PDA

View Full Version : type 2 magazine

bearcreek
02-02-2015, 01:24 PM
I'm in the process of getting my ATF permit and I wanted to have my own magazine so I bought a jobox job site box, but I have some questions as to location of an indoor/outdoor box. Can I keep the box in my attached garage or does it have to be in a shed away from the house? where do i find the info on other magazines in my area? Thanks for the help...josh

PyroManiacs
02-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Hey Josh, Welcome to PyroTalk...

There is another member here who knows a good amount of info on this... Im sure he will reply soon.

mguerra
02-02-2015, 02:04 PM
You do not need a type 2 magazine for fireworks, a type 4 will suffice. Here is some general info: http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5400-17.pdf
There are some exceptions to this for a job box, you do not require 1/4" steel hoods for a job box:
https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-3.pdf
If you are contemplating doing this, it is incumbent upon you to do your research, inform yourself of all the rules, regs, and safety concerns and so on. The two pearls I just gave you are just the tip of the iceberg of what you need to know. Happy surfing...

bearcreek
02-02-2015, 02:55 PM
I won't a type 2 so I can store bulk salutes. The job box I have meets all the requirements I'm just unsure if I can store it in my garage or put it in a shed.

mguerra
02-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Yes you need a type 1 or type 2 for bulk salutes. A metal box (job box) needs to be at least 12 gauge steel, the cheaper ones are not. For a type 4, the steel gauge is not specified, there is no minimum.

bearcreek
02-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Well I've done quite a bit of research in the past couple days and found out that I will either have to have a type 4 outdoor mag or I can have a type 4 indoor mag at my buddies house because I do not have a shed away from my house. The job site box I have is a jobox job site box the one with a slopped hood.

bearcreek
02-03-2015, 11:50 AM
I still haven't found in the orange book where it says a type 4 indoor mag can not be in an attached garage though.

mguerra
02-03-2015, 12:24 PM
First and foremost, you cannot store bulk salutes in a Type IV magazine. However, if you will not be storing bulk salutes, here is some info:
(b) Indoor magazine—
(1) General. Indoor magazines are to be fire-resistant and
theft-resistant. They need not be weather-resistant if the buildings
in which they are stored provide protection from the weather. No
indoor magazine is to be located in a residence or dwelling. The
indoor storage of low explosives must not exceed a quantity of 50
pounds. More than one indoor magazine may be located in the
same building if the total quantity of explosive materials stored
does not exceed 50 pounds. Detonators that will not mass
detonate must be stored in a separate magazine and the total
number of electric detonators must not exceed 5,000.

18 U.S.C. 842(j): STORAGE OF EXPLOSIVES
27 CFR 55.208(b)(1), 55.210(b)(1), and 55.211(b)(1): INDOOR STORAGE OF EXPLOSIVES IN A RESIDENCE OR DWELLING

ATF will approve variances to store explosives in a residence or dwelling only upon certain conditions including, but not limited to, receipt of a certification of compliance with State and local law, and documentation that local fire safety officials have received a copy of the certification.

http://www.atf.gov/content/Explosives/explosives-industry/explosives-how-request-variances-exemptions-and-determinations

davidlynch
02-03-2015, 12:25 PM
I still haven't found in the orange book where it says a type 4 indoor mag can not be in an attached garage though.

An attached garage would be part of your residence, and you would not be able to store there without a variance.

joed2323
02-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Does anyone know the minimum distance one could have a shed from your house or neighbors to install a box in one??

Does it say anywhere, that the box has to be x amount of feet from a house? How about property lines or anything along those lines as well??

I would much rather have a small storage box like what the op is talking about...

bearcreek
02-11-2015, 02:30 AM
I thought I saw somewhere is has to be a minimum of 75 feet from corner of house. Or it depends on the pounds of explosives you are storing

mguerra
02-11-2015, 10:56 AM
The table of distances is in the Orange Book, which is available online. The distances are based on the weight of explosives contained in the magazine.

joed2323
02-11-2015, 01:08 PM
So says its in the smallest job box, 50 pounds max correct? 75 feet from a house not poperty line?

mguerra
02-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Everything you need to know is here:
http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5400-7.pdf
If you do not have this and/or have not read it from cover to cover, you need to. There is a vast amount of information you need that you cannot get by asking a few questions here on this forum, you have to do your research.
There are several tables of distances. The one that applies to 1.3G fireworks is table 555.224
The 50 pound limit has nothing to do with a job box. The 50 pound limit applies to any INDOOR magazine of any applicable type. The limits and distances for outdoor magazines are in the above referenced table. Read, read, and read some more.

bearcreek
03-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Will a no.5 master lock padlock work for a type 4 outdoor storage

mguerra
03-02-2015, 12:52 AM
Does it meet the requirements spelled out in the Orange Book? The manufacturers website has the specs.

Fire Art
03-02-2015, 12:37 PM
I will strongly encourage you to check the requirements in the Orange Book but I am pretty sure a #5 Master Lock will not work. Its a 4 pin lock and I am pretty sure you need at least a 5 pin.

bearcreek
03-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Sorry guys I've finally got everything squared away with my mag. Got 2 no. 25 locks coming in the mail. Thanks for all the help even if the ?'s I had could been answered before I asked them