vary in PA from what I've been told but I'm not an expert in that area in regards to permits from TWP's. This is basic but somethings they will ask. Look at it as a formal interview though... but be relaxed.. lol
Scott

Jake-Pa
02-19-2015, 05:18 PM
I guess one other question I have is do they go over your house with a fine tooth comb? My friend told me they do but I'm never sure if he's lying or not lol

CTPYRO
02-19-2015, 05:39 PM
I've never heard of an ATF investigator doing something like that because it's just the interview process. On an inspection I would guess they could check a garage or storage shed I suppose. My inspector did nothing like that. We sat at the kitchen table and went over all the paperwork and checkoff list's. But yea you do not want to be storing 1.3 on your property unless you have an ATF approved mag or job box

Jake-Pa
02-19-2015, 05:51 PM
I have no intention of storing anything at my house which is why I figured he was screwing with me, he also said they were going to take a hair follicle for drug testing haha

CTPYRO
02-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Lmao... now that's some funny stuff

PyroJoeNEPA
02-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Seems like it is time to make some new friends! LOL!

Jake-Pa
02-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Nah he's a good guy lol

matandch
02-19-2015, 08:10 PM
I almost consider it more of a information session rather than an "interview."

displayfireworks1
02-19-2015, 08:30 PM
This is one of the things I cover in my video. They have a checklist they will review and have you sign. I am not sure if someone out of the Pittsburgh Pa office will visit you or if they will come from another location. If they come out of the Pittsburgh office, they will also have you sign a supplemental piece of paper that further makes it clear you can store 1.3 at your home. Have a place planned like a table where you face each other, so he/she can set their papers down and have a pen ready to sign things they hand you. If you have a fax/scanner offer to copy papers if needed. They may need to add or change something on your application and ask you to initial the change. The interview is more of an educational event.

Jake-Pa
02-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Yea he's coming from Pittsburgh, his name is Jean Corbett if I remember correctly.

Northern Sky
02-19-2015, 09:40 PM
Keep in mind the 54 only allows you to purchase and store as it's not free reign to blast off salutes,ect.

Just a reminder, it does not let you store 1.3. The 54 is a permit to purchase and transport only. Storage is in pre approved manner only.

Look at it as a formal interview though... but be relaxed.. lol

This is spot on. Be relaxed but not not jokingly.

Scott

If you know what you are doing, it is not a difficult process. Be confident.

Good luck.

CTPYRO
02-20-2015, 12:04 PM
I wasn't being to clear on the storage part as I was not referring to storing it in your basement, but more in regards to contingency or an ATF approved mag

Jake-Pa
02-23-2015, 01:30 PM
That was far easier than expected, he was here for about 20 minutes went over the contingency storage and record keeping then told me I would have my license within a month!

CTPYRO
02-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Damn that was pretty quick. I'm betting you will have it less then a month though... probably within two weeks. The inspector will hand in his report and then the license will be processed and mailed out

matandch
02-23-2015, 09:09 PM
Looks like you escaped the going over your house with a fine tooth comb part this time. He must have been in a hurry.

Westpapyro
02-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Did they take a blood and stool sample?
You must have gotten lucky! Lol
Congrats

displayfireworks1
02-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Don't mislead the guy I never heard of the ATF checking anyone's home during the interview process for a Type 54 permit/license. Why do people keep saying these things to scare people away from the ATF fireworks license?
I keep telling fireworks enthusiast this procedure is as easy as Jake-Pa described.

Jake-Pa
02-23-2015, 09:45 PM
They're just picking on me because of my friend haha, but as Dave said it's extremely easy

Westpapyro
02-23-2015, 09:57 PM
I guess one other question I have is do they go over your house with a fine tooth comb? My friend told me they do but I'm never sure if he's lying or not lol

I have no intention of storing anything at my house which is why I figured he was screwing with me, he also said they were going to take a hair follicle for drug testing haha

Seems like it is time to make some new friends! LOL!

Looks like you escaped the going over your house with a fine tooth comb part this time. He must have been in a hurry.

Yep just poking some fun at what his friend started!
Glad it went so smoothly, pm me when you get it. We'll go light something to celebrate!

displayfireworks1
02-23-2015, 10:01 PM
Ok I see it now. The going over the house with a fine tooth comb was said in joking. Sorry . I thought matandch knew better than that, I was thinking why is he saying these things.

matandch
02-23-2015, 10:06 PM
We're just messing with him because of what his friend said. It's really easier than most people think. People call it an "interview" but it's more like an information session of what your responsibilities are.

Jake-Pa
02-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Yep just poking some fun at what his friend started!
Glad it went so smoothly, pm me when you get it. We'll go light something to celebrate!
Sounds good!