PDA

View Full Version : un exploded shell

ross
01-29-2015, 10:31 AM
how do you deal with a unexploded shell from safe handling do you drop in a bucket water then the atf end does it o back to where
bought it do you disposse bad shell s and how ross

PGH_Pyro
01-29-2015, 01:04 PM
bury it in dirt somewhere and forget about it . water cant be counted on to neutralize it .
i'm not an expert on this topic but that's what I k now and have been told, 100 time s.

Fire Art
01-29-2015, 04:58 PM
bury it in dirt somewhere and forget about it . water cant be counted on to neutralize it .
i'm not an expert on this topic but that's what I k now and have been told, 100 time s.

I don't think that is what it says in the Orange Book and I think ross is looking for the answer he needs to give if asked during an ATF interview.

CTPYRO
01-29-2015, 05:14 PM
Most shells I've seen that didn't go up just need a new leader. But if your shooting for a display company then it all goes back to the importer who will ship it back to the company who made it.. well that's what I'd imagine would be the case

displayfireworks1
01-29-2015, 10:38 PM
Bury it in the dirt, ship it back to the importer. That is funny.
I will bet anyone that wants to bet, there is not one fireworks company in United States that has shipped any fireworks back to China over the last several years or longer. Once that shipment makes it to United States its over. Any defects or failures are negotiated out in the form of refund , replacement or discount towards future products.
If you know what you are doing you just refuse the shells that did not fire and shoot them 20 minutes after the display. However, when you get a large amount of shells that did not go, for example on large computerized pyro-musicals, You just load them back up and take them back to the plant. Of course that is a whole other story involving placards and bill of laden, proper boxing etc.
What does the fireworks plant do with the shells that did not fire? Take them apart and make mines out of the stars , re-fuse them to use on other displays or just burn them with the rest of other garbage. A damaged leader fuse can easily be fused to reuse on a computerized or pin board display.

Pyro k
01-30-2015, 10:58 AM
I don't think that is what it says in the Orange Book and I think ross is looking for the answer he needs to give if asked during an ATF interview.

I agree. However, I was told the same thing from my supplier? "Bury the duds in the ground, so nobody can get their hands on it".

CTPYRO
01-30-2015, 12:33 PM
I know at times when we have run into this situation we have used the shells in other shows....

matandch
01-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Destroying it in a burn pile is another option.

PGH_Pyro
01-30-2015, 04:50 PM
wow sorry guys to have offended the shaolin temple, lol. (keep in mind, I was thinking 1.4 shells, not 1.3 which is obviously, a whole other animal .)
again, that's just what i've been told .
i havent personally had to deal/worry about dud shells too often . maybe a dud 1.4 ball shall once in a blue moon (that i just re-fused, ever so carefully and then shot as normal . some people ive seen will destroy it with a cracker or another shell to not have to worry about it, later .

ras1986
01-30-2015, 08:36 PM
Destroying it in a burn pile is another option.

Lol!!! ^^^^

matandch
01-30-2015, 08:54 PM
I'm not kidding. It's a viable method of disposing of dud shells.