PDA

View Full Version : Consumer backyard clearance

N3OQO
02-12-2015, 07:34 PM
In another thread the subject came up of backyard display safe clearance. Yes, 150 feet is ideal. My backyard is limited. I have roughly 30 by 100 to work with, and I keep a 100 foot hose ready to go should it be needed. I start my show on the ground with wheels, fountains, and firecrackers, allowing everyone to watch from the patio, about 20 feet away. After that I have everyone move to one side of the yard and begin the sky show, with about 75 feet clearance. Cakes are duct taped in case of implosion, and mounted on plywood with liquid nails or secured with bricks. Racks are staked firmly with no chance of tipping, and perpendicular to the audience, and I never use fan cakes here. (Love them tho, and do use em) Throwing it out there to see how others handle tight display areas.

ras1986
02-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Honestly Observing your 75 ft per inch rule is key. 2 inch tubes in your cake is 150 feet... duhh. BUT That Wont Work For You here. If you build a blast wall in front of your cakes and shells you can greatly decrease the chances of danger but that doesn't stop low breaks. I've shot many 1.4 shows up close and personal with VERY minimal clearances. That doesn't mean it's safe. I've had close calls where stars have hit observers. Just use your best judgement and this about building that wall in front of your setup

CTPYRO
02-12-2015, 08:47 PM
I've seen some display companies where they use muliple cake finale's have them all boxed in with a wooden box. Exterior seemed to be plywood with a 2x4 box. Not that you need to worry about a B cake tipping over since most are pretty big in size and weight but offers a precaution. I'd consider this for your distance requirements as a safety measure

jknepp1954
02-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Fountain show....no reliable AHJ person is going to sign a permit for anything else.
I would find another location for a NICE show.

PGH_Pyro
02-12-2015, 09:11 PM
extra bracing of every last thing going straight up, of course . (fountains, also. especially big powerful 500 gram type ftns.)
hose/extinguisher on the ready, as well .
sometimes even hosing down the area in a circular radius from where you're shooting/lighting stuff is also a good idea is the grass/brush is crispy dry . "the wet down" as they call it in movie-making .